Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times

Advertisements

Hopes,

I'm from Pittsburgh but live in California where we have the best original Mexican comfort food you can imagine. It is usually sold from a taco truck. Get yourself a taco truck and find a place to park it or make it available for special venues. Street food it KOOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
street food is awesome but pgh has really restrictive rules about it that make a vibrant food truck scene pretty much impossible. i believe all the food has to be prepared in a brick and mortar kitchen and just served from the truck, which sort of defeats the purpose of starting a food truck instead of a restaurant. there may be some other weird rules too. it is a real shame.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Why are there no street vendors downtown? Long ago and faraway, there used to be such vendors in various places - Fifth Ave, Market Square....

You have the Thursday market, but it's not the same as the guys with the push carts.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM

TheYo,
Sorry!!

I would suggest you open a taco truck.

I'm from Pittsburgh but now live in California. Taco trucks have the best Mexican comfort food.
Imagine a fleet of taco trucks parked in strategic locations or at popular venues.

If you know how to make tortillas, carne asada, carnitas, and salsa then you have it made.

I've often thought of going back to the Burgh and opening a tortilla factory. But to stay on topic, taco trucks and street food are KOOL.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Other than the Strip District, does Pittsburgh have anything like a big open market or flea market?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM

222 posts, read 439,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
TheYo,
Sorry!!

I would suggest you open a taco truck.

I'm from Pittsburgh but now live in California. Taco trucks have the best Mexican comfort food.
Imagine a fleet of taco trucks parked in strategic locations or at popular venues.

If you know how to make tortillas, carne asada, carnitas, and salsa then you have it made.

I've often thought of going back to the Burgh and opening a tortilla factory. But to stay on topic, taco trucks and street food are KOOL.
There's a guy from Pittsburgh that is in the process of opening up a taco truck stand.

PghFoodTruck » Tacos for 'burghers, coming soon!

https://www.facebook.com/pghtacotruck

Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM

A city the size of Pittsburgh would support more than one taco truck. It all depends on the quality of food. Think of it like Burgh Pizza. The best taco truck wins. HAHAHAHA !!!

Taco trucks are great start-up business for someone who knows what they are doing. The truck could turn into a vertical intergration into a local restaurant chain. There are numerous possibilities available for a young agresive person.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
A city the size of Pittsburgh would support more than one taco truck. It all depends on the quality of food. Think of it like Burgh Pizza. The best taco truck wins. HAHAHAHA !!!

Taco trucks are great start-up business for someone who knows what they are doing. The truck could turn into a vertical intergration into a local restaurant chain. There are numerous possibilities available for a young agresive person.
The city has some extremely restrictive rules & licensing (and high cost) which discourages many from starting food truck businesses. I don't know the why behind this but wouldn't be suprised it if wasn't at least in part by lobbying on behalf of restuarants.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:04 PM

441 posts, read 766,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Other than the Strip District, does Pittsburgh have anything like a big open market or flea market?
Trader Jack's flea market in Bridgeville.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:11 PM

441 posts, read 766,341 times
I'd also like to add that I'd love to see more food trucks, but understand that the local laws aren't very friendly towards them. It's a damn shame, too, considering how walkable the city is and that there is noticeable demand for cheap, quick food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh