Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

What Rob said, Pine-Richland and Mars SD are both pretty good. I'd go with Mars and avoid the higher taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM

29 posts, read 41,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ2012 View Post
Mommyof2monkeys,

We are also relocating from south FL to Pittsburgh in June and have looked at both Treesdale and Tanglewood. Small world! My kids are 12 and 10 so we are looking at middle and high schools as a major deciding factor.

I am confused re: Butler county (lower taxes but lower rated schools) vs. Allegheny county (higher taxes, higher rated schools). Coming from SFL, we are ready for our tax dollars to provide a higher quality public school education. But I have been getting the feeling that there are more people interested in saving tax $$ and moving to Butler county (Mars, Cranberry, etc.). What is your take on this issue? My fear is we buy in Pine and then the assessment goes up and it will be harder to resell. Realtor even told me that builders are not building in Pine because of this issue.

Good luck with your search... hard to do from down here!!
WOW! Small world!! Yes, Butler has lower taxes. Schools are good, but not as good as PR or NA. NA has higher taxes but schools are much better (from what I hear and the research I've done). We don't really have an issue with paying higher taxes. Seems to be about 4-5K more but we are willing to spend that for better schools. (not that Bulter is 'bad' but if we are making this big a move I want to be in the best SD.) I've heard that Pine Richland just built a HUGE stadium for football, from the research I've been doing the HS is state of the art and the curriculum is very substancial. I also found an article about a HS expansion project.

STEAM Center at Pine-Richland almost finished

Even though we have little ones I am looking through HS because we plan to be there a while.... (I hope!).

What did you think of Treesdale vs Tanglewood? I liked it but it was big. I want to be on the PR side. Tanglewood was nice also but smaller. What part of SoFl are you in? I'm in Weston. (my little bubble as I like to call it. ) PA is going to be a BIG change for us. Are there any other developments you looked at?

Feel free to email me directly lauraball74@gmail.com

Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM

28 posts, read 36,533 times
Thanks for the article on the STEAM Center at Pine-Richland. I had read about that program in my earlier school research but it is good to see that it is in the final stages.

I preferred the location of Tanglewood but Treesdale was much nicer... did you look in Rabold Fields in Pine? We saw some nice homes in there but they are asking $630k+.

We live near the beach in Delray Beach but I am familiar with Weston. It's definitely going to be a big change for us but we are excited.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Grocery shopping isn't far from Treesdale. There's a large Giant Eagle 9 minutes away in Seven Fields.

Mars is an excellent school district so don't limit your Treesdale housing options to just Pine. Your taxes will be lower too!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2monkeys View Post
Is Treesdale all it's cracked up to be?
In my opinion, it's not all it's cracked up to be. There are many house=poor families living there that can't afford to live there. Lots of wanna bees. If you are trying to live among real wealth, stick to the Sewickley neighborhoods you were considering. Don't get me wrong, Treesdale is nice. I'm just saying that it's not an area of significant wealth when compared to truly wealthy areas of the metro.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think Mars Schools are pretty good. Certainly better than Senaca Valley (Cranberry).
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Depending upon how you rank, the different school districts in question here tend to rank pretty close to each other. Pine-Richland vs Mars Area, I'd generally think long and hard about why you really want to pay more to be in Pine-Richland. I'm sure there are some good reasons to choose P-R, but I think you'd have to be getting quite specific. I don't think there is in general a good reason to steer away from Mars Area.
Totally agree. It would be downright silly to disregard Mars while considering Senaca. Mars and Pine are quite comparable.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Totally agree. It would be downright silly to disregard Mars while considering Senaca. Mars and Pine are quite comparable.

Thanks everyone! I'll review Mars School district a little more but I dont think the ratings are as high as Pine but again, I'll definitley research further.

As far as Treesdale specifically, I would really like a development with a sense of community--events, garage sales, family activies, picnics, etc. I went to the clubhouse area and it seemed wonderful. Just curious if the residents actually use it and get together on a regular basis or if I should seek out a development that is smaller.

We looked in Sewickley Farms/Estates (not the town) but the homes seem to be older and smaller. Were looking for a home that's bigger--more open floor plan. The newer developments seem to have that.

Does anyone know if there is a school district calculator (so to speak) where I can plug in a street address and it will tell me what schools that house is zoned for? We have one in SoFl and it made it so easy to determine the schools for a specific house.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ2012 View Post
Thanks for the article on the STEAM Center at Pine-Richland. I had read about that program in my earlier school research but it is good to see that it is in the final stages.

I preferred the location of Tanglewood but Treesdale was much nicer... did you look in Rabold Fields in Pine? We saw some nice homes in there but they are asking $630k+.

We live near the beach in Delray Beach but I am familiar with Weston. It's definitely going to be a big change for us but we are excited.
Yes, I agree. The location of Tanglewood was better bc of the proximity to shopping. I already LIVE at Publix so having something right up the road is ideal. I didn't look in Rabold Fields (probably bc of the price) We want to stay around 600 or below. Treesdale was very nice and now that others have mentioned Mars I may look into it more but everyone I spoke to in the area this weekend were raving about Pine-Richland. Uggh. So confusing.

Good luck in your move. Sounds like we are going to be moving around the same time! Hope you find the perfect house. It's hard doing this from a distance. My husband is already up there so that somewhat helps. At least he can look at a house first.

Best of luck
Laura

Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
The school district is listed right in the real estate listing generally. If you use one of the large local brokerage web sites such as howardhanna.com, northwood.com, prudentialpreferred.com, pittsburghmoves.com (Coldwell Banker), they will all show you ALL of the local multi-list listings from every company, and those always list the school district in my experience. The only caveat is that regardless of the sort order you choose, they will show all of their own search results first, before going on to the other companies' results. It's hard to explain in writing but I figured out how it worked fairly quickly.

I suppose there's a chance that someone gets the listing wrong, but it should be correct the vast majority of the time.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The school district is listed right in the real estate listing generally. If you use one of the large local brokerage web sites such as howardhanna.com, northwood.com, prudentialpreferred.com, pittsburghmoves.com (Coldwell Banker), they will all show you ALL of the local multi-list listings from every company, and those always list the school district in my experience. The only caveat is that regardless of the sort order you choose, they will show all of their own search results first, before going on to the other companies' results. It's hard to explain in writing but I figured out how it worked fairly quickly.

I suppose there's a chance that someone gets the listing wrong, but it should be correct the vast majority of the time.
Yes, I'm using Howard Hanna and know what school district it's in....however, there are several elementary schools in each district and I'd like to know what specific elementary school a house is zoned for. The realtor wasn't sure in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh