Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,317 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been working/living in Cranberry Twp for close to a year now and am looking for some advice on neighborhoods. As convenient as it is to live 4 miles from work and have really nice housing/utilities (compared to areas I used to live like Oakland), I've been looking at moving closer to the city since I usually drive down there 3-4 times a week to see friends, etc. I'm mainly looking for somewhere that has easy access to I-79/279 for getting to Cranberry and to the city, and I'd also prefer somewhere that is safe, quiet, and walkable, with at least a few small restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and bars near by. Parks and historic architecture would be nice but not required. I'm looking to spend ~ $700-800 per month on a 1 BR/2 BR apartment, depending on what's available (upper limit is $1000 per month).

I've explored a couple areas so far and here are my thoughts:

Sewickley - this is pretty much my ideal setting as far as being walkable, charming, and having shops/cafes nearby, but it might be too far from Pittsburgh for me (I think it would be about the same amount of time to get from Cranberry to Pittsburgh). If there were a village like this located right off of I-279, I would move there. Rental housing also seems difficult to get and expensive (outside of the Courtyards at Sewickley, which I haven't heard good things about).

Bellevue - I haven't gotten much of a chance to do much but drive though, but it seems like a nice enough area. The best part is the easy access to I-279. This area also seems to have quite a bit more housing and most of it is within my price range. I also calculated that the difference in my commute time would be negligible (it currently takes me on average 15 minutes to get to work).

West View - similar to Bellevue, with the advantage of being closer to Route 19 if I need an alternate route to Cranberry.

Ross Twp - I'd consider anywhere but near McKnight Rd.

North Side (Mexican War Streets) - I'm really impressed by this neighborhood and park nearby, plus I can take public transportation anywhere if I don't feel like driving. This is probably the upper limit of how far I'd be willing to commute to work. I am concerned with some of the surrounding neighborhoods and possible crime spillover from them. Parking looks a bit more difficult, and the local income tax is 3% instead of 1% (which isn't too big of a deal given the convenience of living close to the city).

Right now I'm leaning towards Bellevue/West View, but I'd have to do more research and get more opinions. Does anyone have any advice on these neighborhoods or other neighborhoods nearby?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Sewickley is only 13 miles from Pittsburgh, Cranberry is 23. And 65 is a highway and has much less traffic than 279 especially during rush hours.

You can get to the city much faster from Sewickley, plus the extra bonus of the airport being close by.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Westview or Ross (particularly the older part near westview) are great for what you want. Try to avoid having to travel much on McKnight to get to 279 if possible.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Oakmont is 12 miles to downtown and faster yet via Rt. 28. The turnpike is maybe 3 miles and gets you to Warrendale exit in 20+/- minutes. It has all of what you are looking for and rent is reasonable.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Green Tree. It is very quick to get into the city, and wouldn't be a terrible commute up 79 to cranberry either. Plus, there are plenty of affordable apts there and settlers cabin park is pretty close. Lots of shopping in the Robinson area too.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer508 View Post
North Side (Mexican War Streets) - I'm really impressed by this neighborhood and park nearby, plus I can take public transportation anywhere if I don't feel like driving. This is probably the upper limit of how far I'd be willing to commute to work. I am concerned with some of the surrounding neighborhoods and possible crime spillover from them. Parking looks a bit more difficult, and the local income tax is 3% instead of 1% (which isn't too big of a deal given the convenience of living close to the city).

Thanks!
This was going to be my recommendation to you. I work in the Warrendale/Cranberry area and you can see where I live, but we are totally in love with the War Streets area. We live for visiting the park and the Aviary (although sad to see Kayak Pittsburgh won't be renting boats in Lake Elizabeth this year), Monterrey Pub is one of my favorite in the city, you could walk to PNC Park and there's easy access to the North Side trail along with all the bus service you could want.

There is a very attentive crime watch organization in the area, and a very strong sense of neighborhood in the immediate War Streets area. We've talked with a number of realators and attended a few parties to see this for ourselves. The only thing is, I'm not sure if you would find something in your budget.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 21,398 times
We also looked in the Bellevue/West View area before choosing Brighton Heights, which is another neighborhood you might want to consider. Excellent access to downtown and 279, not as trendy as the War Streets, but less gritty too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh