Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,960,727 times

Advertisements

Being an avid fisherman and considering a move back to Pittsburgh, I was wondering how the fishing is within an hour drive of the city. I prefer fishing for bass and trout. Please feel free to rate local rivers, lakes and streams. Your thoughts about the local fishing are greatly appreciated.

BTW...I was back visiting Pittsburgh for the Bass Master Classic a few years ago. I checked with the fishermen coming in at the Southside boat ramp and they told me the fish had been washed down the Ohio during that year's flood. If my memory serves me correctly, the pros were having a difficult time locating fish for the event. Another thought is the questionable water from the Marcellus shale operations. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times
Fishing around Pittsburgh isn't very good. You need to go out of the area. Too many people fish around here and the Game Commission doesn't do a very good job. We have a trout season which has an opening day. That is the first mistake in our state because people fish elbow to elbow on the opening day like some tradition. Shame, but it gets hit really hard. If you go north for fishing, it doesn't get much better. East of the city is your best bet, but I don't know the best spots these days. Oh and to have a license is very expensive and the rip off trout stamp they require if you are fishing trout streams. WV is WAY better for fishing. Go to the Cranberry and really catch fish.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 PM

h_curtis,

Thanks for your thoughts. BTW.. How much is a license and trout stamp?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
h_curtis,

Thanks for your thoughts. BTW.. How much is a license and trout stamp?
I think it is better to roll the dice on getting caught, but here is the page. Very expensive, but you would except nothing less around here.

http://fishandboat.com/licapp_fill.pdf

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM

h_curtis,

Pa. license is less than half of what it is in Ca. I paid $56.00 this year to get a Ca. license. That's what I call expensive. It goes up from there if you get an ocean stamp and steelhead stamp. I guess fishing is no longer a po-folks sport.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
h_curtis,

Pa. license is less than half of what it is in Ca. I paid $56.00 this year to get a Ca. license. That's what I call expensive. It goes up from there if you get an ocean stamp and steelhead stamp. I guess fishing is no longer a po-folks sport.
No it became a money maker for state employees. They work for the state and I use the word "work" in a very liberal sense, because lets face it they really don't work. Therefore, the expense is huge and the reward is tiny. West Virginia is a much better state for fishing.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,938,992 times
'Fishing license is relatively cheap, so I disagree with that point.
But I agree that fishing is spotty- you have to hunt for good places. There are some ponds on the gamelands west of the city that are decent. The Allegheny can be good if you know where/how. Same with the Mon and Ohio, so I'm told. There are stocked trout in the creeks here and there but for good trout fishing you have to travel. WVA and Western Md have better opportunities for stream bred trout, as does NW PA.
I find it unlikely that fish would actually get "washed " out of the Allegheny. Most likely they were just hunkered down.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 PM

57 posts, read 109,778 times
Are you looking for river fishing, lake fishing, or stream fishing?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM

531 posts, read 498,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Too many people fish around here and the Game Commission doesn't do a very good job.
The Pa. Game Commission has jurisdiction over game mammals. The Pa. Fish and Boat Commission has jurisdiction over fish and aquatic species. They are different entities.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM

jjs65,

Presently I'm fortunate to live close to river, lake, and stream fishing. I fish for trout in the Merced River as it flows out of Yosemite National Park. I also fish for trout in streams located in the Sierra National Forest. I fish for bass in lakes that are fed by rivers that flow out of the Sierras. All of these waters are easily within an hour drive.

When I lived in Pittsburgh I would fish for trout in Big Nashanick (sp) Creek in Volant and small mouth bass on the upper Allegheny near Oil City. I also tried fishing Raccoon Creek but was never very lucky there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh