Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times

Advertisements

Friendship is great. Although we live in Lawrenceville, our daughter is on the waiting list for Montessori (number six as of around a month ago, meaning she has a good chance of getting in). We eat at the Quiet Storm around once a week, and stop off in the playground afterwards. I also lived there (well, technically, right across the border on South Negley) for two years before we bought our house five years ago.

The neighborhood is way out of our price range. The population of the neighborhood as Pittsburgh describes it is still overwhelmingly renters, but this is in part because the City claims the border between it and Bloomfield is South Aiken, where residents typically divide it at Gross Street, right past Friendship Park.

In general, the areas closer towards (or inside) Bloomfield are more family oriented. The houses get progressively grander the closer you get to East Liberty, but these are still mostly subdivided into rental units (mainly for college/grad students these days), as they're so huge that it's not feasible to use them as single-family residences any longer.

Even with the bus cuts, it's also blessed with the best transit options in the city. Usually you are a short walk from the 86 or 88, and depending upon your location, you may easily be able to walk to the busway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM

18 posts, read 40,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Friendship is one of the city's nicer neighborhoods, although if your afriad of black people don't move there because it's very diverse...
Yes, if you're afraid of black people, white people, Asian people, old people, young people, gay people, foreign people, DON'T MOVE THERE!

I love living in Friendship!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Just to echo everyone else, Friendship is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, and was on our short list when we were looking for places for our young family back in 2008. It was originally a top upper-middle-/professional-class neighborhood, and has some great housing stock along with an excellent location. It has indeed been rapidly improving in recent years, with lots of people investing in restoring grand homes, sometimes converting them back from apartments, and while there is still a rental market in Friendship many of those rentals units have moved upscale (so you are talking about a lot of young professionals and such renting there these days). Personally I am quite confident that is a trend that will continue, particularly with East Liberty rapidly redeveloping, and I would note that by the time Friendship has been established for decades as one of the nicest neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, it will also be priced accordingly.

So as long as you are OK going the charter/private route for schools, I wouldn't have any problem recommending it. Incidentally, I'd guess that place linked above needed significant work, and that is something you would want to watch out for: some of those grand old places have incredible potential, but will need a significant investment. That could easily be worth doing if you are interested in such a project, but you'd definitely want to get a good idea of what you are looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh