Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 PM

45 posts, read 129,777 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. We are moving to the Pittsburgh area. One of our children has been i.d.'d as gifted and talented. He will be entering 3rd grade. Can you please give recommendations on where we would fit in as a family?

The most important thing is finding a school where my son can thrive. He is very bright and needs to be challenged, but in a nurturing environment.

We are kind of artsy, laid back, into gardening and the great outdoors. I can't stand money snobbery although we can afford a house upwards of 350 K - I do like to have a comfortable home but not where I'd have to worry too hard about keeping up with the Joneses. So a neighborhood that is a bit eclectic but not cookiecutter (I mean the people as well as the homes if you know what I mean.) I would love a home on a larger parcel of land where we could keep a few small animals (I'm thinking a few rabbits and chickens). Are there any pesky HOAs that I need to worry about in that regard?

I am moving to PA from the southern U.S. (originally from Canada - yay, we'll be able to play in the snow again!) and I cannot stand the neighborhood we are in now and don't want to repeat it again - everyone is very into appearances - everything from their perfect lawns, to their cars, homes, makeup, hair, etc, etc. I don't want that! Although I will put up with just about anything if we can find a great school for my son.

Okay, I've sent out the challenge. Are there any neighborhoods y'all can recommend? Thanks in advance! I've read a lot of posts already and I am very grateful to everyone who chimes in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You've got a tough order to fill. "Artsy, laid back, gardening, and great outdoors" immediately puts you in city neighborhoods where there aren't many houses in your price range with a large yard, and you most definitely would not be able to keep small farm animals in the city. Top affluent districts are mostly filled with cookie cutter Jones if you buy a cookie cutter house, but most school districts have a population that spans income brackets.

But I'm thinking that Indiana Township in Fox Chapel School District might have what you're looking for. There are properties out there that are very large and secluded. Fox Chapel itself is a very affluent area, but Indiana Township has a very eclectic income range and lots of small farms. The farther you go out away from the city, the more rural it is.

Hampton is also a very desirable school district with some rural areas and farms tucked away.

Then there are some mid-range districts that have a wide range of residents with a very laid back mentalities who are not judgemental.

Shaler comes to mind. It's not rural but there are rural areas, such a Reserve Township, where you might find an old house with decent sized property or a small farm. The schools aren't outstanding for the area, but might be better than what you have down South, and all districts here have gifted programs. If your child is truly excpetional, any larger district will do whatever it takes to challenge your child, even if it means transporting him to another building for upper classes for a part of his day.

The following districts are about as rural as you can get in Allegheny County, but the schools are much smaller. I can't speak for how a smaller school district in a less affluent area would meet the needs of a gifted student. My quick analysis wasn't very promising, but you'll have to research more indepth.

Deer Lakes School District, Allegheny Valley School District (Harmar Township), and Highlands School District (Fawn and Harrison townships.)

If you can afford private schools, you might want to consider a montessori school. There's one in Allison Park and one in Gibsonia. They would be convenient to homes in Shaler, Hampton West Deer, and Indiana.

Also not mentioned is Pine Richland (which does have snobby neighborhoods but there are also very rural areas too. I'm mentioning it last because it's on my s#$% list right now for cutting arts programs and the physical education programs due to overextending themselves when building an outrageous sports stadium. But there are many rural ares in this district that are not far from a montessori school.

There are many other rural areas in Allegheny County. My indepth knowledge is mostly of the eastern areas north of the Allegheny and Ohio rivers. Others will share likely their ideas on rural areas in other parts of the county.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
You may find this resource useful:
Pennsylvania Association of Gifted Education pa students

I don't have any recent experience with area schools but one of the top rated school districts: Upper Saint Clair has an IB program from the elementary years on. My son (also gifted) went through IB and we found it very good and full of other gifted kids. It focuses more on projects and thinking skills rather than rote learning.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 AM

Here just quick examples. (It seems a few are outdated and have wallpaper LOL.)

This house really needs to be updated, but it's 299k, has 6 acres, and is in Hampton Township. Since it's a desirable school district, you'll see the house is not as nice for the money as in West Deer. (I can't find any in Indiana Township homes with lots of acreages at this time. It's another desirable district so the properties will be limited too.)

Hampton Real Estate - 2560 Sample Road, Hampton, PA, 15101

Now onto West Deer.

This one is interesting. 310k, 3 acres, West Deer. It's actually beautiful. It seems to have an outbuilding, like a barn, too. I can envision artsy people moving into this house!

11 Leywood Drive, West Deer, Pennsylvania 15044 (MLS# 883020) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Here is another that is 264k, has 3.5 acres, and is in West Deer Township. If you can get past the wallpaper, there are good bones in this house.

West Deer Real Estate - 58 Shuster Road, West Deer, PA, 15044

289k, 5 acres, West Deer. 6 Simon Road, West Deer, Pennsylvania 15024 (MLS# 900674) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Here is a log house on 10 acres in West Deer for 230k. It looks like some of the land is already fenced in for animals, can't be sure though.

49 Roselle Lane, West Deer, Pennsylvania 15024 (MLS# 888423) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Last edited by Hopes; 05-24-2012 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
I'm not too familiar with Deer Lakes School District, but it's not the first place I think of when I hear "talented and gifted" children.

My advice...find the school district and then find the house. Check out these school districts: Quaker Valley, Pine-Richland, North Allegheny, Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, Hampton, Fox Chapel, South Fayette, Peters Township. There are others that might fit the bill that aren't ranked as highly as these, but I'd try these schools first.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Mt. Lebanon

Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 AM

49 posts, read 80,905 times
We have a child in the GATE program and we're moving from Deer Lakes to Indiana Twp. Indiana Twp is in the Fox Chapel School district.

The gate program at Deer Lakes is decent, much better than Highlands, but Fox Chapel is even better than Deer Lakes, hence the move.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 AM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
I've heard Quaker Valley is really outstanding for gifted students.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 AM

716 posts, read 765,061 times
Definitely Mt. Lebanon. Excellent schools, wonderful gifted program at all levels, (the schools themselves have a wonderful fine arts program as well), non-cookie cutter eclectic housing stock with a true neighborhood feel that you can't find in the area's other good school districts in the North Hills or Upper St. Clair.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
I'm not too familiar with Deer Lakes School District, but it's not the first place I think of when I hear "talented and gifted" children.
I readily admitted that. But the OP's lifestyle preference is important. If she can send her child to a private school, she can have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
My advice...find the school district and then find the house. Check out these school districts: Quaker Valley, Pine-Richland, North Allegheny, Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebanon, Hampton, Fox Chapel, South Fayette, Peters Township.
It's more difficult to find a house with a few acres of land for her budget in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh