Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM

30 posts, read 48,691 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are considering a new job in the Latrobe area and are unsure where we might live. Our main concern is schools.

Our children (elementary age) currently attend a Catholic school in a Pittsburgh suburb. The Catholic school options in Greensburg/Latrobe are not ideal -- the only viable option seems to be Aquinas Academy in Greensburg, and it is more expensive than what we're used to ($5,000/child, with no multiple-child discount, and we have four children). Holy Trinity in Ligonier looks very nice, but it is small (135 students), and I know enough about Catholic schools to know it's probably too small for long-term viability.

As for public schools -- we would like an excellent school district, and when I peruse test scores and rankings, I don't see one in the immediate area. Greater Latrobe seems to be solid enough, but not excellent. The best option on paper seems to be Franklin Regional in Murrysville; however, for pretty much every other aspect of life, we'd rather be in Latrobe/Unity Township.

Can anyone comment on the above schools/districts and perhaps convince us of a good school option? Is there any chance Greater Latrobe is an up-and-coming district that is not reflected yet in their high school test scores? I note Greater Latrobe Junior High has higher rates of reading and math proficiency than the High School does (as recorded by US News). Or is this wishful thinking on our part?

Search Pennsylvania High Schools | US News

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Latrobe is a solid school system, with their kids going into Ivies, service academies and pretty much whatever school(s) they want.
It is also very safe.

So you already ruled out CDT?
Christ the Divine Teacher Catholic School - Latrobe, Pennsylvania Diocese of Greensburg

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 AM

PittChick, thanks for your reply. I would need to do more research into Christ the Divine Teacher. I have a friend who has lived her whole life in the Latrobe area, and she said she thought the best Catholic option for both academics and viability (quite frankly, one of our main concerns in this era of Catholic school closures) is Aquinas Academy. However, we are absolutely open to second opinions on the matter.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeBill View Post
PittChick, thanks for your reply. I would need to do more research into Christ the Divine Teacher. I have a friend who has lived her whole life in the Latrobe area, and she said she thought the best Catholic option for both academics and viability (quite frankly, one of our main concerns in this era of Catholic school closures) is Aquinas Academy. However, we are absolutely open to second opinions on the matter.
I have heard good things about Mother of Sorrows in Murrysville.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 AM

110 posts, read 152,898 times
Don't sell Latrobe short, I live in the City since my children are grown but they graduated from Latrobe and were both were early admission to Pitt and both have received Masters degrees. My daughter has 2 Masters degrees. Not to mention from my sons friends the are a couple of engineers, a doctor and a Phd in Chemistry. Franklin Regional has nothing on Latrobe from a educational standard.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Hi all,

We are considering a new job in the Latrobe area and are unsure where we might live. Our main concern is schools.

Our children (elementary age) currently attend a Catholic school in a Pittsburgh suburb. The Catholic school options in Greensburg/Latrobe are not ideal -- the only viable option seems to be Aquinas Academy in Greensburg, and it is more expensive than what we're used to ($5,000/child, with no multiple-child discount, and we have four children). Holy Trinity in Ligonier looks very nice, but it is small (135 students), and I know enough about Catholic schools to know it's probably too small for long-term viability.

As for public schools -- we would like an excellent school district, and when I peruse test scores and rankings, I don't see one in the immediate area. Greater Latrobe seems to be solid enough, but not excellent. The best option on paper seems to be Franklin Regional in Murrysville; however, for pretty much every other aspect of life, we'd rather be in Latrobe/Unity Township.

Can anyone comment on the above schools/districts and perhaps convince us of a good school option? Is there any chance Greater Latrobe is an up-and-coming district that is not reflected yet in their high school test scores? I note Greater Latrobe Junior High has higher rates of reading and math proficiency than the High School does (as recorded by US News). Or is this wishful thinking on our part?

Search Pennsylvania High Schools | US News

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Have you looked at the Pittsburgh Business Times Ranking? It places Latrobe SD as 4th in Westmoreland behind the following:
1. Franklin Regional
2. Penn-Trafford
3. Norwin
4. Latrobe
5. Ligonier
6. Greensburg Salem

See Honor Roll Local Ranking Information - Pittsburgh Business Times

I have always heard good things about the Latrobe SD. The Franklin Regional SD is probably the least attractive in the top six for commuting to the Latrobe area.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM

villageidiot1, thanks for the link. We did see the PBT rankings. My husband is a graduate of Penn-Trafford, so we are fairly familiar with that district.

Essentially, we are trying to weigh schools vs. geographic considerations. We like Latrobe/Unity Township's geography and setting (mountains, quieter section of Route 30) -- much more so than North Huntingdon, Penn Township, Murrysville, etc. I am not sure if one or two spots higher in rank is enough to make a decision to live elsewhere. A big leap forward in quality, however, IS enough -- thus we would consider Murrysville to put us in Franklin Regional.

Billy53, what you write supports what I was thinking -- which is that GLSD is probably very similar to my own high school alma mater.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
Quote:
villageidiot1, thanks for the link. We did see the PBT rankings. My husband is a graduate of Penn-Trafford, so we are fairly familiar with that district.

Essentially, we are trying to weigh schools vs. geographic considerations. We like Latrobe/Unity Township's geography and setting (mountains, quieter section of Route 30) -- much more so than North Huntingdon, Penn Township, Murrysville, etc. I am not sure if one or two spots higher in rank is enough to make a decision to live elsewhere. A big leap forward in quality, however, IS enough -- thus we would consider Murrysville to put us in Franklin Regional.

Billy53, what you write supports what I was thinking -- which is that GLSD is probably very similar to my own high school alma mater.
i agree with you all 3 of those school districts are kind of lame. norwin too commercial and bad traffic..pt is 15 miles of housing plan, and murrysville takes the worst of both and squishes them together.

i don't see any reason someone would move to murrysville instead of latrobe, when you like latrobe better and work in latrobe, simply because some kids who you don't know scored half a point higher on some test.

if your kids are smart and driven and have good parents it shouldn't matter if they went almost anywhere, let alone latrobe.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM

>I have heard good things about Mother of Sorrows in Murrysville.

robrobrob, can you tell me what you've heard? Their web site was not super-informative.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i agree with you all 3 of those school districts are kind of lame. norwin too commercial and bad traffic..pt is 15 miles of housing plan, and murrysville takes the worst of both and squishes them together. ---- While, i do like all 3 areas, great job describing.

i don't see any reason someone would move to murrysville instead of latrobe, when you like latrobe better and work in latrobe, simply because some kids who you don't know scored half a point higher on some test.

if your kids are smart and driven and have good parents it shouldn't matter if they went almost anywhere, let alone latrobe.
Yes, Schools do vary in quality, but ulitimatley home life and kid has more to do with the situation than the school.. Just the notion of the OP asking the question I would NO worries that thier children will not prosper in any of the mentioned districts.

GREAT POOST SAFAK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh