Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM

248 posts, read 324,834 times

Advertisements

wpipkins, would you mind listing the stores that you ended up having luck with? We're in the middle of the same process, trying to furnish our home with mostly used and mid-century pieces.

So far the Pittsburgh Furniture Company in Lawrenceville is definitely our favorite, the prices are great and the selection cycles pretty quickly. Otherwise we've found some stuff at the Ohio River Antique Mall and online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I'm looking forward to those pictures!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're going to be so disappointed when you start trolling Pittsburgh's Craig's List. There's crap on there compared to other cities. Pittsburghers are so frugal that they mostly sell junk. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but you can luck out and find some great pieces sometimes.
It has been a huge change for us, having moved from DC. I think the median income down there is so high that people just put stuff on Craigslist to get rid of it. You can get some amazing deals on really nice stuff. My brother furnished a decent chunk of his house there using Craigslist. They got a pretty darn nice dining room set with china cabinet for free. When we first moved into our rental house there I found two desks, two oriental rugs, a small kitchen table with stools, and a lateral filing cabinet for under $100 combined.

Freecycle is also crazy down there. Very active and frequently has decent stuff.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
It has been a huge change for us, having moved from DC. I think the median income down there is so high that people just put stuff on Craigslist to get rid of it. You can get some amazing deals on really nice stuff. My brother furnished a decent chunk of his house there using Craigslist. They got a pretty darn nice dining room set with china cabinet for free. When we first moved into our rental house there I found two desks, two oriental rugs, a small kitchen table with stools, and a lateral filing cabinet for under $100 combined.

Freecycle is also crazy down there. Very active and frequently has decent stuff.
It has more to do with Pittsburghers being frugal minded. After the crash of the steel industry, times were tough for many people. I compare it to how people who survived the Great Depression hid money in their walls and saved like crazy. (There are many elderly people who live in run down neighborhoods who have very impressive savings accounts and stocks when they die.) Pittsburghers became more frugal and don't get rid of stuff until it's completely worn out. Add to it that Pittsburghers generally weren't keeping-up-with-the-Jones types anyway, what you get is a crappy Craig's List.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It has more to do with Pittsburghers being frugal minded. After the crash of the steel industry, times were tough for many people. I compare it to how people who survived the Great Depression hid money in their walls and saved like crazy. (There are many elderly people who live in run down neighborhoods who have very impressive savings accounts and stocks when they die.) Pittsburghers became more frugal and don't get rid of stuff until it's completely worn out. Add to it that Pittsburghers generally weren't keeping-up-with-the-Jones types anyway, what you get is a crappy Craig's List.
That describes all of my Pittsburgh relatives and my parents exactly, and a lot of it has rubbed off on me as well (though I grew up outside Philly). Probably why I was so amazed at the stuff that came across the DC Craigslist and Freecycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh