Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times

Advertisements

$100,000 study begins to address Pittsburgh nightclub complaints - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I find it hard to believe there were no local firms capable of doing this study - & thats independent of my personal opinion of the real world usefulness of spending money on such studies in the first place, but if you do, at least keep it local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Setup portable toilets, increase closing time from 2 AM to 4 AM, get some damn cabs, and open up some late night places to eat. There's your $100k study right there.

I still don't know why people who moved to the party capital of Pittsburgh complain about this stuff. It's like voluntarily moving to Beijing and being shocked when your internet is censored.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
$100,000 study begins to address Pittsburgh nightclub complaints - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I find it hard to believe there were no local firms capable of doing this study - & thats independent of my personal opinion of the real world usefulness of spending money on such studies in the first place, but if you do, at least keep it local.

Hey, don't knock it. $100k buys a lot of rounds at Fatheads.

This is important work they're doing here.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Sadly, I don't think there's any real solution to nightlife problems. Residents don't want to have an active nightlife near their houses for obvious nuisance reasons. On the other hand, when nightlife is located in areas with few permanent residents (as was the case with the Strip, up until the past few years as the population exploded) you have a fairly unsafe situation for the clubgoers.

Some places definitely need *more* nightlife however. I think the Shadow Lounge played a major role getting East Liberty back on track, at least commercially. I've thought for awhile what the Hill needs is not new housing, but a nighttime destination which draws a racially mixed audience. Maybe a jazz club?

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Setup portable toilets, increase closing time from 2 AM to 4 AM, get some damn cabs, and open up some late night places to eat. There's your $100k study right there.

I still don't know why people who moved to the party capital of Pittsburgh complain about this stuff. It's like voluntarily moving to Beijing and being shocked when your internet is censored.
I can understand why longterm residents are annoyed. While Carson St. has always had bars, it's my understanding that it wasn't anywhere near current levels in the past. At the same time though, it's not so bad to be fed up with something that has increased your home value 10-fold. Imagine how long term residents of neighborhoods that have gone downhill due to crime feel. They truly may be stuck; at least South Siders can get out if they want to sell.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I can understand why longterm residents are annoyed. While Carson St. has always had bars, it's my understanding that it wasn't anywhere near current levels in the past. At the same time though, it's not so bad to be fed up with something that has increased your home value 10-fold. Imagine how long term residents of neighborhoods that have gone downhill due to crime feel. They truly may be stuck; at least South Siders can get out if they want to sell.
If it really has increased 10 fold then that's one thing (I guess this study might be able to tell us if it has). But as someone who spends a lot of time in the South Side it seems to be just as rowdy as it ever has been. My parents lived there in the early 80's and said it was wild way back then too. It just seems that people are just sick of it and are losing tolerance of the broski carnage.

But as you mentioned, they could sell their homes and make a mint.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Also, the inclusion of Lawrenceville in the study is ridiculous. Locals here are really terrified of becoming the next South Side, but despite a growing number of bars, there's no sign of this. Double D's Saloon is the only "frat" style bar in Lawrenceville - the rest cater to, for lack of a better term a "hipster" clientele. While streets are active at night, it's usually just seeing some bearded guys walking around, not packs of meatheads.

But in general, they complain about the parking situation on Butler. It's not easy to find a space on Butler, but successful neighborhoods always have parking issues, and attempts to build lots/garages to increase capacity almost always result in a neighborhood getting worse rather than better.

It's sort of weird, it's like there's a contingent here of long-timers who really want Lawrenceville to be Morningside or Stanton Heights or something. They're 100% for any new housing developments which come in, but they're 100% opposed to any new commercial businesses, especially fronting on Butler Street.

I would say, as parents, my wife and I are really let down at the lack of good restaurant options in Lawrenceville if you have a child, basically there's:

• Really upscale restaurants (Tamari, Picolo Forno)
  • Places only open until 5, so you cannot have dinner there (Coca Cafe, Dozen)
  • Bars which serve food, but where you cannot take children in (Round Corner Cantina, Remedy, Thunderbird, New Amsterdam, Eclipse Lounge - apparently the new Industry Grill as well).

Last edited by eschaton; 04-10-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 08:47 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
^^^Agree. I'm getting sick of drunken walks home eating Cogo's pizza slices and the taco stand by the Birmingham Bridge. I'd kill for a Coney Island (for you Michiganders), 24/7 diner, etc.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I moved to Pittsburgh in 1993, and the South Side was already the South Side back then.

Honestly, I think what has changed is not so much the nature of the commercial part of the South Side as the nature of the residential part--back then I think there was a lot more working-class housing and student-ghetto stuff. In the ensuing years there has been a lot of gentrification, which is fine as far as that goes, but I agree those people don't have the standing to object that they weren't on notice as to the nature of the commercial part of the South Side.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I would say, as a parents, my wife and I are really let down at the lack of good restaurant options in Lawrenceville if you have a child, basically there's:

• Really upscale restaurants (Tamari, Picolo Forno)
  • Places only open until 5, so you cannot have dinner there (Coca Cafe, Dozen)
  • Bars which serve food, but where you cannot take children in (Round Corner Cantina, Remedy, Thunderbird, New Amsterdam, Eclipse Lounge - apparently the new Industry Grill as well).
So you want an Eat N Park? We take our kids to chains. Frankly, we need a quick meal

I haven't been to Picolo Forno in years. Has it really gone upscale? I always thought it was a fairly afforable restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh