Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Friendship is okay I guess, but it shares the same issues as Shadyside for families
One significant difference is that Friendship has some homes with larger lots and offstreet parking (pads on alleys or garages) that would be way more expensive in Shadyside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
Also I didn't know that regent square was split between those different municipalities...it's odd that the line cuts right through the little area to the southwest of Braddock. Does that mean that your kids might go to a different school than the kids next door? Does that affect house pricing for the non-Pittsburgh area in that little parcel of streets?
Yes, there are places in Regent Square where you can throw a stone and hit any of four different municipalities and three different school districts (Edgewood and Swissvale are in the same district, Woodland Hills). That also means different property tax rates, and the earned income tax rate is higher in the City (3% versus 1% in the other three munis).

And it does affect home prices--Pittsburgh homes, all else equal, should cost a bit more than Edgewood/Swissvale homes, which should cost a bit more than Wilkinsburg homes.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
My take from visiting Frick Park (admittedly an outsider and maybe Brian can confirm or deny this) is that Regent Square is more earthy than the rest of the East End.
Depending on what you mean by "earthy" I think that could be right. Regent Square is really its own little tight-knit community, and it almost has a Mayberry feel with the local restaurants and bars, kids who play Little League in Frick Park or soccer at Koenig Field, popular community events like the Run around the Square and annual group yard sale . . . there is also a real mix of people: old Pittsburgh and new Pittsburgh; students, young singles, families, and retirees; and so forth. It really isn't that far off from, say, the more modest parts of Squirrel Hill, but because it is so much smaller it takes on a somewhat different vibe.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Depending on what you mean by "earthy" I think that could be right. Regent Square is really its own little tight-knit community, and it almost has a Mayberry feel with the local restaurants and bars, kids who play Little League in Frick Park or soccer at Koenig Field, popular community events like the Run around the Square and annual group yard sale . . . there is also a real mix of people: old Pittsburgh and new Pittsburgh; students, young singles, families, and retirees; and so forth. It really isn't that far off from, say, the more modest parts of Squirrel Hill, but because it is so much smaller it takes on a somewhat different vibe.
Earthy, Hippy tendencies, etc. or something like that. In the more modest parts of Squirrel Hill you have a different mix of people. A lot more othrodox Jews and people speaking different languages. When I lived there, people (friends who grew up in the more affluent parts of the East End) referred to my block as part of the Jewish Ghetto. Regent Square and "Modest" Squirrel Hill are both melting pots but different at least in my opinion. There is more racial diversity among the people that visit Frick Park (Forbes and Braddock) compared with the Blue Slide Park (almost all white but ethinic diversity). Regardless, both communties welcome people from all walks of life. I just think they have different vibes.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM

It is definitely true that Squirrel Hill has more of a Jewish population (although I know some Jewish people in Regent Square). I also agree there is a little bit of a crunchy/hippy vibe to Regent Square, although certainly not shared by everyone.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM

59 posts, read 113,291 times
So just a note on the magnet schools - as someone who just went through the application process this year, I can tell you it is definitely NOT guaranteed you will get a spot, even if you put down multiple schools. i know several people who remain waitlisted (and will likely stay that way) at all of the popular East End choices (Linden, Liberty, Dilworth). So I would just recommend keeping that in mind when choosing a neighborhood.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM

56 posts, read 100,204 times
I have 4 kids and we have been looking, among other places, in regent square - the city of pittsburgh part - for a year. My feeling is it would be a great place to live with 2 kids. Finding a true 4 bedroom in our price range ... well, we've had no luck. We found one place that was listed at 580, and we found another more in our range but it was just too small. It had 4 bedrooms but they were so small it wouldn't have worked for us (2 girls share a room, boys have their own room due to a 7 year gap - but would be willing to have boys share, for right house - but none of the rooms was really sharable!)

I think you can find a great 3 bedroom in RS - if you want CoP - but 4 bedrooms, harder. They are there but turnover is slow.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkalino View Post
So just a note on the magnet schools - as someone who just went through the application process this year, I can tell you it is definitely NOT guaranteed you will get a spot, even if you put down multiple schools. i know several people who remain waitlisted (and will likely stay that way) at all of the popular East End choices (Linden, Liberty, Dilworth). So I would just recommend keeping that in mind when choosing a neighborhood.
I was not saying that it was a sure thing - some people clearly don't get in on the first shot. I was saying that it's not as difficult as people make it out to be.

I think the OP mentioned having a one-year old. He's years away from worrying. If he and his wife love a neighborhood/house, just go with it, apply, and if they end up on the wait list for the magnet, then consider a move to an area with a good neighborhood school.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM

248 posts, read 326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was not saying that it was a sure thing - some people clearly don't get in on the first shot. I was saying that it's not as difficult as people make it out to be.

I think the OP mentioned having a one-year old. He's years away from worrying. If he and his wife love a neighborhood/house, just go with it, apply, and if they end up on the wait list for the magnet, then consider a move to an area with a good neighborhood school.
A 3 month old so we have even longer before we need to get worried! I think we're going to do exactly what you describe Eschaton. Hopefully the school district shift you mentioned in Shadyside (was that the one?) will ease some of the pressure on the magnet schools. If not we can consider moving, go for a private school, or just use whatever the normal public school will be. Maybe in 5-6 years the public schools will be improving with the rest of the city.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Highland Park
Regent Square
Squirrel Hill
Shadyside
Point Breeze

I feel that these places are quite different.

Highland Park, Regent Square and Point Breeze would be in one category. There you will find more artsy types and not as many giant SUVs. Highland Park probably has the most hybrid cars in the city. Regent Square always felt a little further out, but it has a nice little downtown and you can walk to a great park. Point Breeze is one of my favorite places because it is a little more quiet, yet close to everything. Truly a great place.

Squirrel Hill is the most aggressive area IMHO. Has a totally different vibe and people there are more in a rush and to be quite honest more rude. Friendly for DC standards, but rude for Pittsburgh.

Shadyside is a very vibrant sophisticated, yet eclectic neighborhood. It is pretty expensive, but rightfully so. They have an arts festival and great restaurants. I find Shadyside much less aggressive than Squirrel Hill. A different feel. A feel of older money and more laid back.

These vibes are from years of being in all these places. I lived in Highland Park for several years and really liked it. Best coffee shop in Pittsburgh as far as feel. Plenty of different languages being spoken and lots of cultured people there.

** since you have a child and are looking for a certain area, don't discount Aspinwall. It is very close to Highland Park, I actually walk there from the far side of Aspinwall and your child would go to O'Hara Elementary School. Aspinwall has a little downtown and a nice feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh