Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Declining "ghettos": Marshall-Shadeland, parts of Penn Hills, most of Mt. Oliver Boro, Knoxville, Carrick, Allentown, a small part of West Homestead, parts of: Swissvale & Sheraden.
Off the deep end=continual decline: Northview Heights, Perry Hilltop, California-Kirkbride, the McKees Rocks projects, Fairywood, Arlington, Arlington Heights, Beltzhoover, Homewood, the East Hills, Larimer, parts of Wilkinsburg Lincoln-Lemington, Terrace Village, Bedford Dwelings, Middle Hill, South Oakland, Glen Hazel & Homestead.
Upswing: East Liberty north of the Blvd, Upper Manchester, Crawford-Roberts Hill & Hazelwood, Garfield, "HoodTown" in Central Northside & East Dutchtown to a small degree...

Notably stagnant areas: most of McKees Rocks-Stowe, Uptown, Spring Garden, Carnegie, Elspen, Bon Air, Sharpsburg, parts of Brentwood, Etna & parts of Munhall.
Nice areas in noteable decline: southern part of Brighton Heights, part of Perry North (Watson Boulevard to Waldrof Street), part of Mt. Washington (south of Bailey Ave-east of Ruth St), Mt. Oliver & certain parts of Elliot.
Gritty-safe with "potental": Millvale, parts of Stowe Township, McKees Rocks Bottoms, Troy Hill, Larwanceville, part of Bloomfield & Greenfield

Last edited by Uptown kid; 03-28-2012 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
I would say Wilkins, Churchill, Forest Hills, and Monroeville qualify as stagnant to declining. Much of the Eastern suburbs is.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I would say Wilkins, Churchill, Forest Hills, and Monroeville qualify as stagnant to declining. Much of the Eastern suburbs is.
sad thing is, from what I have heard Churchill used to be considered similar to Mt.Lebanon. Woodland Hills really killed that community sadly although the good housing stock with relative safety might save it from the fate places such as Penn Hills are having

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What about some of the more anonymous "middle class" neighborhoods... like Lincoln Place, Banksville or Windgap?
This is a good point.

The issue with these faceless "middle class" (working-class really, but with older, established homeowners, not renters) neighborhoods is few new people want to live there. They don't appeal to gentrifiers or hipsters, because they mostly lack nice old houses, good public transit options, or walkable commercial areas with anything going on. They don't appeal to suburbanites, because although they are suburban in character, you still pay city taxes and go to city schools. The biggest draw I'm aware of is for city employees, who are required to live within the city - some want a suburban experience within urban confines. Practically speaking, however, there are probably only enough city employees to fill up demand in one or two of Pittsburgh's modest surburban-style neighborhoods. Houses may pass down with families, but when an elderly person dies with no kin who want to live there, it's going to get more and more difficult to fill those vacancies - at least with homeowners.

Quote:
I would certainly disagree with the characterization of Hill District as "rock bottom"... that neighborhood has seems massive amounts of construction and investment in the past decade...
Agreed. Although one shouldn't just take the change in white population as an indication of changing fortunes of a neighborhood, over the last decade, the white population increased, both in absolute numbers and as a percentage, in all five of the Hill District's neighborhoods.

Oh, and since someone mentioned Fairywood - it's gone, AFAIK. They tore down the project and put up market rate housing, and there's been essentially a 100% turnover in population.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
It seems to me that the hilltop hoods are getting hit the hardest with decline with the east hills in a close second.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
We all know that the East End and South Side are mostly reestablished and healthy, and the North Side is mostly in transition for the better. That leaves the South Hills and West End as areas of relative disinvestment that are in danger of decline, if they're not declining already.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Quote:
I would certainly disagree with the characterization of Hill District as "rock bottom"... that neighborhood has seems massive amounts of construction and investment in the past decade... and holds great potential with the redevelopment of the Civic Arena site. Hill District is certainly not "stable"... but it's seen a dramatic improvement from its darkest days. Bluff/Uptown also has promise... though I don't think Consol Center and Duquesne's projects have spun off into neighborhood development yet.
I agree with you. As someone who spends a decent amount of time in that neighborhood, particularly in Crawford Square and Uptown, I rather like the Hill District. Centre Avenue, inside of Kirkpatrick is coming along nicely with some renovated storefronts and the library. The new Shop 'N Save will be a solid addition to the business district and will perhaps bring some residents from Downtown into the neighborhood. The Hill District is a long way from rock bottom.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 AM

349 posts, read 616,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
We all know that the East End and South Side are mostly reestablished and healthy, and the North Side is mostly in transition for the better. That leaves the South Hills and West End as areas of relative disinvestment that are in danger of decline, if they're not declining already.

I'm guessing you don't live in South Side. The nightlife is stable, the college dorms are stable, but the living certainly isn't. Unless you enjoy police and fire sirens at all hours of the day and night, constant traffic, violence, drunks, and plenty of drugs, you won't like living here. I honestly can't wait to move, and I've lived here my entire life. It's gone from quiet to 11 in about ten years time.

I'd say Carrick is fast declining, alot of poverty and drugs, violence are taken over the area. Mt Oliver, Arlington have always been pretty bad, so that's nothing new.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
I'm guessing you don't live in South Side. The nightlife is stable, the college dorms are stable, but the living certainly isn't. Unless you enjoy police and fire sirens at all hours of the day and night, constant traffic, violence, drunks, and plenty of drugs, you won't like living here. I honestly can't wait to move, and I've lived here my entire life. It's gone from quiet to 11 in about ten years time.

I'd say Carrick is fast declining, alot of poverty and drugs, violence are taken over the area. Mt Oliver, Arlington have always been pretty bad, so that's nothing new.

That's just because the Zone 3 police station was moved to the flats recently, and the fire station is there as well. The other stuff is nothing beyond what you would see in a central 24/7 neighborhood in any other city.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is a good point.

The issue with these faceless "middle class" (working-class really, but with older, established homeowners, not renters) neighborhoods is few new people want to live there. They don't appeal to gentrifiers or hipsters, because they mostly lack nice old houses, good public transit options, or walkable commercial areas with anything going on. They don't appeal to suburbanites, because although they are suburban in character, you still pay city taxes and go to city schools. The biggest draw I'm aware of is for city employees, who are required to live within the city - some want a suburban experience within urban confines. Practically speaking, however, there are probably only enough city employees to fill up demand in one or two of Pittsburgh's modest surburban-style neighborhoods. Houses may pass down with families, but when an elderly person dies with no kin who want to live there, it's going to get more and more difficult to fill those vacancies - at least with homeowners.

Agreed. Although one shouldn't just take the change in white population as an indication of changing fortunes of a neighborhood, over the last decade, the white population increased, both in absolute numbers and as a percentage, in all five of the Hill District's neighborhoods.

Oh, and since someone mentioned Fairywood - it's gone, AFAIK. They tore down the project and put up market rate housing, and there's been essentially a 100% turnover in population.
I think Lincoln Place is still in pretty good shape. Thankfully, a lot of cops still live there. Most of the houses are well kept but ther are some that clearly need a lot of work. Not everyone wants a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house anymore but they are priced cheap. Most go for between 60,000-110,000. Mifflin Elementary School is far from awful and you go to Allderdice for high school. In short if is a very safe and affordable city neighborhood. If you are Catholic, it feeds to St. Theresa's in Munhall which is still a thriving Parish although no where near what it was when the Mills were booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh