Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times

Advertisements

I kind of prefer that I have to wear a suit everyday makes rolling out of bed & throwing something on that matches & looks decent easy without much thinking required. Anyone needing a good suit on the cheap should have stalked the Saks's sale as I picked up a bunch of Hickey Freeman & a couple Brioni suits for under $200.

I might put your seeing lots of baggy suits here less to people buying cheap & more to the abundance of fatties the city has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I have to agree that Pittsburgh is filled with horrible, "I don't care" outfits. The contrast between here and DC is shocking. Wish people would take some pride in appearances, but the majority just wear flip-flops and look like they don't care about even brushing their teeth or washing themselves. It is what it is. I am lucky in my hometown I see smartly dressed neighbors a lot. It sure is uplifting compared to what I see around Oakland and Downtown. Slob after slob. Also nice clothes are as comfortable as any kind of clothes if they fit well. You don't have to wear a suit, just decent clothing. It has nothing to do with comfort, or whatever other excuse people make. It has to do with a statement saying, "I don't care". Kind of sad the direction people are going. More I don't care stuff and less pride in oneself. If I see flip-flops, I assume lazy and someone that has very little pride in anything. Just meandering through life with little regard for anything.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I might put your seeing lots of baggy suits here less to people buying cheap & more to the abundance of fatties the city has.
Yeah big baggy clothes are for the fatties. That is true. We have tons of them.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:02 AM

408 posts, read 991,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have to agree that Pittsburgh is filled with horrible, "I don't care" outfits. The contrast between here and DC is shocking.
I don't actually pay much attention to to how people dress, but the lack of pride in appearance carries over into everything else - buildings, roads, weeds billowing out from the medians, etc.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
If I see flip-flops, I assume lazy and someone that has very little pride in anything. Just meandering through life with little regard for anything.
I'm so glad there's dudes that think that about guys like me because that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Some straight up 1980's mindsets on here today.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I'm so glad there's dudes that think that about guys like me because that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Some straight up 1980's mindsets on here today.
How do you figure? It is kind of its own status to tell all, "Look, you can see I just don't care". You and I know that is what it is all about. It takes some pressure off life though. People won't expect much from anyone looking like a slob. It takes no extra time to dress smart. It can be as cheap to dress smart. It can be as comfortable to dress smart. Being a slob is its own status to tell all, "Look at me, I don't care".

Old 05-04-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
How do you figure? It is kind of its own status to tell all, "Look, you can see I just don't care". You and I know that is what it is all about. It takes some pressure off life though. People won't expect much from anyone looking like a slob. It takes no extra time to dress smart. It can be as cheap to dress smart. It can be as comfortable to dress smart. Being a slob is its own status to tell all, "Look at me, I don't care".
Flip flops =/= slob. Holes in your shirt with ketchup stains? That's a slob.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that people dress in expensive suits are flaunting their status and those who dress comfortably don't have to. It is not cheap to buy a name brand suit for every work day of the week. That tells the world "look how important I am, I have a suit and a briefcase" when all that tells me is that they're either self centered or hanging on to a 1980's mindset that died a long time ago.

I'll take my flip flops any day as I check out the balance of my retirement fund at age 27, thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM
gg

Quote:
F
Anyway, what I'm saying is that people dress in expensive suits are flaunting their status and those who dress comfortably don't have to. It is not cheap to buy a name brand suit for every work day of the week. That tells the world "look how important I am, I have a suit and a briefcase" when all that tells me is that they're either self centered or hanging on to a 1980's mindset that died a long time ago.

I'll take my flip flops any day as I check out the balance of my retirement fund at age 27, thanks.
Ah, look at what you said. Perfect. You state that people who wear nice clothing are, "flaunting their status". Why? Did it ever occur to you that they might just like nice clothes? All people wearing suits are "flaunting"? You do know some jobs require a suit, correct? Why are they "flaunting"?

It isn't my mindset, it is your own. Look at what you wrote above. It is all about your own status, telling all, look, I wear what I want and enjoy portraying my middle finger to the establishment. Please, I have been on the earth too long to really argue these points with you. I know what you wear is actually planned. It is your statement. You think you are telling the suit wearers, I don't have to wear that and you think they care. Most could care less.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Flip flops =/= slob. Holes in your shirt with ketchup stains? That's a slob.

I disagree with both extemes- I have no problem with flip flops, heck I wore a pair to the bar last night, though I recognize theyre far from looking 'good' & were perfectly suited for hanging out at a dive bar - walking to said bar I passed a funeral home where some people were entering also were wearing flip flops which is at the least disrespectful for the event you are attending & does appear slobbish.

Likewise I don't see wearing an expensive suit as purely showing off (though of course for some that is the sole reason & also partly why Armani continues to do sell well even with their suspect quality), but there are times that a properly fitted high quality suit is indeed nearly required to succeed in certain business ventures (dealings with businessmen in hong kong in particular comes to mind) or really any situation where someone is choosing between professionals, with all other things being equal & one is much more professionally dressed then the other.

I personally prefer good name brand suits because they hold up much better & have a better fit then others - though I always wait until i find them heavily discounted too as I'm a cheap sob

Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Ah, look at what you said. Perfect. You state that people who wear nice clothing are, "flaunting their status". Why? Did it ever occur to you that they might just like nice clothes? All people wearing suits are "flaunting"? You do know some jobs require a suit, correct? Why are they "flaunting"?

It isn't my mindset, it is your own. Look at what you wrote above. It is all about your own status, telling all, look, I wear what I want and enjoy portraying my middle finger to the establishment. Please, I have been on the earth too long to really argue these points with you. I know what you wear is actually planned. It is your statement. You think you are telling the suit wearers, I don't have to wear that and you think they care. Most could care less.
Haha what are you even rambling about? It's the complete opposite. I've worked at enough places where suit wearing middle management would boast about eating a $200 dollar steak dinner while they drove Chevy Malibu's. It's just that fake culture where old men are faking the funk day after day just to flaunt their status (or at least attempt to).

The CEO of my current company told us long ago, "companies like ours are teaching the business world that you can take someone seriously in jeans". I guess he must be anti-establishment too? I'd take his advice over some old antiquated notion that dressing like it's the Regan era means that you are held to a higher standard in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh