Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There is a specific boarding order on Southwest, though, even if there are not specific assigned seats, and some people have paid extra to get higher in the order. The rest is in the order you check in. So there is some reasonable expectation that the first person in line doesn't go blocking off several seats for others in their party who are boarding in the B or C groups.

If you are traveling with friends who made separate reservations, it's quite possible not to be able to board at the same time if someone doesn't bother to check in early enough, etc.
That's silly way to do business because it prevents family and friends from being able to board together. If there isn't assigned seats, there shouldn't be a boarding order IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Wow, not seat assignments. That sounds like a drag. Never flew them and when I check their rates they always are a bit higher than other options. Not that there is many options around here.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Never flew them and when I check their rates they always are a bit higher than other options.
Funny how that varies from city to city. Down my way Southwest has the best rates.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
When I get the first wave ticket, I always run to the back of the plane, that way no yinzer kicks your seat and you get less air.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 AM

270 posts, read 340,973 times
LOL, I went to Vegas a few weeks back and there was a set of guys like that on my flight too- but they did not try to save seats. Normally I really like Southwest but that's the risk you take without assigned seats.

FYI to the poster who said "maybe they were not Burghers"....there is no way to mistake someone from "out of town" as a yinzer. The Pgh accent is recognizable in about 5 seconds. Not that all Burghers are yinzers but there's no way you could listen to some guy from say, Nebraska talk and think he was a yinzer.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Funny how that varies from city to city. Down my way Southwest has the best rates.
I only fly Southwest. I love puddling jumping. I love the sit down buckle up we're taking off attitude. The last time I flew Continental, there was a seat changing nightmare (For me, as I'm claustrophobic and NEED the plane to take off NOW) and the attendant told me they build that time in....

Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
FYI to the poster who said "maybe they were not Burghers"....there is no way to mistake someone from "out of town" as a yinzer. The Pgh accent is recognizable in about 5 seconds. Not that all Burghers are yinzers but there's no way you could listen to some guy from say, Nebraska talk and think he was a yinzer.
That's not what I said - you're welcome to re-read the post. I was talking about other people - not the OP's yinzers. But yep, that's the risk you run - my point was that it's not just a Pittsburgh thing.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Wow, not seat assignments. That sounds like a drag. Never flew them and when I check their rates they always are a bit higher than other options. Not that there is many options around here.
I like the fact there are no assigned seats. Being a tall person, it is nice to board and grab an aisle seat so I'm not too crammed with the way planes are organized these days.

As for the rates, has anyone done a complete comparision? I'm talking about comparing them with another airline taking all factors into consideration: same flight (stops if required), 1-2 checked bags, etc. With all the extra bag fees others charge, I think the rates would be closer.

I'm flying Southwest to Vegas on Sunday. It's actually one of the very few direct flights left that I could see. I was willing to pay a little extra to cut out any stops and decrease my travel time.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Southwest usually works out to less $$ if you are checking even one bag, which will cost you an extra 50-60 bucks round trip on other airlines except JetBlue, which gives you one bag for free. Southwest gives you two for free, so that adds up if you're bringing some extra stuff. If it's a short jaunt with no checked bags you might be able to do better.

Although I don't fly very much now all my most recent flights have been nonstops on JetBlue and Southwest because I like the ease of checking a bag, and they usually come out cheaper when figuring that in. I hate dragging bags through airports then scrambling for bin space.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Didn't we all learn in grade school to keep our hands to ourself, no cutting in line, and no saving seats?

Manners are dead these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh