Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

Crews still working to fix water line - Timesonline.com: Local News
Quote:
ALIQUIPPA — Crews on Saturday had repaired one water main break and were in the process of fixing a second line that ruptured last week in Aliquippa.
Water authority General Manager Bob DiGiovine said Saturday evening that crews had found the second break at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and Spring Street, but he was unsure how long it would take to fix it.

“We’re going to stay here until it’s done,” DiGiovine said.

A water line at Franklin Avenue and Spring Street broke Thursday afternoon, buckling pavement on the street above and leaving many city residents without water or with low water pressure. The second main broke less than 24 hours later, sometime overnight between Thursday and Friday.
Residents who are still without water can take containers to be filled at the city’s filtration plant at 160 Hopewell Ave.
I'm a resident of Hopewell, but we have Aliquippa Water Authority water. My water went out around 9:30 p.m. Friday night, and it's not back on yet. (It's pretty crappy water to begin with, but it just adds insult to injury to think that, when it does come back on, I'm going to have to run probably 100 gallons down the drain before it stops looking like coffee...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Ditch, sorry to hear about this. It is a shame anywhere in the US could go without water for that many days. When they do fix the problem they need to flush it out themselves, but guess what? They won't. Just like Sharpsburg when they have a water main problem the residents try and flush the water themselves, but it can take days before it clears up. I hate to say this, but one of the advantages in living in a more affluent area is water. On the other hand, East Liberty/Highland Park have pretty good water and there are plenty of poor areas around there.

Hope you get your water on soon and call them to have them flush it out at the hydrants. Of course they won't, but you could try to get them to do it.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
It's something that only 'Quip's housing projects & predominitly black areas are/have been completely out of water. *From what I've heard...
-poor old Alliquippa

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
They'll have to repair the break and then recharge the system. Also likely is they'll have to run a full load through it to flush the lines and clear them of any sediment, or at least flush the hydrants. Also expect higher concentrations of chlorine/chloramine for a few days.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Sorry to hear you're out of water for so long!

Contact your township commissioners and school district superintendant to encourage them to open up the school showers to residents without water. Even if your family can shower elsewhere, some residents could benefit from having the showers made available.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
It's something that only 'Quip's housing projects & predominitly black areas are/have been completely out of water. *From what I've heard...
-poor old Alliquippa
As I said in the OP, I'm in Hopewell, but share the pain of being served (I use the term loosely) by the Aliquippa Water Authority.

Quote:
They'll have to repair the break and then recharge the system. Also likely is they'll have to run a full load through it to flush the lines and clear them of any sediment, or at least flush the hydrants.
Oh, they systematically flush the lines a couple of times a year. And when they do, I lose service. One time, I came home four days in a row to no water service until it came back on around 9-10 p.m. It's always nice to be able to wash up before dinner.

To be fair, I'm probably as far from, and higher in elevation than, most Aliquippa customers, so I do understand that when bad things happen, or even rountine flushing, I'm going to lose service first, and get it back last.

That having been said though, it's not rocket science to provide cross-connections to adjoining water systems. I'm not sure where exactly the water systems begin and end, but I'm only a few blocks from Center Township, and their water distribution system. Open a valve up the road, and close one down the road to isolate the problem, and there's minimal service interruption. In this day and age, I find the lack of that sort of redundancy hard to forgive.

And while I'm always reluctant to play certain cards, in this case I'll make an exception and play the public safety card--Thank God my house hasn't caught fire this weekend.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
It's something that only 'Quip's housing projects & predominitly black areas are/have been completely out of water.

Didn't know Hopewell was in that category!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Do you think that the water will come back on before the impending power outages?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM

I spoke with the water authority early this afternoon, and was told everything was repaired, and the system was filling back up, and that I could expect the water to be back on shortly. And it was!

It was.

After all the air and sludge ran out, it kinda ran, at least long enough to refill the toilet tank a couple of times, and then it quit again...

Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
It looks like you can stop boiling your water, assuming that you were alerted that you should be boiling your water in the first place:

Boil advisory lifted for Aliquippa residents - Timesonline.com: Local News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh