Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM

144 posts, read 224,568 times

Advertisements

Areas such as Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills seem to get too much attention for the wrong reasons, namely crime. We can argue all day about how much their bad reps are deserved considering their quite huge areas. I know for a fact that Penn Hills is not a complete hellhole, as I live in Plum next to a more rural section bordering Penn Hills/Oakmont/New Kensington. Unfortunately, it is true that a lot of crime followed people to Penn Hills who were escaping from Wilkinsburg who were escaping from Homewood who got pushed out of the Lower Hill.

Which makes me wonder, is this game of hopscotch away from criminal elements sustianable? Plum is next to Penn Hills, and I know a lot of Penn Hills expats who live here. All of them are good people, but what's to prevent Plum from having the same problems Penn Hills started having 20 years ago? I've heard one neighbor in Plum say that this will be the next place to go south, and that he would almost rather be in Murraysville. If Plum does rot (no pun intended, lol) couldn't Murraysville then be on the chopping block? We can't keep doing this retreat further out into the fringe because soon enough the Pittsburgh metro would gobble up Johnstown the way New York City is invading Eastern PA! Besides, the idea of perpetually increasing commutes sucks! Pittsburghers would absolutely not accept a 90 minute or 2 hour commute. That's some New York City bull$#@! right there.

I used Plum as an example, but my post involves more than Plum. I'm interested in knowing if there are cautionary tales we can learn from Wilkinsburg and Penn Hills. Why did they have a downfall? How can places (for example, Plum) who are near proximity to struggling areas serve as "refugee camps" for those struggling areas without getting embroiled in the bad stuff that the refugees were running away from? And most importantly, what do you think it will take for Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills, and other places (Homewood maybe?) to have a revival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM

598 posts, read 748,153 times
Monroeville will fall before Plum does, it has already started. Plum has a better chance at surviving longer because it's a more rural area. Also, Penn Hills hasn't absorbed all the bad element from the city and Wilkinsburg quite yet. Penn Hills is huge and will be able to absorb a lot more before Plum will be affected in any serious way.

What I would like to know is why do people keep moving east instead of trying other directions?
I moved north from Penn Hills and I don't really see any deterioration coming from any directions any time soon.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post

What I would like to know is why do people keep moving east instead of trying other directions?
I moved north from Penn Hills and I don't really see any deterioration coming from any directions any time soon.
That's a great point! If you're moving, your options aren't constrained to one direction. I'd be interested in asking people what makes people want to move further out in the same direction instead of moving in a new one.

I personally would take driving 279 over 376, if I had to commute from a suburb into town. Then again, I like the idea of having access to the T, although I'm getting off topic there... It seems like the north is doing quite well these days. Maybe they'll be able to avert some of the problems that the east has.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Obviously only some people are moving east, and it may be related to jobs, family, or so on.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:31 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Hope not, that would be a plum shame.

(Sorry couldn't resist...)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I'd tell Caladium to lay off the puns, but from prior experience I know that would be fruitless.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'd tell Caladium to lay off the puns, but from prior experience I know that would be fruitless.
If it's fruitless for him to lay off the puns about Plum, tell him to take a bite out of Cranberry, while I fruitlessly sit here like a vegetable.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Plum has it's own school district that may be attractive to a lot of people. But in about 5 years they have to cough up mega-millions to the retirement fund, taxes will sky rocket. Should be interesting.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Well you know how it is, you start hanging out on the forums too much and you go a little bananas...

Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM

I fear I have planted a seed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh