Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 PM

47 posts, read 75,143 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house in greenfield. I really enjoy the area. Steelcity nailed it (the real poster). I'm a big fan of the surrounding neighborhoods like shadyside, squirrel hill, and regent square too , and I did look at them first , but with half your budget (more like 150k) I couldn't find anything suitable or up to date. For around 150k I got a pretty sweet house in greenfield that is really up to date. The most negative thing is on street parking which surprisingly isn't too much of a hassle yet (although I do dread my first winter). Also, I am noticing more younger professionals. Ive met a couple people day to day, I'm young (20's) and the person I bought it off of was a young med student. It's a good mix of value, quiet, and proximity to other fun neighborhoods.

As far as not being able to find houses.... Well for me, looking for houses in the east end was pretty stressful. If they are priced right, and in good condition they can go quick (some houses were being snatched up the first week or so) and there were a lot of bidding wars, even in greenfield believe it or not. While I'm always happy to encourage people to move into my new area (and if you really find something good jump on it) with your budget you should expand your search. You should definitely look at some of the other east neighborhoods like point breeze or regent square. I could imagine you could get a nice house in regent square with a detached 2 car garage for 250K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,071,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Gene,

I wonder if Houghs serves Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Houghs is owned by a friend's family, and my friend runs the microbrewery attached to it - Copper Kettle. Their beer menu is awesome, and their microbrews are great as well.

During the Craft Beer Week they were easily my favorite with regards to their events, etc.

Wing night ain't half bad either.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
dtrtggr13,

Hough's definitely sounds like a place of interest and value. Good to know..thanks for the info!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,020 times
Default Greenfield real estate

I have been looking for a house for my sister (in California) to buy here in Pittsburgh. Right now, in most of the East End neighborhoods, reasonably priced houses are flying off the shelf. The last time I looked at Greenfield listings (Howard Hanna website), nine out of the ten "most expensive" (going up to $180k, which is expensive for Greenfield) were listed as "contingent" (under contract).

Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Greenfiled has attracted a lot of attention in the last few years, and I know several people who have bought and love the area. Another East End neighborhood similar to Greenfield you may want to consider is Morningside - almost all residential, very quiet, leafy 1920s-style neighborhood with porches and yards. I think a lot of them may have driveways and garages or garages off the service alley behind the houses.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe you might want to look at the new housing development off of Browns Hill Rd, along the parkway built on an old slag heap. Homes look nice from the parkway, its all new construction so they are probably pretty efficient on the utilities and may have property tax abatement.

Make a left toward the Jewish Home right before you get to the High Level Bridge.
I believe this poster is referring to Summerset at Frick Park in case you wanted to look sooner than your visit.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
If you want to spend no less than $200K and want good proximity to Greenfield, you might look at something very close to Minadeo school. There are plenty of houses south of Forward Ave. in Squirrel Hill in your price range, and then it's just a skip down Lilac to get into Greenfield.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Here's the dilemma. I'm looking for a home that has 3 bdrms, 2 baths, and can comfortably accommodate two preferably three cars.
Three cars. That's your problem.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Three cars. That's your problem.
Yeah. No offense, but as a retiree, why do you have three cars? Even assuming a spouse I couldn't see the need for more than two. Is one a seldom-driven classic car or something?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
eschaton,

I know... I know... I don't need 3 cars. But, one is a daily commuter, drive around town, energy efficient car. Vehicle 2 was been totally rebuilt and has sentimental value. It's an old guy's kind of truck. Vehicle 3 is nice !!! You know, the one that goes on trips. So there you have it. They are in excellent condition and paid for. I guess it's kind of a guy thing. eschaton I hope you now understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh