Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm talking about the state as a whole, how relative are those counties to the whole state?
They're in the state, so they're relevant thereto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 11:47 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
They're in the state, so they're relevant thereto.
You know what I mean....quit being a wise ass...

Factor in the 3 largest growing segments of the State....NEPA, Philly Metro, and Pittsburgh Metro and they're all benefiting from NYC-Out Migration.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Wow how long would it take to travel between the two places?
When I was a child my family lived in Levittown, in Bucks County. My father commuted by train to NYC for many years before we moved to Connecticut. Not the greatest commute in the world, but it can be done.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Factor in the 3 largest growing segments of the State....NEPA, Philly Metro, and Pittsburgh Metro and they're all benefiting from NYC-Out Migration.
Growth in NEPA seems to have stopped. I didn't aggregate the counties, but with Monroe and the Wyoming valley shrinking, it probably only depends upon how you define the Lehigh valley. There has been a lot of growth in outer regions of NEPA (Marcellus Shale?) although given the low population up there, it probably doesn't mean much to the region at large. I think it shows the demand for car commuting from NYC has fallen, but the demand for rail commutes has risen.

What I also find interesting is that Allegheny County outgrew Bucks and Northampton, and was pretty close to beating out Berks and Dauphin, areas formerly considered to be fairly dynamic portions of Eastern Pennsylvania.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
What would be your estimate on the population figures (anyone is free to answer this as well.) I truly hope that we are climbing up now, it would be a blow to dip below 300,000 the way Cincy has
I think it could get its fair share of Allegheny County--call it +1000.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:06 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Growth in NEPA seems to have stopped. I didn't aggregate the counties, but with Monroe and the Wyoming valley shrinking, it probably only depends upon how you define the Lehigh valley. There has been a lot of growth in outer regions of NEPA (Marcellus Shale?) although given the low population up there, it probably doesn't mean much to the region at large. I think it shows the demand for car commuting from NYC has fallen, but the demand for rail commutes has risen.

What I also find interesting is that Allegheny County outgrew Bucks and Northampton, and was pretty close to beating out Berks and Dauphin, areas formerly considered to be fairly dynamic portions of Eastern Pennsylvania.
Also doesn't NEPA have substantial Bus service to the city now...Commuters no longer need to drive to Jersey anymore?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Just did a quick calculation for NEPA.

So far, it's lost 714 people this decade - a 0.05% decline.

If you include the Lehigh valley, however, it's gained 3,477 - a 0.17% increase.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Wow how long would it take to travel between the two places?
BB's point is a bit too NYC centric. the fact is, people have been commuting between the two cities for decades. in fact, the number of people riding the train between the two cities is down and might actually be at a multidecade low. earlier in the decade amtrak raised prices for a monthly ticket to ny from $600 to over a thousand (it's almost $1200/mo now). people quit their ny jobs or moved ,ridership is way down. the price of an acela ticket is astronomical because Amtrak is more worried about having enough seats to accomodate Washington-NY. NY has always been a factor in Philadelphia's migration patterns but that's not new, what is new is that the city is attracting people, not just the region. in decades past there was rapid growth in the collar counties and population loss in the city. that ended 00-10. what's happening is much more fundamental, a shift in where people are living. people are choosing to live in cities more than they used to. remember, .7% of Pittsburgh's population is ~2100 so a move up or down of 2100 is comparable in scale. I don't believe PA's changes are entirely driven by NYC (though it's certainly a factor, as is the problems in the rest of NYS). In a lot of ways PA is a low cost provider, it's cheaper to live in PA than just about anywhere in the east coast except DE. natural gas has put job growth in places that haven't seen it in decades, causing housing shortages in places like williamsport. the bust has been good to PA financial firms like PNC and vanguard (Philadelphia suburbs). Philadelphia is a lot like Pittsburgh, it's a major university town so it always has a flow of young people, as it's improved, it's held onto them longer. at any rate, this part should indicate migration isn't the major driver
Quote:
Philadelphia had an estimated 29,227 births and 18,023 deaths from April 1, 2010, to last July, for a net population increase of about 11,200...
Meanwhile, although the city had an estimated net increase of 6,208 people moving here from outside the United States, it had a net decrease of 6,860 people who moved out of the city to other counties or states within the U.S. That means that overall, the city had a net decrease of about 650 people, based on migration data.
babies and immigration. it's somewhat evident when you visit, there's much more international flair than there was just a generation ago. some of it is probably immigrants escaping persecution in less friendly climes, others are probably people brought in by the universities that are now choosing to live in the city rather than commute. daycares, charters, and non-public schools are exploding in enrollment. the fastest growing counties outside the city are the least related to nyc (chester, esp, and montco).

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Nice graph from Chris Briem:

From one perspective this is just the normalization of Pittsburgh. But "normal" is going to change everything, given how long we were abnormal.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM

By the way, this is out today too, and it helps explain some of these patterns:

Transportation and the New Generation | U.S. PIRG

Quote:
By 2011, the average American was driving 6 percent fewer miles per year than in 2004. The trend away from driving has been led by young people. From 2001 and 2009, the average annual number of vehicle-miles traveled by young people (16 to 34-year-olds) decreased from 10,300 miles to 7,900 miles per capita – a drop of 23 percent. The trend away from steady growth in driving is likely to be long-lasting – even once the economy recovers. Young people are driving less for a host of reasons – higher gas prices, new licensing laws, improvements in technology that support alternative transportation, and changes in Generation Y’s values and preferences – all factors that are likely to have an impact for years to come.
We've known about these trends for a while, but again the likely implications have been met with skepticism because they go against so much CW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh