Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM

349 posts, read 616,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am bitter over pretty much all politicians. Just too many lies. That privatization of the liquor stores is such a great example. Corbett used privatization of liquor stores as an aid to get elected. I was hopeful, so I guess I still have hope sometimes when a double tongue speaks.
Talk about a flat out lie. Then the Allegheny reassessment. So many say Corbett is grandstanding with his opposition. I want to believe he would help in some way, so people's taxes can't go sky high overnight, but he won't. He probably is just grandstanding.

I think being pessimistic in our region is from experience and history. I am not impressed with how things are run. The last political position that I felt was run well was when Murphy was mayor. I felt his heart was really in it and he worked hard to get people to invest here. Other than that, wow! Hard to think of anyone I liked.

So when I see the topic, I just feel we are very justified in our feelings. Constant lies.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up quite well.

Can't trust any of them, they're all liars and scumbags. Again, the election comes down to the less of two evils- doesn't mean that the "winner" of that one is any more decent or just by any means.

And, I would have loved to see Santorum get his junk handed to him but once again, he's denied me/us that guilty pleasure. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Twice we voted against funding stadiums and got stuck with the cost of them.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Twice we voted against funding stadiums and got stuck with the cost of them.
But nobody can say that the Steelers don't provide a boost to the local economy anymore.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Of course, doing something about the open sewer which is Pennsylvania's district magistracy might help with the cynicism:

Ex-judge pleads guilty to indecent assault, official oppression

Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM

9,333 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up quite well.

Can't trust any of them, they're all liars and scumbags. Again, the election comes down to the less of two evils- doesn't mean that the "winner" of that one is any more decent or just by any means.

And, I would have loved to see Santorum get his junk handed to him but once again, he's denied me/us that guilty pleasure. Sigh.
Having known a lot of politicians closely I can honestly say that the majority of them are good, honest public servants trying to do right by their constituents. Of course, politics does attract more than its fair share of corrupt players, and I certainly can't blame people for assuming most of them are bad, especially since all it takes is one bad politician to screw over a whole lot of innocent people.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
But nobody can say that the Steelers don't provide a boost to the local economy anymore.
Look at any study.
Sports teams and stadiums do not provide sustainable growth or income to an area.

Here you go: http://www.umbc.edu/economics/wpapers/wp_03_103.pdf

Oh goodie, oil to make money off of us and what do we get out of it?
Pollution, we pay for the "benefits" that Corbett gave them out of our tax dollars.
Doesn't seem like a win to me.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-13-2012 at 05:34 AM..

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Look at any study. Sports teams and stadiums do not provide sustainable growth or income to an area.
Yep, and in urban areas in particular, you could very likely get a lot more economic benefit from using that land and materials in other ways (offices, residences, and so forth).

Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
People are cynical about politics everywhere, but Pennsylvania stands out - like much of the northeast - for the lack of opportunity for voter participation. No voter-initiated referendum voting, not even at the local level. Plus mysterious people pick the party candidates before the primary. No wonder people here feel like they don't have a say in anything.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM

250 posts, read 359,742 times
The more an electorate is willing to vote for the "lesser of two evils" the more corrupt politicians they're going to get. That is what the major parties bank on. It's how Obama gets away with breaking campaign promise after campaign promise, all this stuff that should be abhorrent to liberals, yet still retains their support.

No election of any significance has ever been decided by one vote. Vote your conscience, even if it means writing in a candidate. Even if it means turning in a blank ballot. Even if it means voting at the local tavern. Stop worrying about how much worse things would be if corrupt politician A gets in over corrupt politician B. It will always be more similar than different.

Ron Paul is speaking at Pitt next Friday. Many people have problems with his ideology. I'm not saying you have to agree with it. I'm not even saying you have to vote for him... Unless you're registered (R) it's too late for that anyway. But to everyone sitting at their computer complaining: listen to him, and reflect deeply on what he says, because it's the only way a lot of people in this thread/city/state/nation/earth are ever going to improve their political fortune.

The "lesser of two evils" game is a corrupt establishment's #1 tool in its arsenal, and as long as people fall for the "don't want to waste my vote" fallacy, they will get the politicians they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh