Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

"Entirely free from profit motive" is also potentially sticky. Obviously they don't have stockholders, but many of their employees are very well compensated, and it could be argued that if, say, you formed an umbrella group of well-compensated professionals, they shouldn't be free from paying property taxes just because the umbrella group was designed not to make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Highmark (do they even own land? I assume Fifth Ave Place is owned by a real estate group, which probably pays taxes)
I don't know about that. They somehow own both Fifth Ave Place and Penn Ave Place (former Horne's) across the street. I don't think they're owned by a for-profit subsidiary.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
A quick search of 120 5th Ave on the Allegheny Co Assessment (Address of Fifth Avenue Place) shows two properties, both identical in size, with assessements of $53.4m and $28.9m, with tax bills for 2012 of $298k and $161k, respectively. Owner is listed as "Jenkins Empire Associates".

Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
A quick search of 120 5th Ave on the Allegheny Co Assessment (Address of Fifth Avenue Place) shows two properties, both identical in size, with assessements of $53.4m and $28.9m, with tax bills for 2012 of $298k and $161k, respectively. Owner is listed as "Jenkins Empire Associates".
Ah, well, I'm wrong about the subsidiaries after all. Jenkins Empire Associates (and also an entity JEA Inc.) is a majority-owned or wholly-owned subsidiary of Highmark. If it's paying taxes, well, that's something I guess.

Penn Ave Place (501-521 Penn Ave in the assessment web site) was sold in March 2012 for $48 million to "HTA-Penn Ave LLC" which is Healthcare Trust of America, a REIT. So Highmark actually does not own this anymore. The former owner was "Penn Avenue Place Associates" which may have been created by Highmark as the sale price is listed as $10 and the reporting when purchased was always that it was purchased by Highmark. Taxes have been paid the last few years at $164k and new bill of $192k or something I think it was (already closed it). The Jenkins purchase prices are also $0 and $1 so I would guess that was in setting up the subsidiary.

This link will download (from the state web site) a PDF that shows the PA-based subsidiaries of Highmark in early 2009, including Jenkins Empire Associates. Unfortunately I can't get the Google search BS out of it. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...-yZ4pxRPJGgdAw

Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
"Entirely free from profit motive" is also potentially sticky. Obviously they don't have stockholders, but many of their employees are very well compensated, and it could be argued that if, say, you formed an umbrella group of well-compensated professionals, they shouldn't be free from paying property taxes just because the umbrella group was designed not to make a profit.
This isn't sticky with UPMC. They spent a year-and-a-half insisting that they were competing with West Penn/Highmark. Competition is only involved in seeking profit. Since they admitted to it already, proving it should be a piece of cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh