Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

The renovation of the school in the South Side on 9th st looks to be done: The Residences at South High | South Side Pittsburgh
Hopefully leads to some more rejuvenation to that end of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Lookin' good! Those will be leased out in no time.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Good news. I find it odd that this area of Carson is highly undeveloped. The old Kassabs location at the corner of 10th and Carson has been vacant for years. That is strange given the prominent location at a corner entry point to Pittsburgh's most popular thorofare. I have heard the argument that there is no parking at this end of Carson, thus it remains undeveloped until you get to Jack's at 12th. That's BS. Parking is tight anywhere on Carson. Fatheads does not have it's own parking lot, yet it always packed. If somehthing is cool enough, people will find a place to park and make the trek several blocks to find you. Actually, that entire 1000 block is undeveloped. That corner would be a great location for a parking garage.
As for the area between Station Square and 10th and Carson, it is still kind of gritty and industrial, but it is better than it was a decade or so ago. There have been several improvemants to the area and new businesses. Driving from Station Square to South Side is decidedly Pittsburgh with the mountain on one side, Victorians and industry on the other. I like the way the vegetation from the hillside just dangles over the road in the summer. I foresee some new housing in this corrridor too. on the north side of Carson. There is are not many buidings left that can house bars or restaurants.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 04-23-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I'd love to see a major residential project (often floated in the past) for the Station Square lots east of the Smithfield Street Bridge. I think that would help spark additional residential infill and related development in the zone further east.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Good news. I find it odd that this area of Carson is highly undeveloped. The old Kassabs location at the corner of 10th and Carson has been vacant for years. That is strange given the prominent location at a corner entry point to Pittsburgh's most popular thorofare. I have heard the argument that there is no parking at this end of Carson, thus it remains undeveloped until you get to Jack's at 12th. That's BS. Parking is tight anywhere on Carson. Fatheads does not have it's own parking lot, yet it always packed. If somehthing is cool enough, people will find a place to park and make the trek several blocks to find you. Actually, that entire 1000 block is undeveloped. That corner would be a great location for a parking garage.
While I can only vouch for the specifics of a couple of places, I have to imagine that many of the vacant places on Carson St suffer from the same - I know the guy that owns 2 or 3 of the buildings on the 1000 block - he is very wealthy doesn't 'need' the money, but also won't entertain any offers below a certain price for the buildings thus has no problem seeing them sit empty.

I did see the assessed value on them shot up very considerably do maybe the taxes will push him to consider a more reasonable asking price

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM

349 posts, read 616,052 times
Wow! I'd love to live there, but unfortunately the price tag is too high for me... plus I have pets and I'm sure they'll charge more for them.

Would still love to go and actually see them, though... and what become of my beloved high school!

Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post

Yes, those first 2 blocks 10th-12th are a bit rundown compared to the rest of Carson. However, if you drive through there you will see that only 4 buildings are actually vacant. The problem is the one you mentioned on the corner is the most visible and rundown of them all. Combine this with the 2 gas stations across from each other and what you have is a really crappy looking entrance to a great neighborhood.

The great news is that this renovated and stately new residence is the other property on that corner and it will likely bring some new businesses to quickly fill in those vacant buildings that remain nearby.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
I'm looking at moving in the third quarter this year, and want to stay in Southside...these places look pretty nice and are definately cheaper than what I'm paying now for a 1bedroom...hmm...

Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM

894 posts, read 1,324,573 times
About time pgh has done something right to attract young people to the area! Good job!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
About time pgh has done something right to attract young people to the area! Good job!
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh