Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I also think that Pittsburgh drivers are among the best in the country.
If you want bad, try driving in Missouri or the Boston Area.
Just read that about Missouri.

You are right about that. I was surprised I made it out of there alive! St. Louis was awful to drive through.

I thought maybe it was just that part of Missouri, but they seemed just as bad on the other side of state (Kansas City).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I think the tunnel thing is pretty unique to Pittsburgh. But I've only got NYC and Boston to compare it to. They don't slow down for tunnels there.
Those are two great examples, and when I'm complaining about Pittsburgh drivers, these two cities are what I reference. My wife and I have been to these two cities multiple times since we have been married, and the first thing we say when we are in traffic is "if this was in Pittsburgh".

You can call NYC or Boston drivers "bad" all you want, but they keep moving.

Last night, I'm coming home around 6:45, dry driving conditions with beautiful sunshine and blue skies. As I exit the Blvd of Allies to 376 East I see traffic gathering........and slowing....................no accident, no construction in that direction or time. Unbelievable

Old 03-30-2012, 06:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I think the tunnel thing is pretty unique to Pittsburgh. But I've only got NYC and Boston to compare it to. They don't slow down for tunnels there.

As an aside, when I was living in Mexico City, it was not at all uncommon to make a left turn off a stop light from any lane, not just the left-most. Now that was fun stuff.

Personally, I don't give way for the Pittsburgh left thing unless my Pittsburgh-native wife is in the car.
I hate tunnel turtles.
They should all be ticketed.

If you're afraid to drive through a tunnel, take an alternate route.
The Squirrel Hill tunnels are the worst!
One or two jerks can ensure that traffic is tied up for hours.

For the Pittsburgh left, it's there for a reason.
I hope no one ever offers you the courtesy and that you hold up traffic for 5-10 minutes.

I live in Europe at the moment and no one slows in tunnels.
(We can pass in tunnels, too).

Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 AM

321 posts, read 860,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
South Florida is the worst. People seem to be more self centered. They drive over 100 mph, weave in and out of traffic, don't use turn signals, cut you off etc.
I've driven extensively all over the country too. I've only been to Florida once, but my experiences in Florida fully support it being the worst. Specifically, it had the greatest number of people blocking the left lane on the freeway when they weren't passing people of anywhere I've been. I went there once, and drove for a few hours, and it was glaringly obvious. For being there such a short time, that's really saying something.

I agree that Pittsburgh has some of the best drivers. Stopping at the bottom of the exit ramp is an issue (I might end up rear ending one of yinz someday) but as far as everything else goes Pittsburgh drivers are great and exceptionally courteous, something you don't see practically anywhere else in the country. Which is necessary given Pittsburgh's congestion, layout, and topography. For those who haven't thought it through, the Pittsburgh Left drastically reduces wait time in heavy traffic for most vehicles. I'm always disappointed that I don't see MORE people using the Pittsburgh Left.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For the Pittsburgh left, it's there for a reason.
I hope no one ever offers you the courtesy and that you hold up traffic for 5-10 minutes.
Where I grew up, most alert drivers making a left turn made the turn anyway. You anticipate the light and just go.

If you're planning on making a left from a dead stop at a light, I expect you to be ready. If you are, take it. If you're not, I'm beating you to the intersection. So get off the phone and be ready.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
It's my observation that Pittsburgh drivers poke on the freeways but speed and break all kinds of laws while on city streets and residential areas. Stop signs seem to be mere suggestions and stop lights are ran on a frequent basis throughout the city and region. Maybe half of the drivers use their turn signals. I was in the Cincinnati area recently and most drivers there were using turn signals, even when cutting you off!

Also I wish drivers would move over so you can merge onto the freeway. I've notice western PA is bad about this. I travel throughout the tri-state and the one car that's not moving over is always from PA. Yet they will stop in the middle of a busy multiple lane road and let someone in front of them who doesn't even have the right of way. Crazy!

But compared to most places, drivers here aren't that terribly bad. Go up to Connecticut or the Boston area...those drivers are insane!
My 3.5 years in CT were by far and away my encounter with the best drivers in the country. There is one thing I miss about CT, and that's the way people drove on the interstate. Merged quickly. Generally quite aware of surroundings. Etc. I think the fact that there was a cell phone law there for quite some time, it's pretty heavily enforced (I was pulled over on my own very residential street), and people actually obey it had quite a lot to do with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Those are two great examples, and when I'm complaining about Pittsburgh drivers, these two cities are what I reference. My wife and I have been to these two cities multiple times since we have been married, and the first thing we say when we are in traffic is "if this was in Pittsburgh".

You can call NYC or Boston drivers "bad" all you want, but they keep moving.

Last night, I'm coming home around 6:45, dry driving conditions with beautiful sunshine and blue skies. As I exit the Blvd of Allies to 376 East I see traffic gathering........and slowing....................no accident, no construction in that direction or time. Unbelievable
Yeah I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on. I came from the same place but slightly earlier. It took me nearly an hour to get home in Shadyside. All of Oakland was backed up, too. The whole ramp to Forbes, etc. That's usually only true when there's a Pitt game.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
My 3.5 years in CT were by far and away my encounter with the best drivers in the country. There is one thing I miss about CT, and that's the way people drove on the interstate. Merged quickly. Generally quite aware of surroundings. Etc. I think the fact that there was a cell phone law there for quite some time, it's pretty heavily enforced (I was pulled over on my own very residential street), and people actually obey it had quite a lot to do with it.
SW CT native here. IMO, the biggest difference between here and there is on the entrance ramps and merging into high speed flow. In CT (and NY/MA), it's virtually seamless. It's rare you see anyone slow down and extremely rare to see someone stop and wait to merge. Other drivers cede a small space and you take it.

And you're right, as a generalization, drivers anticipate much better.

One thing I'll give Pgh credit for is that the mess going southbound into the Ft. Pitt bridge and tunnel from 376 and 279 generally works pretty well. The people who feel they have to merge immediately into the adjacent lane once on the bridge are the exception rather than the rule. Keep moving, merge later, you'll get in.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Now if you want real insane drivers, go drive in Paris.
I have a photo that I took 20-some years ago from the top of the Arc de Triomphe of the traffic in the circle around it that I labeled "why I'd never drive in Paris." There are no designated lanes, there are cars in the picture driving perpendicular to the car next to them trying to drive across three or four "lanes" of traffic to get to one of the spoke streets off of the circle. It is complete anarchy.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I have a photo that I took 20-some years ago from the top of the Arc de Triomphe of the traffic in the circle around it that I labeled "why I'd never drive in Paris." There are no designated lanes, there are cars in the picture driving perpendicular to the car next to them trying to drive across three or four "lanes" of traffic to get to one of the spoke streets off of the circle. It is complete anarchy.
I drove in roundabouts that were six lanes with no lane markers with Paris rush hour traffic. Yeah, never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh