Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:29 PM

103 posts, read 110,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcastle View Post
Yep. It's also worth mentioning that many people call in sick when they're not so they can do spontaneous things or just to take a mental day. I call in sick about 6 days per year and am only sick for 3 of those days usually. The key thing is not to call in sick too often and to spread your "sick" days out.
I have never done anything like that. I guess I really do have a great boss, he told me in the very beginning that if I need to go somewhere/do something I should just let him know of my plans and do it. Oh well...it will be hard to adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Also, don't forget Pittsburgh is only 2 hours away from Presque Isle and Lake Erie!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
You can kayak in Pittsburgh's rivers, Minthotchocolate, but don't drink the water or eat the fish from them. It's also a place where drinking bottled water might be better than drinking tapwater.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,638,813 times
I moved here from Seattle and Pittsburgh is just not the same. I totally get what you say about the adventure spirit in that area...I felt that the moment we arrived there. *And nearly everyone was into the activities. I could totally see my boss being okay with me tsking off early for a kayak or biking day. And the beauty of the area is hard to match. I so miss seeing mount Rainer every day. *There are other things I miss as well. I cried when we left there even though I was the one that decided to leave. (Dh was retiring from the military and all our family was on the east coast). *But with all that after being here about two years I realized somehow the Pittsburgh area had wiggled its way into my heart. Seattle was newer but something about the Pittsburgh grittiness just is charming. People tend to be more human here with all their quirks. And yes not everyone is into adventure...most of my work mates were baffled by my love of mountain biking and hiking. My dh is my adventure pal so I don't feel slighted. There is great beauty to be had here. Enjoy!

I think if I would have focused on what Pittsburgh *does not have I would have been miserable. Instead I embraced it and it has done the same to me.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 9,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
I have never done anything like that. I guess I really do have a great boss, he told me in the very beginning that if I need to go somewhere/do something I should just let him know of my plans and do it. Oh well...it will be hard to adjust.
I have a great boss too. Any kind of personal emergency, she's been very accommodating. I also sense that she knows when I'm sick or not, but understands that we all need a mental day once in awhile.

But as BrianTh said, calling off last minute won't jive here, especially if its excessive. And Hopes is right with respect to planning your activities around your schedule, it's very doable.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't think this area is generally opposed to the notion of having a healthy work/life balance, including time off to enjoy the outdoors. What I think would be unusual is calling off last minute a lot, but generally you shouldn't need to do that to have a lot of outdoor activity in your regular schedule.

Edit: That said, I agree people take the occasional "mental health day".
Thanks! I am glad to hear that.

I can arrange my life around weekends (in fact, I don't really take days off mid-week as often as I probably made it sound). I am more concerned about other people judging me for even thinking about this.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You can kayak in Pittsburgh's rivers, Minthotchocolate, but don't drink the water or eat the fish from them. It's also a place where drinking bottled water might be better than drinking tapwater.
That's good to know, thank you! I was wondering about the rivers, whether they are clean or not. Do people swim in the rivers, is it safe? I am following this terrible story in the news about flesh eating bacteria...

Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minthotchocolate View Post
Also...it is hard to explain...everyone around me now is doing the same thing and it is easy to find buddies for outdoor outings. And it is not awkward to tell your boss that you are taking a day off because it snows or that you won't work this weekend because the weather is too good to miss. I've heard east coast is not like that at all. That worries me!
The first part of this really depends upon where you live I suppose, and who you meet and make friends with. I mean, since you like to do these things, it will be natural to make friends with others also doing them and thus "everyone around you" ultimately will also do them.

The second part is going to depend upon what type of work and who you are working for. That doesn't fly in a large corporation, though I doubt it flies in a large corporation out there either, come on. I don't know what sort of work you mean but if it isn't something where it's critical that you be there on the weekend I don't know why it would be a problem here ensure you get to enjoy the good weather. If it is critical that you are there, then I suspect the weather has little sway in the matter even out there. Certainly there are stranger reasons people take off work, methinks. Anyway, I would suggest that this is not a regional cultural thing as much as it is an individual workplace culture thing. There *are* workplaces here where you'd have flexible time, depending upon what type of work you do. They may be seen as an exception rather than the rule, but they're not unheard of.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I moved here from Seattle and Pittsburgh is just not the same. I totally get what you say about the adventure spirit in that area...I felt that the moment we arrived there. *And nearly everyone was into the activities. I could totally see my boss being okay with me tsking off early for a kayak or biking day. And the beauty of the area is hard to match. I so miss seeing mount Rainer every day. *There are other things I miss as well. I cried when we left there even though I was the one that decided to leave. (Dh was retiring from the military and all our family was on the east coast). *But with all that after being here about two years I realized somehow the Pittsburgh area had wiggled its way into my heart. Seattle was newer but something about the Pittsburgh grittiness just is charming. People tend to be more human here with all their quirks. And yes not everyone is into adventure...most of my work mates were baffled by my love of mountain biking and hiking. My dh is my adventure pal so I don't feel slighted. There is great beauty to be had here. Enjoy!

I think if I would have focused on what Pittsburgh *does not have I would have been miserable. Instead I embraced it and it has done the same to me.
Thank you so much for replying! You know what I am going through! I cry often since we made this decision, even though I was the one who finalized it. I know that we will be able to afford much more in Pittsburgh, and it is great professionally for both of us, but I can't get used to the idea that I won't be able to come down to my favorite beach after work or see the slopes from my window. I will miss it so much... I hope that some day I will be at peace with it like you are!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The first part of this really depends upon where you live I suppose, and who you meet and make friends with. I mean, since you like to do these things, it will be natural to make friends with others also doing them and thus "everyone around you" ultimately will also do them.

The second part is going to depend upon what type of work and who you are working for. That doesn't fly in a large corporation, though I doubt it flies in a large corporation out there either, come on. I don't know what sort of work you mean but if it isn't something where it's critical that you be there on the weekend I don't know why it would be a problem here ensure you get to enjoy the good weather. If it is critical that you are there, then I suspect the weather has little sway in the matter even out there. Certainly there are stranger reasons people take off work, methinks. Anyway, I would suggest that this is not a regional cultural thing as much as it is an individual workplace culture thing. There *are* workplaces here where you'd have flexible time, depending upon what type of work you do. They may be seen as an exception rather than the rule, but they're not unheard of.
Thanks!! That cheers me up! I hope things work out eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh