Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM

13 posts, read 59,457 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, along with two elementary school-age daughters are moving to Pittsburgh. We are white. Our daughters are both adopted -- one is Latino and the other is mixed race (half African American). Racial diversity is a priority for us. So is living in an urban, or semi-urban family neighborhood. What are the most diverse neighborhoods in Pittsburgh?

My husband will be making a good salary so we could afford a place like Squirrel Hill. We also may be able to afford private schools and would prioritize that if it meant our daughters could go to a progressive, diverse school. Thanks for any and all thoughts. Also if there are diverse dance classes or other activities for the kids that would be great to know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimideede View Post
My husband and I, along with two elementary school-age daughters are moving to Pittsburgh. We are white. Our daughters are both adopted -- one is Latino and the other is mixed race (half African American). Racial diversity is a priority for us. So is living in an urban, or semi-urban family neighborhood. What are the most diverse neighborhoods in Pittsburgh?

My husband will be making a good salary so we could afford a place like Squirrel Hill. We also may be able to afford private schools and would prioritize that if it meant our daughters could go to a progressive, diverse school. Thanks for any and all thoughts. Also if there are diverse dance classes or other activities for the kids that would be great to know about.
Most East End city neighborhoods would fit your criteria. Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze, etc. I would note that there is very few Latinos in the Pittsburgh area as compared to the rest of the country. We have a sizable Asian population and is much more noticeable than the Latino population. Both are growing rapidly in the city. The suburbs of Pittsburgh are either have a majority of white or African Americans, although the whites outnumber in the suburbs.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,928,590 times
I'm not up on schools and dance classes, but I think the East End neighborhoods of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Regent Square, Point Breeze, or Highland Park would fit the bill. In addition to being some of the nicest areas, they also have the most diverse populations. People come from around the world and around the country to work in the medical centers and universities and tend to congregate in those neighborhoods. Your kids will have access to museums, children's activities, fairs in the parks, and lots of other stuff.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,600,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
The suburbs of Pittsburgh are either have a majority of white or African Americans, although the whites outnumber in the suburbs.
That's not really true. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. The Eastern Suburbs are as diverse as most East Coast cities. I was at the Monroeville Mall Sunday and I swear there were more Indian and Latinos there than Black people.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,352,121 times
Highland Park, Point Brezze & Friendship are areas that first come to mind... Yet alot neighborhoods are fine when it diversity in Allegheny County, though the nice areas of the East End seem the most accepting.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
That's not really true. Maybe 10 years ago, but not now. The Eastern Suburbs are as diverse as most East Coast cities. I was at the Monroeville Mall Sunday and I swear there were more Indian and Latinos there than Black people.
Oh come now. Monroeville may have some diversity and is continuing to diversify, but no eastern suburb has a Latino population above 5%, and the only with a considerable Asian population is Monroeville around 6%. Penn Hills is 97% black or white. Plum is mostly white, with a small black population. Woodland hills (Braddock, Forest Hills, Rankin, etc) is mostly African american and white.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,557,790 times
Squirrel Hill is probably your best bet as a family, although others could work too. Shadyside is nice but the parks are lacking and the business district is less family oriented. Point Breeze is a little less urban than squirrel hill which isnt that urban to begin with. Regent square is worth a look, will likely warrant private schools unless you are in the Pittsburgh portion. A little removed from the rest of the east end,for better or worse. Highland park is a bit more suburban, cheaper, unacceptable public schools, and mostly safe but sketchy in parts.

a racially mixed family wont have any problems in any of the more affluent parts of Pittsburgh, city or suburbs. If its really important to have racial diversity rather than an area that tolerates, or probably more accuarely barely notices diversity (something I dont entirely get but wont judge) you are probably stuck in the city.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,562,757 times
I second the neighborhoods mentioned. I wouldn't rule out the blocks of East Liberty that border either Friendship or Highland Park.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,195,072 times
If you can afford Squirrel Hill, then by all means, its one of the most ethnically diverse areas in the city.

If you want to save a few bucks, Stanton Heights is pretty diverse as well and a bit quieter. And with the money you'd be saving, you could send the children to any number of private schools in the area as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Stick to the East End neighborhoods of the city, specifically those that feed into Taylor Allderdice High School. You get both racial tolerance and a good education there. Expect the diversity to be white/black/Asian, though, because the Hispanic population in Pittsburgh is very small and mostly concentrated in the South Hills neighborhoods.

The South Hills neighborhoods are primarily white and black with a few Hispanics, but they're also much more segregated and much less ambient than the East End neighborhoods, and the quality of education is lower. The neighborhoods that don't have a Hispanic influx are stagnating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh