Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,248 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone had advice, ideas for us. We are coming to Pittsburgh from the Bahamas, so that our daughter can receive treatment at Children's Instittue for approximately 5 weeks. We are looking for an inexpensive place to rent along with a car to rent. Look forward to hearing from anyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
Have you discussed this with the hospital? As I recall, they offer a service to take care of accommodations for out-of-town families. They may actually own the place you would be staying.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
I agree with RyanR. Children's Institute should be able to help you.

Ronald McDonald House and Family House come to mind as places specializing in this type of lodging. If you are coming after May 1, you may be able to find University students looking to sublet.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM

56 posts, read 100,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
I agree with RyanR. Children's Institute should be able to help you.

Ronald McDonald House and Family House come to mind as places specializing in this type of lodging. If you are coming after May 1, you may be able to find University students looking to sublet.
Yup. All of this.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
You may want to check out Family House: Family House Pittsburgh PA | Affordable Housing During Hospital Stays In Pittsburgh It is a wonderful organization.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I only know what it says online from Children's Institute. It says for inpatient one parent can stay with the child overnight. They also have a house on property that has rooms for which they charge a very minimal amount. The house has rules for no other children under 12, though, and the child patients are not allowed in there either.

So if this is to be on a more outpatient basis and/or additional young family members are coming along, you'd have to look to one of the other places mentioned (Family House, Ronald McDonald, etc.) Family House works pretty much like an inexpensive hotel I believe.

And there's definitely someone at the Children's Institute to contact who should be able to help you in the right direction.

Not sure if there would be anything special with cars. Major rental agencies do offer monthly rates, typically. You may also be able to join the Zipcar car sharing service and then use a car only when necessary. (I do not know if there are residency restrictions on joining Zipcar.) Assuming you are staying at Children's Institute, Family House, etc. there should be some Zipcars living nearby.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times
Childrens Hospital should def be able to point you in the correct direction -

I have no children , but had to take a little cousin there from a Kennywood accident (broken leg) ... I cannot begin to describe the level of care they provide!! There is no way to explain the level of care they provide unitl you experience if yourself...

I will donate to any and every $ drive they have for the rest of my life (or unitl I cannot finacially do it anymore)

Sorry to get off subject, however I am almost positive they will have multiple suggestions for you , especially since you are traveling so very far.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
The Children's Institute is different than Children's Hospital.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,248 times
thanks everyone. At the moment it's between Childrens' Institute and Children's Hospital where we will be receiving her therapy. My mother and 21 month old will be joining us. The Instititue is checking into Ronald McDonald house, but really it's avaialbe for in patients families and only available for 2 weeks.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
If you can't find accommodations from what you've seen above, you might try Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb. It's kind of like a bnb, but different. Sometimes you get an apartment, sometimes a few rooms, you can choose the accommodations you're interested in on the right hand side. You can specify your requirements.

People rate the lodgings and owner, and the tenants/clients are rated as well.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: