Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
No, they do. Throw up a small seating area and suddenly you have a license to sell take out beer because you're a restaurant. It's not that uncommon.
Hm. I am aware of the cafe licenses; it's the same way Giant Eagle can sell beer. I didn't gather they had gotten to the point where urban convenience stores were buying them. They also have to keep it segregated from the rest of the store unless they're only a cafe. I guess if they can do all that and the math works out....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Hm. I am aware of the cafe licenses; it's the same way Giant Eagle can sell beer. I didn't gather they had gotten to the point where urban convenience stores were buying them. They also have to keep it segregated from the rest of the store unless they're only a cafe. I guess if they can do all that and the math works out....

To legally sell any type of booze in PA, you need a licenses (as stated) and that DOES take some effort. I am not sure if the cafe lic is the same as a six pack shop lisc? either way kudos to those stores getting around teh system-- smart move

I was visiting a friend in East Lib and saw/heard what I thought was an ice cream truck , but rather was a "store on wheels" -- they also sold booze and I KNOW that did not have any license hahaha

Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
To legally sell any type of booze in PA, you need a licenses (as stated) and that DOES take some effort. I am not sure if the cafe lic is the same as a six pack shop lisc? either way kudos to those stores getting around teh system-- smart move
I think they're the same. In all cases the establishment selling the 6-packs has to have a seating area and sell food. Even the bottle shops like D's in Regent Square and the one in Wexford and so forth have to sell food. A pizza joint is just an older example of this. In Giant Eagle and Wegmans and other existing stores that sell stuff other than just the food served, the technicality is they have to sell the beer in a separated (the separation is fairly modest) section of the store with a separate register and they have to have seating and sell prepared foods that go with the seating. Presumably the urban convenience stores in question could have jumped through the hoops.

The other place that can sell 6-packs is a bar of course. A bar license is more expensive and complicated apparently, but you can also sell more stuff. The cafe or whatever class in question can't sell hard liquor drinks. It may be able to sell wine, though, as I know you can buy a glass of wine at Robinson Market District (Giant Eagle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I was visiting a friend in East Lib and saw/heard what I thought was an ice cream truck , but rather was a "store on wheels" -- they also sold booze and I KNOW that did not have any license hahaha
Heh, not aware of this one. If it's a "store on wheels" presumably they were not giving it away and also probably wouldn't be in a configuration that was even capable of being licensed that I can think of. You can give away booze with no license at least to some degree. You just can't sell. A restaurant with no license can allow you to bring in your own booze (and charge a fee, or not, and provide glassware and such), and they can also give away glasses of wine or beer or whatever if they choose to. I've even heard of this in strip clubs. Never been but my understanding was you pay cover charge but inside whatever they serve is then "free", and for that they do not need to be licensed! Now out of a truck, I think you might still have some open container issues on the street or something.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 PM

118 posts, read 235,615 times
I'd avoid the Rocks.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_burgher View Post
I'd avoid the Rocks.

Could you elaborate some more? I mean is the level of crime and potential harm really there or is just assumed like most of the "bad" areas of the burgh.

Now keep in mind I am not paying for this housing. So its not like I am looking to "pick" my best neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times
That was a blanket statement... The projects are the areas with high crime, while the rest of McKees Rocks is a gritty white area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh