Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While I'm all for a more even across the board funding for education I also don't believe all the money on the world thrown at many of the schools that produce failing students would significantly improve their performance.
Correct. This is why I brought up Kerr Elementary. Same fudging as O'Hara/Fairview/Hartwood, but different result. Why? Not funding, but parenting. It is the first step. Boarding is the ultimate situation, but very expensive. Agassi's school out in Vegas has done wonders for kids. Taking them from the horrible home life and really just taking over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
It is true that district-level funding doesn't necessarily have much to do with student outcomes.

However, money spent specifically on instruction has been found to have a positive correlation with student outcomes. The difference, of course, is that districts spend a lot of money on other things beside instruction, some less justifiable (like athletics), some largely unavoidable (like transportation).

Of course funding is not the only factor relevant to educational outcomes, and indeed not the only relevant school policy factor. But it isn't as irrelevant as some have claimed.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Their t-shirts read "violence in school, low expectations, no opportunity, no incentives; Wilkinsburg students want a fair education NOW"

Good show!

Wilkinsburg Students Wearing Protest Shirts Held in Administration Office - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

"No opportunity".........please

Old 04-11-2012, 02:58 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Boarding is the ultimate situation, but very expensive....Taking them from the horrible home life and really just taking over.
Sounds like an argument for school vouchers.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Sounds like an argument for school vouchers.
I think vouchers can be a very effective stick to keep low-performing publics in line--shape up or else risk your students scattering to the (private/parochial) winds.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
And no, I don't know the solution to change community mentalities
Neither do I, but I do think that 16-18-year-olds who can get themselves together, get some adult help, get some t-shirts made and agree on a slogan (if not a full-blown program - maybe we'll hear more about that eventually), and then summon up the courage to stare down authority - are exactly the kids we talk about when we use the fond term "meritocracy".

The best and brightest deserve a ladder out. Whether that's merging districts, setting up charters, school vouchers, scholarships, whatever, they've shown they care about their own education - so does anyone else?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:07 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I think vouchers can be a very effective stick to keep low-performing publics in line--shape up or else risk your students scattering to the (private/parochial) winds.
that is exactly what happened in wilkinsburg though. the school population is tiny and consists only of the kids who have absolutely no other option. granted, vouchers could help more kids get out, but hemorrhaging students to private and parochial schools doesn't seem to have helped keep the district in line as far i can see. it's just gotten worse for the kids who are stuck there.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
that is exactly what happened in wilkinsburg though. the school population is tiny and consists only of the kids who have absolutely no other option.

it doesn't seemed to have helped keep the district in line that i can see.
If it's a stick, it should probably also come with a noose. That is, beating on an underperforming district (which is an understatement in connection with Wilkinsburg) may create some useful incentives - but if after administering a thorough drubbing, the district still hasn't changed, you're just beating a dead horse, as it were.

Better for everyone to put the poor, hopeless, damaged thing out of its misery.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
personally, i think a merger with pgh or woodlands hills (preferably pgh, for the magnet schools) would be the best thing. i've even considered running for the school board to try to promote looking into a merger. but i don't think i have the stomach to be that involved in local politics.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
If it's a stick, it should probably also come with a noose. That is, beating on an underperforming district (which is an understatement in connection with Wilkinsburg) may create some useful incentives - but if after administering a thorough drubbing, the district still hasn't changed, you're just beating a dead horse, as it were.

Better for everyone to put the poor, hopeless, damaged thing out of its misery.
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh