Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 05:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,104 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in the South Hills. I am interested in how to find a list of foreclosed homes. I don't want to have to do a free web based trial. I was wondering how to do it on a local scale. Many realtors are seem to be tight lipped regarding foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwargs View Post
I am looking to buy a home in the South Hills. I am interested in how to find a list of foreclosed homes. I don't want to have to do a free web based trial. I was wondering how to do it on a local scale. Many realtors are seem to be tight lipped regarding foreclosures.
Certain real estate companies deal with foreclosures. Grasha and some others. Many are listed and bank owned. Some are actioned, but not often to be honest. Sometimes they go into sherif sale. You need to do a title search prior to buying unless they say, "free and clear". All this stuff isn't some easy thing to deal with. Even I don't buy them and I have been buying and selling for years. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM

14,184 posts, read 22,725,360 times
The best way to find a foreclosed home is to look in another city.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:27 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,577,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The best way to find a foreclosed home is to look in another city.
That's very true. Pgh doesn't have too many.

I've purchased 3 in the past. They were all listed on the mls and available to the public. Most "foreclosures" on zillow or yahoo aren't foreclosed on. The owners might be a bit behind with payments, but they aren't bank owned.

You could watch the Sheriff sales in the paper but I'd hire a good attorney to do the title research on those before bidding. Also these are typically cash only transactions sight unseen with no inspections.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:19 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Most "foreclosures" on zillow or yahoo aren't foreclosed on. The owners might be a bit behind with payments, but they aren't bank owned.
Agreed. The process of trying to re-fi through govt-supported mortgage reduction plans is downright scary. Basically you have to go six months in arrears before being considered and only then does the real paperwork and approval process start, which may take another 2-3 months. And sometimes one's home gets listed as a foreclosure as a result if the process isn't adhered to to the letter.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
There are plenty of homes in Pittsburgh being sold at rock bottom prices that aren't in the 'foreclosure' category. They just need lots of maintenance. There are tons of old people in Pittsburgh who lived in their homes for decades, did little maintenance and then died. The houses get sold. Go to any of the real estate listing sites (like trulia or realtor.com), find an area you're interested in and limit the search to a low selling price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: