Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 PM

129 posts, read 160,748 times

Advertisements

We're looking to buy a new house in the N. Allegheny school district, but it seems for the same amount of money, you can get a nicer house in its neighboring schools, such as Pine/Richland and Seneca Valley.

How's the Pine/Richland school district, comparing to NA & Seneca?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
All those districts are fine. Just a choice of what you're looking for. N. Allegheny and Seneca Valley are quite large. Pine-Richland is less large.

Also depends upon where you need to get to regularly. Some places are more convenient to downtown Pittsburgh for example than others. If you're not commuting there though, this needn't figure into your choice. If you want to be right near certain shopping, there are some spots you may choose over others.

The places in Butler County are going to have lower property taxes. You might also want to consider homes that are in neighboring Mars Area district, also fine, significantly smaller than NA and Seneca. Hampton also borders Pine-Richland, another good small district.

This is all on rep; I don't have any personal experience with the districts. If it were me, I'd probably consider Mars the most in that vicinity given combo of lower than Allegheny County taxes and smaller than Seneca Valley but still good school district, but that is only based on a theoretical set of priorities I might have and might be dependent upon what houses I found.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky01 View Post
We're looking to buy a new house in the N. Allegheny school district, but it seems for the same amount of money, you can get a nicer house in its neighboring schools, such as Pine/Richland and Seneca Valley.

How's the Pine/Richland school district, comparing to NA & Seneca?

thx
When you say new, do you mean new construction?

If you are looking at that area, I would at least consider Hampton and Mars. Depending on your commute one area may jump out as being the best fit.

Hampton, Pine-Richland and North Allegheny are all top districts. Next would be Mars followed by Seneca Valley.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Excellent educational opportunities/quality tend to be valued much more by the residents of Pine-Richland, Hampton, and North Allegheny School Districts. Educationally, these 3 particular districts are on a much higher tier than either the Seneca Valley or Mars School Districts. People who move to these three Allegheny County School districts tend to value education first, before taxes. Generally, those who move into these two Butler County districts are looking for the cheapest way to support the schools. The expression that you "get what you pay for" is never so evident as what it is now in Butler County. Want proof? Look at how each of these districts are attempting to close state funding cuts.

The last of my 3 children graduates from NA this year. My $6000 annual property taxes provided my kids with a superior education at a bargain price when all factors are considered. Yes, it would have been cheaper tax-wise to live in Mars, or Cranberry, but when it comes to my kids, I believe that quality education is an investment well worth the extra money.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 PM

377 posts, read 651,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post

The last of my 3 children graduates from NA this year. My $6000 annual property taxes provided my kids with a superior education at a bargain price when all factors are considered. Yes, it would have been cheaper tax-wise to live in Mars, or Cranberry, but when it comes to my kids, I believe that quality education is an investment well worth the extra money.
So are you saying that Mars and Seneca Valley do not offer quality education? I am not sure that I buy that.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
So are you saying that Mars and Seneca Valley do not offer quality education? I am not sure that I buy that.
There could be many lines of thoughts on this one. One could be that quality education can be done cheaply. If that be the case, I would have to ask you, why do our most prestigious universities cost more than the local community college? Does that mean that the community college does not offer a quality education? It may sound unfair, but is the graduate of the local community college on the same academic plane as the student completing his/her first two years at Carnegie Mellon? I would think not, although each person at the differing institutions would have the same number of credits. It comes to a standard of excellence. Although not in the truest sense that Mars/Seneca Valley are the community colleges to North Allegheny/Hampton/Pine-Richland the Carnegie Mellons, the standard of educational excellence is significantly lower in two Butler County districts.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
Seems as if at least one of those schools that promotes its standard or educational excellence can't afford to pay its bills.

Pine-Richland school directors vote to cut physical education, increase property tax - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last edited by WhoIsStanwix?; 05-22-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Seems as if at least one of those schools that promotes its standard or educational excellence can't afford to pay its bills.

Pine-Richland school directors vote to cut physical education, increase property tax - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
That's shocking!

Think of all the people who bought houses in Pine-Richland School District for the quality schools. Now they will be living in the one school district that doesn't have proper phys ed program. I wonder how many years it will take for the district's chidlren to be statistically fatter than the other districts. Some people might think this isn't a big deal since their children are active in sports. But it is a big deal and Pine Richland will become a less desirable school district to new homebuyers.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I had no idea Pine Richland has previously eliminated the music program:

PR School Board Votes 5-4 to Restore Music and Other Programs to Proposed Budget - Pine-Richland, PA Patch

This is why physical education was cut----to restore the music program.

This is insane.

Even the average school districts still have full well rounded programs that include the arts, etc., and still have phys ed too!

Why have we all been singing the praises of this district?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
My understanding is P-R really overextended themselves building a new school, maybe the middle school? Smart boards in every room, insanely nice athletic facilities, the whole nine. Then when state funding got cut, it hit them harder than some other schools. This is only hearsay from some local teachers that I know, but I'm sure someone can chime in with additional details.

To me, it's really reflective of the broader problem in America that we are overextended as a population, and always want things we can't afford. If the above story is true, it's really sad that some teachers had to lose their jobs to pay for smart boards that can't be returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh