Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 32,662 times

Advertisements

Do you guys know if there is a 2012 version of the following?
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/pub472.pdf

Is it true that a violation of Vehicle code section 3111 (sub section a) [Obedience to traffic-control devices]does not go against driving records and is not reported to insurance companies?
Obedience to traffic-control devices - 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3111 - Pennsylvania Attorney Resources - Pennsylvania Laws

Whereas a violation of Vehicle code 3112 [Failure to stop for a traffic-control signal] does affect your driving record and is reported to insurance companies.
http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/v...1.012.000.html

A friend of a friend wants to know... thanks: )
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
Probably. I don't know the details on that, but I have had a zero-point speeding ticket (reduced to 5 over limit at court, which is zero points), and that was never reported on my driving record. So that experience suggests anything that is zero points will not be reported on a driving record. Basically there's a separate offense for running a red light (and another separate one for not stopping at a stop sign) and of course speeding and 3111 is supposed to catch everything else I suppose. Notice they've apparently amended 3111 for the red light cameras, as people most definitely won't stand for those being a point offense!

The points list you linked should still be correct. That all assumes PA violation with PA license though. If either half of that equation is not in PA then YMMV. Despite the fact that most states are reciprocal with each other in terms of reporting violations, in practice that is still pretty iffy so a violation out of state may not turn up on a PA driving record or vice-versa.

Is your friend of a friend trying to make a plea to the other offense or something? I never figured out how to do that in the district justice court. I just went and tried to argue about the speed being too low on the road and that the lines the local cop used were too close together. Judge said after hearing everything he'd reduce it to 5 over which is no points and a small refund on the fine. Good enough for me.

Back in my early days I had to take that Special Points Exam once.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

Police officer apparently said to just mail the fine in and it would not appear on record or insurance. Problem is mailing in fine requires a plead of guilty to be signed off, so mainly trying to verify what the police officer said.

Guilty guy does not have a problem with this, just doesn't want any unknown repercussions to surface later.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,650,216 times
They don't usually lie about that. If it's an offense with points (or not) they're pretty straight up, although they may not always know the proper number of points. (When I got my speeding ticket that caused me to need to take the points test, I think the cop told me it was 5 points but it was only 4.) They still need to write some tix here and there I'm sure. So I'd take the cop at his word. Think he's got nothing to worry about here. Probably a local cop and they just want the town to make a little money from the fines.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:20 PM

You pretty much nailed it with that description. He misquoted the saved points and was with township PD.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh