Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of it is also simple population shift--a little bit migrants, but mostly just more and more people coming of age who didn't directly experience the steel bust trauma and have mostly grown up with Pittsburgh doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM

395 posts, read 488,074 times
As far as the cosmopolitan. Hillbillies. Thing and the rural city thing I heard Nashville north Carolina. Was. Basically the same thing

Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Pittsburgh is not mid-western at all!
I lived in Michigan and Kansas, and visited Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City etc., Pittsburgh is not like any of those. Pittsburgh looks very east-coast, and often reminds me of Europe.

It is a pity that American cities do not have distinct dialects any more. In Asia and Europe, you can pretty much tell where a person is from just by listening to him (if you know the language well, of course.)

In the US however, from Seattle to Washington DC, from Chicago to Houston, (educated, young) people pretty much speak in the same accent.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

In the US however, from Seattle to Washington DC, from Chicago to Houston, (educated, young) people pretty much speak in the same accent.
this is entirely untrue....

Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
this is entirely untrue....
It is relatively true, compared to the situation in Asia and Europe.

A person from London and a person from Edinburgh sound VERY different. Even some southern England dialects are half intelligible to me.
Berlin German and Zurich German are not mutually intelligible. Not to mention Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is relatively true, compared to the situation in Asia and Europe.

A person from London and a person from Edinburgh sound VERY different. Even some southern England dialects are half intelligible to me.
Berlin German and Zurich German are not mutually intelligible. Not to mention Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.
yes...but his/her statement is still entirely untrue...there are MANY regional and even City accents in this country. Someone in Pittsburgh can sound ENTIRELY different than someone in Cleveland or Morgantown, WV 2 hours away

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I think a lot of this depends on context. Even with my well-educated professional-class friends, it has always been a whole different ballgame when they are chatting with their childhood friends or family. That has been true not just of the native Pittsburghers, but people from the New York Metro, the South, California, Chicago, and so on.

And I suspect the same is true of me--if you know what a Michigan accent sounds like, I'll bet anything mine is a lot more detectable when I am talking with my family.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think a lot of this depends on context. Even with my well-educated professional-class friends, it has always been a whole different ballgame when they are chatting with their childhood friends or family. That has been true not just of the native Pittsburghers, but people from the New York Metro, the South, California, Chicago, and so on.

And I suspect the same is true of me--if you know what a Michigan accent sounds like, I'll bet anything mine is a lot more detectable when I am talking with my family.
In Michigan, the major problem is that they pronounce "bag" as "biag". When I say "ten", they also think it is "tan'.
Other than that, it is pretty much easy to understand for those who are used to American English in news.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 700 times
I have to disagree with the writer that said people from Pittsburgh think any other place would be better off someplace else. So not true. I would also say that a lot of people who move would love to move back. The city has changed from the reputation as a dirty steel town to a town of techology and medical excellence. To bad people who degrade our great town don't bother to come and visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh