Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Curtis,

Time to sell your house and move out of county. Seems that's the only way you're going to be happy. I live in McCandless, your millage rate is around 28, mine around 25. I knew it when I moved here, and also knew that hopefully, my home value would increase. That's how it works. Or wait until your child is out of high school.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think this is true when, say, you are talking about the millages for the school districts. Those really can affect locational decisions.

The millage for the County? Eh, not so much. I'm not saying they could raise it to arbitrarily high levels, but the recent 1 mill increase, or for that matter another increase of that size, isn't going to amount to enough money to make it worthwhile for most people to go through the expense of moving, or the expense of a longer commute, or so on.

And, of course, there is the issue of what that money pays for. It does in fact stink that the states and feds are cutting the County's funding, but the County won't be a worthwhile place to live if it stops performing its core functions.
I just meant to point out that as the governing body decreases in size, the sensitivity to its taxation decisions increases, and local governments should be mindful of it when they already have a bad reputation. Most people aren't going to be motivated to move by a modest increase or even several modest increases in taxes (and many will stay put no matter how high they become); those on the periphery of the County, and of those, the highest earners might be most likely to relocate...even then it would likely be other factors inspiring the move in the first place, just that tax rates could factor in to a future decision to move.

As for what the taxes pay for, it will be interesting to see if cuts are made, and what is cut. Transit is something highly visible.

Mostly, though, I am concerned about h_curtis leaving the Allegheny. I'm saddened by the thought of him having to perform a triathlon of car driving, bicycling, and public transit riding to get from his new home to East Liberty.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I live in McCandless, your millage rate is around 28, mine around 25. I knew it when I moved here, and also knew that hopefully, my home value would increase. That's how it works. Or wait until your child is out of high school.

Good Luck!
If only the millage rates and taxes wouldn't keep going up every single year, I would become comfortable. It makes it impossible to budget for future years. Seems it is just going to keep getting more and more expensive and I will see a grand a month at some point. I really don't care how much I make, Pittsburgh isn't worth a grand a month to me. I don't really want to burn that kind of money for government's wasteful mess. What they need to do is cut about half of government workers overnight, but I guess that won't happen. Just a bunch of hot air getting nothing done and rapping us all. Sick! Maybe I should just hand over all my savings, let all of them punch me in the gut and live in some box and be done with it. What a place to live!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
I
Mostly, though, I am concerned about h_curtis leaving the Allegheny. I'm saddened by the thought of him having to perform a triathlon of car driving, bicycling, and public transit riding to get from his new home to East Liberty.
How kind. Thanks for your concern. I have a few more years and then I will move. I am not sure where, but I am going to ride my bike down that trail from Homestead to get a feel for what is doable. Sure my commute might be an hour and a half on my bike, but I would be in pretty sick shape, but I won't be able to do another sport I like because I will be too tired. I am counting the years to move time. I think I had enough of all this. I also feel I would rather be on the East/Southern side of the city, so Westmoreland County would be probably the best choice. It would be a better commute to Seven Springs and closer to great outdoor events around Ohiopyle and such. Looking forward to that ride down the trail. It will be a few weeks before I can do that, but I will report my findings on the region over the boarder.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
"I'm going to martyr myself . . . in a few more years" rather undermines the dramatic effect.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Paying teachers piles of money has very little to do with raising children. 90% of that comes from parenting, not school. Yes, the area is affluent. That isn't a coincidence, it is planned, so the funding for the school is in place and not struggling. I think the district can do as well paying a quarter less than they do. I mean over $100K at the top end? Really? For 180 days of work? Get real! I have no problem with the $50-60K range, but the rest is a joke. There are teachers in other areas making 1/2 or even less and I'll be just as many of those teachers are good at what they do. I don't buy into these insane salaries and teachers not paying for healthcare at all. Then those massive pensions. Totally unsustainable. Do you know how much money this area makes in taxes and they STILL have to raise the millage year after year? What a crock of crap!
Uhh, nothing you wrote in any way answers my question. If you think Fox Chapel Schools are overpaid and overrated, why the hell are you still there?

Also, I don't mean to be judgmental in any way, but if a tax increase will really force you to move, isn't it a teensy bit possible you're living beyond your means? I mean, we put away an extra ten thousand or so in savings per year, which I know isn't the norm, but still.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Uhh, nothing you wrote in any way answers my question. If you think Fox Chapel Schools are overpaid and overrated, why the hell are you still there?

Also, I don't mean to be judgmental in any way, but if a tax increase will really force you to move, isn't it a teensy bit possible you're living beyond your means? I mean, we put away an extra ten thousand or so in savings per year, which I know isn't the norm, but still.
Um, I carry no debt. I still want to budget my money. How do you think I live totally debt free? It was funny reading your post though. Thanks.

The school district is mostly good because involvement of parents and has nothing to do with wildly inflated salaries. Many families in the Borough only have one parent working, so there is someone at home raising the children and being involved. That is where the important part is. Never said FC was "overrated", those are your words, not mine. Also there are plenty of international students there, so that is good for my families situation.

Taxes just keep going up do to massive waste and a blank check mentality. We are taxing ourselves to the point we can't be competitive at all with other cities. I fear this is the beginning of our double dip. Especially when Pitt and CMU dry up. CMU's freshman class is pretty small. Not sure about Pitt, but the massive debt kids are graduating with, will no doubt start changing what kids do. The cycle is ripe to fall. Therefore our biggest employer will no doubt be hurting at some point. Less students and all these professors and administrators and a host of other employees will be looking for work. Time will tell, but the massive increases in tuition will have an effect. All this with our outrageous taxes spells trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh