Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
He horned for the same reason "I" would horn...leaving 3 car lengths between you and the person in front of you makes the rest of us behind you sit at stop lights 3 times!

No, You're not supposed to tailgate, but one car length is sufficient considering that the road is not yours, and you also don't have the right to decide how many cars will pass on green, and how many will sit at stop lights 3, 4 times.

It is in the driving manual as well, as it is common sense.
(or driving "courtesy"!)
One car length for every 10 miles per hour, is that so hard to figure out?

What manual are you quoting? The one about renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
3 car lengths is why there is so much traffic...these yuppies or whatever you call them, are only looking to spend more time driving because they need to justify paying $350+ on car payments, and the rest of us who have somewhere to actually go, have to sit around and wait for them to play with their toys! Its is ridiculously annoying that traffic laws are disrespected in favor of leather seats and MP3 players, and some other gadgets that don't belong in a VEHICLE.

Buy an RV is you want to use a vehicle for other purposes than it was originally intended. To get you from point A to point B!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Seats and music don't belong in a vehicle? There's a new one.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
Quote:
these yuppies or whatever you call them, are only looking to spend more time driving because they need to justify paying $350+ on car payments, and the rest of us who have somewhere to actually go, have to sit around and wait for them to play with their toys! Its is ridiculously annoying that traffic laws are disrespected in favor of leather seats and MP3 players, and some other gadgets that don't belong in a VEHICLE.

Buy an RV is you want to use a vehicle for other purposes than it was originally intended. To get you from point A to point B!
Hopefully you drive something akin to one if these just do you don't look like a hypocrite or anything:

Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,050 times
It's interesting to read the input from people who seem to have this whole darn thing figured out. Two million people in the metro area, and it seems like each and every person behind the wheel is a psychiatrist.

And 1.6 million of them are driving SUVs and pickup trucks directly to hell...

Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
One car length for every 10 miles per hour, is that so hard to figure out?

What manual are you quoting? The one about renters?
Lollerskates! I wish the City Data gods didn't limit the ability to give rep so much! It isn't my fault that the same handful of people make all the good posts!

Keep in mind that this driving advice is coming from someone who wants to live in a walkable neighborhood, yet wants to be able to drive seventy miles per hour any time a car is necessary to do errands. In addition, this advice is coming from someone who doesn't know the difference between an interstate sign and a speed limit sign.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,020 times
Quote:
3 car lengths is why there is so much traffic...these yuppies or whatever you call them, are only looking to spend more time driving because they need to justify paying $350+ on car payments, and the rest of us who have somewhere to actually go, have to sit around and wait for them to play with their toys! Its is ridiculously annoying that traffic laws are disrespected in favor of leather seats and MP3 players, and some other gadgets that don't belong in a VEHICLE.

I have gadgets, including an MP3 player. If I were to have a payment on my car, it would assuredly be over $350, assuming I had no money to put down (which is a topic for a thread not on C-D). I am never trying to spend more time in my car than I need to. In fact, quite the opposite. I drive generally pretty fast, try my best to keep a proper distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me, as well as beside me, and attempt to stay out of the way of mergers in effort to keep traffic moving.

I'm only one example out of many. But I am willing to bet car payment or number of gadgets does not have a direct correlation to how slowly someone drives. In fact, I would bet the opposite, in general, because these gadget laden cars handle better and are safer at speed.

Please put your broad brush away.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
How would all you tree huggers feel if Escalades got 80 miles per gallon?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Quote:
That point would just drop off and it'd be something else to latch on to.

Side note: I hate SUV's and would never buy one (I have a Japanese 4 cylinder car).

Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,357,825 times
Quote:

Depends on if they keep veering left of center because the driver bought a vehicle beyond his/her skill to control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh