Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM

349 posts, read 616,052 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to put this as gently as possible, so please bare with me here.

What gyms in the Pittsburgh (specifically, South Side/Downtown) area are "fat friendly" - meaning that someone who is overweight won't be frowned upon for joining?

Is Gold's Gym Downtown (near market square) a decent gym?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint It Pink View Post
What gyms in the Pittsburgh (specifically, South Side/Downtown) area are "fat friendly" - meaning that someone who is overweight won't be frowned upon for joining?
I doubt anyone at a gym would frown upon overweight people for trying to improve their health.

I belonged to that gym a few years ago. I don't believe it was called Golds at the time. It's nice gym.

And historically Golds has always had a reputation in the region for being a serious gym, not a fluffy gym where people dressed to impress.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:26 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I doubt anyone at a gym would frown upon overweight people for trying to improve their health.
You'd be surprised - ever been in the LA Fitness in Southside? I work out there, and I've been in gyms since high school. Meatheads breed there, and the looks I see some out of shape people get are ridiculous. I grew up an athlete and am "in shape" but I'd never act the way some of these people do.

Advice though - the LA Fitness is awesome, just go at non-peak times. I workout first thing in the morning or super late at night and its dead. Just a thought!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
You'd be surprised - ever been in the LA Fitness in Southside? I work out there, and I've been in gyms since high school. Meatheads breed there, and the looks I see some out of shape people get are ridiculous. I grew up an athlete and am "in shape" but I'd never act the way some of these people do.
If that's the norm, maybe the OP would be more comfortable starting off at a Curves. From what I understand, it's a women's only fitness place. That alone would eliminate the judgements because the competitive women who are using gyms to hook up with guys wouldn't be in a Curves. There isn't one in Southside or Downtown though. Greentree might work for the OP though. curves, pittsburgh pa - Google Maps

Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM

264 posts, read 492,261 times
I go to LA Fitness and see people of all shapes and sizes working out. I've never noticed anyone "frowning upon" anyone being there for how they looked, and if they do, who really cares? You go to the gym to improve yourself, not to impress others.

I'm scrawny, I wear faded shirts with holes in them, tennis shoes that have seen better days, and I fill an old milk jug with water, and I work out next to people in whole suits of Under Armor and athletic shoes that probably cost hundreds of dollars. I'm sure there are people that judge me for that, but really, who cares!!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
I go to LA Fitness and see people of all shapes and sizes working out. I've never noticed anyone "frowning upon" anyone being there for how they looked, and if they do, who really cares? You go to the gym to improve yourself, not to impress others.
I think this kind of thing is all about some people being really sensitive to such a thing. I never paid much attention to anyone else at the gym when I used to work out at them. I am sure some people are looking around worried someone might look at them in a negative manner. Most don't really care, but the meathead types are there to show off or whatever. Some gyms have more of those than others. I never really gave it much thought. Some are there to train for certain things and being a muscle head isn't very practical. For example someone might be there just to improve their tennis game or even golf. Who cares? Go and work out. If you can afford it, get a trainer and tell them your concerns. They usually are VERY good at keeping you focused on what you need to do. Talk to management for them to get you a trainer that is good at what you are trying to accomplish. Relax and don't worry so much about this stuff.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I've been to gyms all over the area and never had anyone judged. Even in the most ghetto, Rocky-esque gyms people don't judge. It's Pittsburgh not LA, don't fret!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM

264 posts, read 492,261 times
Another thing to consider is simply getting some free weights and doing some lifting at home (Reps with 10 lb weights can do a LOT for someone who's out of shape), as well as going for a jog every other day or so. This will get your heart rate up and let you start burning off some of that fat before even stepping foot inside the gym.

Eat healthy, and do those exercises for a couple of months and you should see considerable progress. You don't need a gym membership just to slim down, you could do that part on your own and consider the gym in the future when it's time to start toning and building muscle. Gotta get rid of the fat first though.

Just some ideas!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Its mostly in your head. And for the occasional person that really does judge you-- who cares. They have their flaws too.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM

349 posts, read 616,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post

Advice though - the LA Fitness is awesome, just go at non-peak times. I workout first thing in the morning or super late at night and its dead. Just a thought!

Yeah, precisely. :\ I was thinking of joining this one and doing just that- but I'm gonna have to go at off-hours and check it out first.

It's not that I'm worried about what others think, I'm just not a fan of the whisperwhisper snickergigglegiggle as I walk by.

DT, is there a 'refer a friend' program there? Cause if I join, I'll use you as a reference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh