Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,939,304 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Proposed design of Downtown tower on Forbes Avenue criticized - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As a reminder, here is the current design:

Personally, I think most of the objections are not well-grounded. I think the overall scale of the project is consistent with the current buildings around Market Square (including the Fourth Avenue buildings and Three PNC), and looking at the angles I don't see how it could significantly impact sunlight in Market Square. The materials are of course different from the historic buildings, but I think they have been well-chosen to provide a complementary effect.

But the issue over the design of the parking garage is a legitimate one (the parking portion is the box on the bottom toward Wood). Ultimately I am OK with an above-ground parking garage in this location, but exactly how it looks from various vantages, including Wood, is a real concern and I hope they can reach a reasonable accommodation on the design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:05 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,816,858 times
As you know, BrianTH, I have objected over the design of "The Gardens"... but certainly not because of its "scale" (If anything, I'd like to see this project much taller... it is actually not offering much beyond tons of parking and is squandering a key Downtown site). These critics are totally off base when they complain about a 242' tall complex dominating the "low-slung" Market Square and blocking out the sunlight. Let's see... the 600'+ PPG Place is located right on the square... taking up 1/4 of its frontage. The 23-story 3 PNC was built a couple years ago and is no further away from the Square than The Gardens. Market Square is surrounded by nearby skyscrapers almost everywhere you look! Ridiculous objection.

That said... I have serious concerns about the merits of this project... which I consider largely a giant above-ground parking garage with a few cosmetic mixed-use elements. Also... the metallic orange look is somewhat bizarre.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,352,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Also... the metallic orange look is somewhat bizarre.

That's what I like about it, actually. But then again, nobody's ever accused me of having good taste.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,151,550 times
Speaking of above-ground parking garages, does anyone know if there are enviornmental/health benefits or issues related to whether a parking garage is above or below ground?

I park at the 11 Stanwix garage, which is below grade. Someone a few weeks ago tried to sound a fire alarm on this board at the exhaust that billows out of the garage I park in. They thought there was a fire somewhere downtown, when in reality it was all of the vehicle exhaust being vented out from people who were parking for the St. Paddys parade. I do notice that the ground floor of the building as well as the garage itself seem to have a pretty pungent smell of exhaust at the end of the day, when traffic there is most dense. It can't be good for my health to be breathing the concentrated carbon monoxide and other pollutants.

Does anyone feel strongly one way or the other about above ground vs below ground parking within the Golden Triangle?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 AM

675 posts, read 2,092,890 times
My biggest concern, as others have noted, is the appearance of the garage. Lucas Piatt is claiming that the garage will look fantastic, and will be the nicest above ground garage in the city. I, personally, disagree. While I am not, overall, against having above-ground parking structures, I've always lamented the many that are downtown. The one on the North Shore has always struck me as being very well disguised, and I'd love to see something like that go in downtown. The comment in the article of this garage having a "blank wall effect" is very accurate, in my opinion. I'd love to see a rendering of the corner facing Wood and Forbes, it looks like it'll just be a giant aluminum wall.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,691,428 times
These complaints are pretty ridiculous... Like Evergrey said, I think the building could be better looking and bigger. But they have no ground to stand on with the stuff they're saying in this article.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,123,913 times
Sigh..........make it as tall as possible but I do hope the parking garage isn't that noticeable. Maybe a portion could be put underground so the parking garage isn't as prominent in the tower and then replace it with more floors of offices and apartments.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,352,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Sigh..........make it as tall as possible but I do hope the parking garage isn't that noticeable. Maybe a portion could be put underground so the parking garage isn't as prominent in the tower and then replace it with more floors of offices and apartments.
Plant super tall trees on top of it!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM

349 posts, read 615,153 times
I think it's beautiful. I love the look of it, even the odd coloring. It'll be a nice, modern fit in the area.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,691,428 times
Everyone should probably write a note to these complainers. Do we have contact information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh