Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,882 times

Advertisements

I used to live on that side of the city and spent a lot of time walking around all of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I used to live on that side of the city and spent a lot of time walking around all of those areas.
^ As one of the aforementioned prostitutes?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM

22 posts, read 39,646 times
lol!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,808,578 times
Quote:
Don't listen to all the naysayers and condescending attitudes toward Pitcairn. Like most of the older urban suburbs east of the city, Pitcairn is not fashionable and thus attracts a lot of scorn from city and exurban snobs alike.
Agreed. I always thought Pitcairn had a really cool look.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ As one of the aforementioned prostitutes?
In your dreams! lol

Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 PM

56 posts, read 99,288 times
Pitcairn gives a good idea of what East Pittsburgh, Turtle Creek, and Wilmerding may have looked like in their heyday. Lower class, but dense and busy. There are always people out on their porches and kids playing in the streets when I drive through. Broadway is pretty much completely intact. The town didn't have the Tri-boro cut through, so it never had to go through the whole 1960's urban renewal all it's neighbors had to suffer through. Trafford is a similar place right down the road.

The business district takes up only one side of the main street (Broadway). The other side of the road is a mix of parking, a small car dealership, and further down the police station and a gas station. This side of the road (which is adjacent to the Turtle Creek) could sure use some fixin' up. Clean it up, plant some nice trees, emphasize the Turtle Creek, and it could really make Broadway shine.

It would be rather unrealistic, but I'd love to see the land between Pitcairn and Wall fill in and connect the two towns. Unfortunately the railyard is in the way and probably won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Trafford and Pitcairn are just about the end of the line in terms of urban density coming out from the city. East of Trafford, you're done with the city. Irwin is the next town from there, and then it's all farmland. Pitcairn and everything west is all mixed suburban/industrial/urban.

Last edited by Azeez; 05-20-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,337,289 times
Quote:
It's also worth noting that Pitcairn is rather convenient to the East End.
How so?

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 AM

56 posts, read 99,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
How so?
Tri-Boro, Electric Avenue, Ardmore Boulevard, Penn Ave, East End.

Or Tri-Boro, Greensburg Pike, Penn Ave, East End.

Or Tri-Boro, Brown Avenue, William Penn HWY, Penn Ave, East End.

Is there a little distance? Sure, but there are three simple ways to get to the East End and you don't even need to think about the Parkway.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM

632 posts, read 1,066,515 times
I work out here, and I would never live out here...regardless of cheap rent. You're asking about bars/restaurants...if thats what you're looking for then look closer to Monroeville or the city.

Edit - just saw you said you already live out here...if thats the case and you dont mind it then go for it!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 39,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
I work out here, and I would never live out here...regardless of cheap rent.

Whys that? You're scaring me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh