Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

If you are interested in playing on red clay, you can try out the courts in Frick Park, and there is also an associated tennis club (you don't need to be a member to play, but they organize ladders, tournaments, and other events and help maintain and improve the courts):

Frick Park Clay Court Tennis Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM

63 posts, read 107,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you are interested in playing on red clay
Thanks much for info.
Will keep it in mind, but the times I have played on clay I felt like a fish out of water. More used to hard courts.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM

748 posts, read 819,961 times
Mt Lebanon has "bubbles" for indoor play during the winter. (Upper Saint Claire also if I'm not mistaken.) There are tennis courts all over, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. Schenley Park has a row of vibrant courts, that's the place to go to meet other tennis players.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Mt Lebanon has "bubbles" for indoor play during the winter. (Upper Saint Claire also if I'm not mistaken.) There are tennis courts all over, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them. Schenley Park has a row of vibrant courts, that's the place to go to meet other tennis players.
Another good place to meet other players is the set of courts on Stanton near the Highland Park entrance. Just follow Stanton Avenue as far as you can towards the zoo, you can't miss them.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I have played a lot of tennis in my day. If you are having trouble finding a game I would then urge you to join a club. The reason for this is that there are events, clinics and a pro available to help you set up a game.

Where do you live? How old are you? Do you anticipate living here for a bit? Depending on that there are a lot of options.

If you let me know where you live and whether or not you are willing to join a club I can give you some thoughts.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
My wife and I belonged to Oxford Club in Wexford and she got into a few leagues. Problem is, most of the Wexford Wives don't work and play during the day. She had trouble finding "picj-up" games in the evening.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have played a lot of tennis in my day. If you are having trouble finding a game I would then urge you to join a club.
I am new to the area and had not really started to look until about 2 weeks ago. There is a tennis Meetup which is starting very soon.

Have also been looking at a couple of clubs that people have suggested in this thread.

Quote:
The reason for this is that there are events, clinics and a pro available to help you set up a game.
Yes, definitely a club seems like a great way to meet people to play with.

Quote:
Where do you live? How old are you? Do you anticipate living here for a bit? Depending on that there are a lot of options.
Robinson township, 42 years old, hope to stay in area for a while (as long as I keep my job, which is the reason I moved here for).

There are some clinics at CityScape that look pretty good. Going to check them out. That should also be a good way to meet players at my level.

With all the suggestion in this thread and what I have found so far online I think I will be in good shape relatively soon.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My wife and I belonged to Oxford Club in Wexford
Oxford definitely looks very interesting. If I can convince my wife to take tennis maybe we can join together.

Besides tennis, Oxford seems like a nice all around club.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I have friend whose kids take lessons at this place. I think it may be easier to meet people at a smaller club. Oxford is massive. I also like Har Tru courts and they have 4.

Welcome to Glen Creek Tennis Club

There is also Winwood up near Wexford. I am sorry I am not that familiar with the Robinson area. However, if you have a bigger budget and looking for something upscale I would look at the Edgeworth Club in Sewickley.

Lastly, let me promote my sport of choice. Platform tennis, aka paddle. I have a lot of friends who played tennis growing up (some even played college tennis) and now they won't set foot on a tennis court but will play paddle. Awesome game.

Western Pennsylvania Platform Tennis Assoc.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
I have friend whose kids take lessons at this place. I think it may be easier to meet people at a smaller club. Oxford is massive. I also like Har Tru courts and they have 4.

Welcome to Glen Creek Tennis Club

There is also Winwood up near Wexford. I am sorry I am not that familiar with the Robinson area. However, if you have a bigger budget and looking for something upscale I would look at the Edgeworth Club in Sewickley.

Lastly, let me promote my sport of choice. Platform tennis, aka paddle. I have a lot of friends who played tennis growing up (some even played college tennis) and now they won't set foot on a tennis court but will play paddle. Awesome game.

Western Pennsylvania Platform Tennis Assoc.
Played some platform with my wife as my knees got older. The next big thing will be Pickleball, IMHO. Play it when we go to Florida, all the fun of tennis without the running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh