Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times

Advertisements

Although it's probably fantasy, I've been thinking about buying a second property and fixing it up lately. Partially because I'm getting house fever, but I can't move for a few years. We also have enough saved up ($35,000) that we could theoretically pull such a payment.

We all know the market in Pittsburgh proper has appreciated pretty dramatically over the last decade, outside of the neighborhoods still declining rapidly in terms of safety and desirability. If you were going to buy a cheap house and restore it, where would you look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Buying any property for investment purposes is typically going to require for you to minimally have a down payment of 25-30%, an extraordinary credit score, and a willingness to pay above-market interest rates/closing costs. Even if you meet the above criteria, securing a loan is still at the discretion of the banks, and unless things have changed very recently, most local banks have not "been in the lending mood" for second homes.

This being said, owner financing would be most beneficial if the property is in a desirable area. Even so, finding a "fixer-upper" in a desirable area with special financing may be very challenging to find. What are you looking for, and what are you looking to spend?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Although it's probably fantasy, I've been thinking about buying a second property and fixing it up lately. Partially because I'm getting house fever, but I can't move for a few years. We also have enough saved up ($35,000) that we could theoretically pull such a payment.

We all know the market in Pittsburgh proper has appreciated pretty dramatically over the last decade, outside of the neighborhoods still declining rapidly in terms of safety and desirability. If you were going to buy a cheap house and restore it, where would you look?
According to county appraisers, the market value of properties in Duquesne, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, Braddock, Rankin and Swissvale is 3-4 times the price you can purchase them for right now. For example, with your $35K you can buy 5 properties at $7K a piece, turn right around and sell each for $45-$50K. No where else in the country can you get a return like this! Your $35K investment is now worth $225K to $250K, an annual return of 543%. Using Allegheny County math, in a few years you could be a billionaire.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,162 times
Why get a mortgage when you can get a decent house for $35k in nice neighborhoods like Munhall, Overbrook, West View, Brookline, and Beechview. You can even find some homes in Brentwood and Mt. Washington, close to Warrington Ave. You have a ton of options with that amount of money. Also, be aware that most banks would put rules on your mortgage that you cannot pay it back within a year in order to avoid flipping.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
That'll be the day when a rehabbed property in Duquesne sells for $50k. That was a good one! The county appraisers are lining the county's pockets, not assessing these properties at market value.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Why get a mortgage when you can get a decent house for $35k in nice neighborhoods like Munhall, Overbrook, West View, Brookline, and Beechview. You can even find some homes in Brentwood and Mt. Washington, close to Warrington Ave. You have a ton of options with that amount of money.
This. Mortgages on fixer-uppers in transitional neighborhoods are still unnecessary in Pittsburgh, if you have 35k in the bank.

Where would I buy? Deutschtown, Manchester, Stanton Heights, Troy Hill, Lincoln Place, Beechview, Mt. Washington, Brighton Heights, Bellevue, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, East Liberty (not Larimer), Turtle Creek, East Pittsburgh, Wilmerding, Brentwood, Dormont, Brookline, Overbrook, West Mifflin, perhaps even Allentown or the West End if you're a bit of an urban pioneer. Stowe Township has been a good investment for me so far.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
This. Mortgages on fixer-uppers in transitional neighborhoods are still unnecessary in Pittsburgh, if you have 35k in the bank.

Where would I buy? Deutschtown, Manchester, Stanton Heights, Troy Hill, Lincoln Place, Beechview, Mt. Washington, Brighton Heights, Bellevue, Millvale, Etna, Sharpsburg, East Liberty (not Larimer), Turtle Creek, East Pittsburgh, Wilmerding, Brentwood, Dormont, Brookline, Overbrook, West Mifflin, perhaps even Allentown or the West End if you're a bit of an urban pioneer. Stowe Township has been a good investment for me so far.
What about Esplen?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
I think just about any area near Downtown, especially along the river, is going to skyrocket over the next decade. In particular, anything in Troy Hill, Millvale, Sharpsburg or Etna will be a good buy. The land has the value. It doesn't matter what is sitting on top of it.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
It's probably not a flip it and sell it 3 months later neighborhood, but I'm still a little high on Hazelwood. It has all the bones of becoming a desirable neighborhood. It's a stone's throw from Oakland, the Southside, and the Waterfront and is geographically positioned to join the Lawrenceville-Bloomfield-Shadyside-Squirrel Hill-Greenfield band of neighborhoods in desirability. The LTV site could make a huge impact if it's done properly (and it sounds like it will be), and they're already doing a little bit of pre-construction work on it (using fill-in dirt from the north shore connector), so development there could be a reality in just 2 or 3 years even.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What about Esplen?
Sure, why not? Prices are rock bottom. They might not go up, but they can't go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh