Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,003 times

Advertisements

I just discovered this school. I posted in another spot but was adviced it might get overlooked so sorry if you see same question twice. I've lived in pgh over 12 years and my daughter would start K in 2014. Just notices this school on way to work on day. My childs prek teachers and most others have never heard of it. But those who do say it is great school. Or that their child thrives there but nothing specific. Also web site seems great but vague....lots of schools claim caring teachers, write hamlet or original plays for younger or do family trees in spanish. So looking for details or specifics.

Is there a special focus like art or robotics or tech?
Is there curriculum focus like montessouri or classical or waldorf?
Where do graduates go on to?
Why is your child thriving here and not in another school?
Beside Spanish is there other special classes?
What sort of child would not fit in there? My daughter woildnt do well in montossouri school based on learning style?
How do kids here compare to other kids? Are they more advanced, less, less but with more specific skills like more knowledge in particular topics?

I get feeling the school os either working orr gifted kids or maybe kids who have particular dx such as adhd or are very creative.

Finally my child would start in 2014 so is it too early to apply or inquire?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:13 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,552,795 times
It's a fine place and very welcoming to recent immigrants - there is a significant international element to the student body. You should probably arrange a visit and see for yourself.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 PM

89 posts, read 169,502 times
I do not have a child in school there, but we live right next door (and have lived there for 5 years). I know that it is a very small school with lots of diversity. The teachers, children, and parents are unbelievably nice and polite. They all wave to me on my way to work, have never caused any disturbance in 5 years, and the kids even opened the door for me and helped me carry things from my car when I was very pregnant.

The only negative thing I know (or positive depending on your viewpoint) is that I knew someone who had a 5 year old girl there. She had some behavior problems and the school just could not handle it. They called her mother so often to come get her that they took her out of the school. So, kids with more than normal behavior issues are pretty much kicked out, which could be a positive or a negative depending on if it's your kid. I'd stress that I know this little girl and her behavior problems are not that bad. I'm sure all other schools would be able to handle it.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM

781 posts, read 1,612,294 times
[quote][Is there a special focus like art or robotics or tech?
Is there curriculum focus like montessouri or classical or waldorf?
Where do graduates go on to?
Why is your child thriving here and not in another school?
Beside Spanish is there other special classes?
What sort of child would not fit in there? My daughter woildnt do well in montossouri school based on learning style?
How do kids here compare to other kids? Are they more advanced, less, less but with more specific skills like more knowledge in particular topics?
/QUOTE]

My child is in grade 7 and we love the school. (second year) I will try to answer your questions the best I can. I can only provide a glimpse of fast forward 10 years!

1. They do have robotics and they go to 2 competitions a year. The art teacher must be good because my kid now has some decent art skills and was seriously horrible at it before! They also learn art history. Grades 6-8 pick an elective which is either creative writing or geometry. I think they stay with the same chosen subject all 3 years, but I cannot imagine them saying no if a child wanted to change. They run 2 days a week and they walk to gym at either the Boys & Girls club or Mellon park once or twice a week. For such a small school they do amazing competing on NHD, National History Day. Last year a 6th grader won regionals and moved on to the state level. This year 3 kids moved on to the state level! Only a select few in Western PA (and all regions) get chosen. They have music class every week, however it is guitar.

2.-3. I was worried it was going to be "too" montessouri. I am personally not a huge fan of that method. I think it is a mostly classical with a dash of other methods..at least in the middle school. (I am not familar with Waldorf) They prepare the kids well for Winchester, Shadyside, Obama, Allderdice, Capa, Oakland catholic etc..as far as I can tell most kids go on to Winchester, Oakland (boys & girls school) & Capa.

4. My child clicked with the other kids and it is socially less traumatizing than larger middle schools. Kids can be more themselves. It is not a bubble, kids do tease each other and all of them are annoying at times for various reasons! I like the fact that they get to know classmates well and don't have a sense of anonymity and feel free to bully another kid. I can't say enough about the teachers and the team approach they take. Literature ties in with social studies, math robotics and science tie in to eachother. It just makes sense. My child was having a lot of anxiety at PPS due to how loud and disruptive it was at times, this is a much calmer environment and school is a secure place now.

5. See response #1 and only spanish for language. I think spanish starts in K or grade 1, you can call the school and ask.

6. A kid that wants to attend a larger school, or super interested playing athletics with a school team would probably be dissapointed. Many of kids play sports but on city teams rather than a school team.

7. It seems many kids qualify as gifted but certainly not all. The teachers all are willing to meet/tutor kids that are not grasping a subject. It is a fun ecclectic group of kids from a bunch of backgrounds! There are a many family activites and if there is a birthday party usually all the girls or boys get an invite. It is very inclusive.

I just realized I should get commission for writing this! (I do not work for the school.)

I hope this helps..I am sorry I do not know more first hand about the lower grades, but It seems like the kids love it and the teachers really care.

This school is not for everyone, it was a good fit for us. Call the school and set up an appointment so you and your daughter can see it in action.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 04-20-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM

606 posts, read 939,971 times
I have a first grader there and would recommend it without reservations. All the teachers we've had first-hand experience are phenomenal; I think that can make or break your experience in a school this size.

We chose the school because I wanted to avoid the Everyday Math curriculum and I thought my kiddo would do better in an environment that lets kids go more at their own pace. I also thought my kiddo would do better in smaller classes with some age mixing, which they're very good about.

As far as special classes, it's pretty much art, music, and Spanish for the younger grades. Spanish starts in pre-K.

They use an anti-bullying program that's been well-validated. I have a close friend who's worked in anti-bullying/social aggression research and she says it's the best one available. They really work with the kids on social skills.

The kids in my daughter's class are generally very bright; I know many if not most are reading beyond their grade level and seem to be pretty sophisticated in terms of writing ability/math. But I think that's something that's kind of luck of the draw; I don't think they select for kids who are gifted, so it just depends on the group that enrolls. The school attracts a lot of families of professors and technical types.

I don't think it would be the best place for a kid who really needs a ton of external structure. There are definitely Montessori aspects to the school -- a lot of hands-on work and, as they get older, goal setting -- but it's more constructivist. It's probably better than average in terms of letting the kids run around and blow off steam, but yeah, no team sports.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions about the lower grades!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,941 times
I have a kindergartener there. It is a very relaxed program I think. Some things seem really slow like they do a letterbook every 2-3 weeks (one letter every three weeks) so that could be tough if you child already knows letters and letters sounds (mine didn't as he spoke mostly in another language up to the winter before starting).

Kindergarten seems 'old school': more social then academic. If you child has mastered skills like not taking a toy from other kids, sitting in circle time, working on projects until completion, then this kindergarten will not feel like 'big girl' school and could be frustrating.

To answer some of your specific questions:
---constructivist curriculum is stated but very flexible, no homework in kindergarten, relaxed and social curriculum in kindergarten, lots of time spent on social studies (?): the artic, the farm, different countries of world, indepth study with relavent field trips, books, art projects, and songs around the unit.

What is great:
----The style is a bit different from his Pre-K class where there were absolute rules (like 'if you take a toy then you will be made to give it back and go sit in time out': ie., if someone takes your toy come tell the teacher right away) vs cooperative rules ('if someone takes a toy try to work it out between yourselves calmly before asking teacher to intervene' and when the teacher intervenes by setting a limit on how long you have to play with the toy taken from you learn to comply gracefully). My child needs to learn these cooperative rules, which is at root of his behavior issues (which if you care to read about some not so great things is below). It will be great to see my child grow in this way.
---My child loves the school and talks about how much he likes the teachers, but rarely talks about the kids despite others telling me he has 'best' friend. He really seems to just love the teachers and immulates some in his pretend play at home. We've visited several others and he definately wanted to attend and still attend KAS.
---Another great thing is they work with problems for most part it seems and don't overreact: for example, the kisser, hugger, & scratcher do not get detention for zero tolerance like at my friend's kids schools.

Why thriving:
----My child is thriving because the teacher works with me and gives me tips on what might help him. Peers are diverse but the group is small and the kids are really taught to work well together, be caring, and communicate nicely with each other so my child feels safe with the group. My child is thriving there because he needs a personal touch in a teacher, he's used to teachers who are fair, structured and with clear rules in place. My child rarely gets picked on (I always say haha try to pick on my child because he has a fiery personality) but I can see if a child were often picked on they would do well here as the school is very focused on teaching the kids kindness, cooperation, and getting along well.
---my son is motivated to please the teachers and tries to improve behavior based on comments or critiques from teachers or peers.
---specials he goes to are music, art, spanish (2x week), and yoga. He also has speech therapy so that is available too. He also does sign language but I think that is just intergrated in music or classroom and not a seperate class.

Fitting in:
---my child would not fit into montessouri either but is doing well here. My son wants to pretend play all the time and needs to be told when to work and what to focus on. This school is great balance for that. I do think he is challenging the school as he is maybe a little more behaviorally challenging but not severe: for example, my son was not a behavior problem in a class of 30 but in a class of 10 mostly introverted kids. He is more verbally assertive and thus gets his way more often which of course irritates others who see their children giving up toys because my son walks up and says loudly 'give me that it's my turn now!'. His non-school friends argue back with him but school friends often just hand it over. Not all but many.
----There are a lot of introverts in his class I'd say and the few extroverts including my son seem like elephants in the playroom in comparison. Extroverts (both boys and girls) seem to be labelled with more behavior issues according to parents.

compared to other kids:
----compared to my friends' kids and his friends who are not at the school my son is less advanced in math and reading.
----My child doesn't know any sight words (he sounds out the as tuh,ha,e then gets a look of 'that can't be right').
---He only just learned all the letters sounds after the teacher expressed to me he was not learning them in school and after I taught them myself at home.
----BUT, the teacher has pointed out he is delayed for her class as well so it's likely my son would be delayed anywhere.
----I have no clue what he is expected to learn in the class but I've been told that his work skills are excellant (he does the work through to completion, tries hard, etc...) but that he doesn't learn the material.
---It seems to be a curriculum mismatch as he is now learning the skills based on direct tutoring outside of school.
---I printed off a list of skills from another school that they expect their kids to acquire prior to first grade and am working on mastering those skills and since have been recieving praise for academic improvements (but he is still behind for KAS or any school...I think he would be way way behind for public school criteria).
----the only kids I seen him EVER purposefully irritate are 2 highly reactive kids from his class: he does things like pick up two balloons and march around saying 'I have 2 balloons' to nobody in particular but then seems to enjoy it that the other 2 kids (a boy and a girl) get upset.
----- My child does seem to know more than his nonschool peers (and even some older kids) about special topics covered like he can explain that 'inuits are people who live in the artic and not indians who used to live on the plains of North America'. Overall that is one thing I'm most impressed with is how detailed his study of the world has been...not just fireman and bankers and indians but Inuits, Iroquis, the lives of people on the Yangtze River China (or as he says the yankzee river of China has lots of fisherman).

Big concerns: this could be long!!!
----What concerns me most is that my son doesn't seem to care for classmates. He plays a lot with his non school friends (maybe all day long with neighborhood kids 6-8 hours, weekly playdates with former pre-K friends). At parties with school friends he tends to play what seems play primarily by himself or in parallel play with classmates. He also never asks for playdates with school friends but does constantly for old school friends: I don't think he has much in common with kids in terms of what he likes to do 'for fun'.

A huge setback:
I still stew and am bitter over misunderstanding that took me a long time to get over is that when my child responded strongly to a much older kid at the welcome to school picnic, my son was deemed overly aggressive and bullying the older kid. There was a 7 year age difference but I felt like my son was deemed more offensive then the older boy who started the incident by wresting a ball off my 5 year old. My boy got the ball back by chasing after the boy until another boy gave my son the ball back which resulted in the initial boy bursting into tears and stomping off screaming and crying, but the older boy then got other kids to come get the ball (4 others) and they got into a yelling match with my son on other side of a field from where I was that resulted in the teachers and another parent siding with the other kids that my son had taken the ball for no reason and scolding my son and telling him to give the ball to the older boys and behave himself. The kids then chased him back to me yelling and saying 'haha loser'. It is something that soured me on the school and I can't shake especially since at end of first school week a teacher took the time to write about how well behaved my son was 'given that his behavior so incensed some older boys at the picnic'.

To my chagrine my son was described early on as aggressive and bullying by the kindergarten teacher who didn't seem to be involved at the picnic so would not be influenced by above, which shocked me due to NEVER having issues in Preschool or church groups or summer camps. But my son admitted to his part. The teacher was open to working with me and he seems to have improved but I still get reports that he was 'too rough', 'overly assertive', 'verbally mean', but at least he 'never hits back' but is just 'too easily annoyed' and 'unwilling to compromise'. I think my child was used to more assertive kids so when squabbles arise he becomes very demanding 'don't you dare touch my toy again!' and as someone said above many of his classmates are super polite and well mannered and all he needed to say was 'please stop'.

So, overall I've maybe not had the cheery experiences of some parents (especially in Kindergarten) but I think the school is doing fine. In a larger, uncaring public school my son might be overlooked or pushed to background or labeled a trouble maker. Despite the poor start at the picnic though I found the school to be flexible and fair and focused on educating my child to best he can be.

Truthfully there have been times I've questioned whether it is the 'right' fit or have had my feelings irked by things I've not wanted to hear about my son's learning ability or behaviors but I think that all things taken into account I'm grateful he still has opportunity to attend. I keep telling myself he is happy and he is having positive time and he doesn't see any reason to leave the school so I just got to adjust my attitude and let him. I think as he and his classmates grow as a group he will benefit even more from what school is offerring.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,003 times
Thanks everone. It does sound interesting but a little different philosophy too. I have thought hard. Quarter9 I think you are saying that your kid had no behavoir problems prior or in other places but that he is struggling as result of cooperation method. I can see how kids used to black and white rules might struggle especially kids who like and follow rules but as you note sometimes in real world less assertive kids just hand over the toy, teachers force you to share even if you had it first, and sometimes big kids take your ball. Like you i dont see it as terrible goal but sounds like lot to ask in kindergarteners to try control reactions to make peace all time.

Academically sounds great, especially in middle school. You should indeed get commission! Luabear in light of what Quarter9 explained i think they would have trouble with some behaviors. Definately worth looking into...my daughter would likely hand over her toy so at least that issue would be solved.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,941 times
SigmaEpsilon,

I think you got the point. I feel the school created a behavior problem with my child and if he didn't just give up and stop playing or caring about the other kids then he maybe would have been kicked out soon. My son still has his moments when he gets frustrated but he is less and less sticking up for himself now and mostly just cries when things don't go his way, which seems acceptable to the school. He tries best not to play with the kids in his class and when they do approach him he has learned to be deceptively mean and stern to those who will back off and while he may try he seems to realize that as soon as another child approaches you it doesn't mean you will play together but that the child is going to take your toy. Looking back at the progress report in the first month of school (1st report) my son's behavior were described as excellent (complies with teacher; follows directions, learns from listening, participates, completes work on time, shares, rarely to never disruptive) but now he is marked as seldom complies with teacher, often obstinate about following directions, sulks in response to redirection, seldom shares, often disruptive. Of course I know this could be just typical kindergarten maladjustment, especially in light of his trouble keeping up academically, but it's hard for me to see.

I think the school works maybe better in the upper grades for kids like mine. I think the best thing would have been if I didn't discover the school until he was in at least 3-4th grade because at that point all kids will sort of pan out socially in that play / pretend play is less a necessity so kids are more able to cooperate more (ie, 8-10 year olds don't typically snatch toys off each other but some 5-6 year olds still do).

Since my public school is terrible and we were wait listed at other schools (with unlikely that will get into one before 3rd grade) I just don't see point of pulling him out. If he grades keep slipping I might have too as in a regular public school my son would be in reading support probably at this point and likely math too. Tough to weigh long term. If he needs intense help then probably IEP in public school will be better option.

I didn't realize all that went with upper grades, what SideBlinded said, and that seems really exciting to be looking forward to. Hard to picture my 6 year old as such a big guy though.

Sorry if I came off too hard on the school. It really has a lot of great things and I'm planning to keep my son there (unless they read this and kick me out that is). I just really loved the school and then got soured that first welcome picnic and the first note home. I found that the school while great is not perfect match as I thought is all. I thought I had found the absolute best most wonderful place in world where my son would flourish with nuturing teachers and sympathetic, kind, fun peers and it is just OK. And to boot, it doesn't seem like the teachers really like him (they care about him but I get sense that he was pretty quickly labelled challenging and his self-assertiveness was seen as defensive anger) and then to find he just didn't click with the kids.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM

4 posts, read 9,248 times
My kiddo is also in Kindergarten this year. I like that it is laid back and not rigid about things like formal dress code, small classes, no pressure to the test.

BUT, the older kids are so polite and helpful.

1. I'd say the focus is on art. Lots of art field trips and art is incorporated into hands on projects and the projects seem based on typical Kindergarten themes like farms, Thanksgiving

2. constructivist curriculum. You can google it but it is a bit confusing. To me it seems projects and unit based with lots of cooperation of group.

3. I've heard many go to Winchester.

4. My child is shy and inhibited and a follower. Thriving due to low key and not over focused on academics.

5. Spanish, art, music, yoga

6. A child who needs a lot of movement would not fit in due to small space and no room for recess. A child who argues with adults. Extroverts may find it harder to fit in. A child who is not a behavior problem but who maybe is a bit more physical and assertive could get in more trouble.

7. My child is below same age peers in public school in reading I'd say. No sight words and barely sounds out words. Math is typical but I think they did say it was Everyday Math curriculum. Social Science is advanced. Art is better than many I'd say. Drawing connections between unrelated things is somewhat more advanced.

8. I don't think they screen for giftedness. One child in class seems gifted though to me. Seems pretty mixed bag. I think they would work very well with special needs children due to low key, small classes, reduced academic pressure.

9. Unlike many schools they don't seem to have a year long wait list for enrollment. You could probably wait until fall 2013 to inquire but no later than winter as they tend to start kindergarten visits in February.

Other people's concerns:

I think they do OK with behavior problems. I think certain behaviors would push them over though. They are way more tolerant and rational about what is typical normal behavior and will not over react to something schools with zero tolerance will have you expelled for.

I observed the music class and ALL children including mine were out of control, not listening to teacher, rolling about on floor, hitting each other...I orginally thought it was recess! They put up with it and music teacher was really tolerant. I've heard music is very good at upper level though.

I would say there is a potential for bullying culture (and do not think they have a good plan for if true bullying happened). I think they give a little too much power to the kids (not bad if you have a basically good, well behaved group of kids, which they tend to select for I think). Maybe it is seen as self-directed discipline, with kids often judging other kids and then being supported by the teacher. I do see one child, Quarter09's I think, being picked on a lot because he is a very reactive to and can berate those who try to bully him. The child is very strong and assertive and the teasing is often not noted but his response to it is and he is often being chastised but he is too complacent to the teachers. I observed boys throwing sticks at him hitting him in head and face. But, he was stoic and did not cry. He did however throw a stick back leading to other kids tattling on him at which point he had to sit out an ENTIRE MOVIE (a feature movie so it was over 1 hour) in a chair with his back to room.

The kindergarten teacher may be a little overwhelmed at times in that I've seen kids feelings hurt when she comes into the end of a tiff and sides with the child who perhaps started the misbehavior. One thing to note is that kids don't seem comfortable sticking up for themselves and once the teacher intervenes even those who maybe were trying to work things out (or trying to right a wrong) will not stick up for the wronged party when/after the teacher intervenes and scolds a child. For example, I saw a child walk up and hit another child for no apparent reason. The hit child then grabbed what was used to hit him and another third child said to hitter 'don't hit him'. Teacher turned and took the object off the boy (who was the one who got hit), scolded him into crying for hitting the hitter, told the boy who got hit to sit down, and then teacher walked away. Nobody explained what had happened even the boy who got hit! He just sat there crying and never defended himself. The child who originally started to defend the child stood there the whole time as did the child who hit. The teacher never asked what happened or anything. Once the hit child was in time out the other kids just went back to playing.

Finally, as was mentioned the kids ARE very well behaved and complacent to adults (even when wronged). I think if a child maybe argued back with grown ups (even grown ups who were 'wrong') they would be quickly kicked out but not so much that the teachers can't handle it but that the teacher assumes he/she understands what happened and so will not try to hear the child's point. I child bent on causing another child to get kicked out, particularly a child who has high verbal skills could easily bully in this situation.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,058 times
My son graduated from KAS last year. He is now at Winchester Thurston and was extremely well prepared. We only attended the middle school, but saw real progress in writing, history, science and spanish. The principal, Roberta Kardell was outstanding as a teacher and administrator. I know that Tara, who teaches middle school English, also works with students in all grades who need extra help or enrichment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh