Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,182 times

Advertisements

Hi, i would like to know what areas in pittsburgh that would be considered good to live in for a middle age
retired veteran and still working. I want to move in there around september, but i need a new apartment to
move to and i need somewhere safe, close to public transportation until i am able to buy a car and i have no
children! 1 bedroom or nice studio would be good for now OR affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,000,011 times
Where will you be working? If you give me an approximate location of where you will be employed, I can list some affordable and safe areas nearby. Generally, I find the inner suburbs to be the cheapest, however some of them are not as well-connected with public transit as others.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,217,224 times
Crafton and Ingram are nice areas, convenient to the West Busway as well walkable to the Crafton Ingram shops. The area is a lot less expensive than points east or the southside, its safe and its pretty laid back.

Busway trips can take you out to the mall as well as to town, airport, Carnegie and the Chartiers Valley areas.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,339,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Crafton and Ingram are nice areas, convenient to the West Busway as well walkable to the Crafton Ingram shops. The area is a lot less expensive than points east or the southside, its safe and its pretty laid back.

Busway trips can take you out to the mall as well as to town, airport, Carnegie and the Chartiers Valley areas.
I have to agree with this. The rent in those areas tends to be cheap, with safety and convenience. Another area to look in would be the Edgewood Swissvale area (rent tends to be cheaper there and it is right along the east busway)

Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,361,632 times
There is a part of Shadyside that is so affordable that it's considered low income! It's filled with renters of all stages of life & ethnicities (mostly college aged Arabs, Asians & Indians though).
-Also Central Oakland (excluding Schenley Farms), *South Oakland (only the area west of Bates Street),
Bloomfield, Larwanceville, Morningside, DownTown, *even parts of the Southside Slopes approaching the hilltop hoods and the *southern part of Highland Park are good areas to find a safe, but affordable residence.
-There are tons of cheap duplexes in safe working class to middle-class areas like West View, Reserve Township, *West Dutchtown, *the Mexican War Streets, Greenfield, Staton Heights, *Mt. Washington, Duquesne Heights, Beechview, Brookline, Brentwood and many apartment complexes in highend areas like *the side of Swissvale PA west of the busway, Squirrel Hill & Point Brezze as well.
-Some safe & affordable neighborhoods include Sharpsburg, Etna, Millvale, Bon Air, *Elliot, *the Upper Spring Garden Valley, Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Elspen, *Garfield south of Dearborn Street, *most of East Liberty south of the boulevard and the *Uptown-Soho section of the Bluff

All of the above are neighborhoods or sections of neighborhoods that have public transportation buses/subways and have or are near to business streets/local shopping plazas...
Note: *neighborhood = either if an area has tolerable crime issues or if the area is a safe part of a rough/iffy neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh