Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best design?
GBBN 26 45.61%
IKM 16 28.07%
Desmone 15 26.32%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,336 times

Advertisements

*turned on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
It's exactly gimmick architecture, and it's sad because the "Smithfield Street Bridge Inspiration" has everyone all turned [on] despite its execution being absolutely miserable.
I disagree with the notion that execution is "absolutely miserable".

First, I think including both the bridge and 4 Smithfield as a joint reference is pretty cool.

Second, I think the overall composition of the design, including the angling of the western face and the way the "4 Smithfield" portion extends out from the glass portion, is also pretty cool.

I honestly think what is happening here is that people who simply don't like the aesthetics of the design--which of course is a subjective matter--are trying to make the case there is something objectively wrong with the design. I just don't buy it--the case they are making really is just subjective.

Note this doesn't include people who are concerned about how the interior would function--on that issue I am reserving judgment since we don't have many details.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Overall it's just nothing to get excited about design-wise. If I had to pick one, it's still the first one. But only if I had to pick one of these.

The idea that someone puts up a new building over there is good. It is perhaps not large enough or the right type of people to expect some kind of super exciting design.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Overall it's just nothing to get excited about design-wise. If I had to pick one, it's still the first one. But only if I had to pick one of these.

The idea that someone puts up a new building over there is good. It is perhaps not large enough or the right type of people to expect some kind of super exciting design.
Considering it might be two or more years before a major tenant is picked, it will be around three years before dirt flies and five years before completion. I like any news on the development front, but we should not be so excited about an 18 story building topping off in five years. I think Downtown Pittsbuirgh can and will support a larger building in addition to PNC Tower in the same time frame.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
This. It's exactly gimmick architecture, and it's sad because the "Smithfield Street Bridge Inspiration" has everyone all turned despite its execution being absolutely miserable. And that's a real shame, because it could be a brilliant concept.
that's exactly it. option 2 is a juvenile attempt that would look dated in the very near future (based on the rendering, since rendering itself is an art). option 3 is complete garbage (1980's houston?), cheap infill building. option 1 is clearly the most elegant option of the 3 presented. sure it looks like the cira center, but the contrast with the surrounding buildings and potential for mirroring effects on the waterfront make it the best choice of the three shown.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with traditionalist architecture. Just because a building has a bizarre shape and lots of glass, doesn't necessarily make it good architecture. Just my opinion! Honestly, I think all of these buildings are conformist in one way or another. Let's see a non-glass skyscraper for a change.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
From suburbs to city, Pittsburgh developer is on the move* | TribLIVE

Quote:
That site is a parking lot along Fort Pitt Boulevard, behind the One Smithfield Building, which Scalo owns, and where he wants to build a $60 million, 16-story office tower, overlooking the Monongahela River.

In addition to oil and gas companies, Scalo has mentioned U.S. Steel and GNC as possibilities. GNC has declined to comment, and U.S. Steel has said it is “exploring alternatives” for when its lease in its signature tower ends in 2017.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Thought that this was the most interesting nugget in the article. Hadn't heard anything about this before.

Quote:
Soon, he will announce plans to convert an existing building at 422 First Ave. into a 150-unit apartment complex, consisting of studios and one-bedrooms

Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I like IKM the best. GBBN is acceptable. Desmond is downright boring.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Why is the location limited to 20 stories? Is that the client budget or a zoning issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh