Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
well its not Long island.
Yes, and thank goodness. Even natives I know call it the unfriendliest place on Earth (not to say there aren't friendly people or good aspects, but Pittsburgh has offered more good experiences in six months than Long Island did in three years).

I think the best response to "But...it's Pittsburgh!" is "Exactly!".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Just wait until you get here. Then the questions will start all over again from the locals... "ewww, why did you move HERE?"
Lol..I still get that. When dh retired from the military we could have moved nearly anywhere. I took Pittsburgh over everywhere. Although dh was originally from here I was the one who suggested it. We got all kinds of negative responses. I thought I would like it here but I never knew I would love it or that we would succeed as well as we have.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I've been looking to move out of the country and I've heard so many times "why would you want to leave the US?"

Some people just don't get the fact that a massive change of scenery can be good for people.
We plan to retire in a third world country. Nobody understands that either.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:35 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We plan to retire in a third world country. Nobody understands that either.
My fiances parents are doing the same thing and I hope to do the same once I reach retirement age. Which one are you thinking of? Panama has recently made it easier to obtain residency....

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Oh we still get why did we come to the USA. ; after 26 years here!!

We are open to traveling anywhere and everywhere. It is such a great education and we love it. We havent told many, but we are going on a cruise later and will visit Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Amsterdam. It is great for the kids to see life outside the states.

But we do love the states ; just not Long Island anymore.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM

254 posts, read 591,427 times
To alot of people in the Philly area, Pittsurgh is 'out West somewhere'. While thery don't necessarily loathe Pittsburgh, it's just so outside the East Coast world, they're not really sure about it.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
We havent told many, but we are going on a cruise later and will visit Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Amsterdam.
That sounds like an awesome cruise! I'm currently planning a vacation. I haven't been able to decide where. The Netherlands is on my list because I lived in Holland as a child. My son wants to do Amsterdam and Switzerland, but for all the reasons a young adult wants to do Amsterdam and Switzerland. My list is long so it's likely we'll end up somewhere else entirely.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM

110 posts, read 152,898 times
I say enjoy Pittsburgh, its the best. I lived at the Beach for 15 years and I'm really glad to be back. I love the new growth of the city but I like the fact we are a well kept secret.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:58 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
But over time, I have come to think it is also a bit of defensiveness. People out East are killing themselves working long hours and barely making ends meet in order to live in not-so-great homes. There is a nagging feeling that if you played by the rules, things were supposed to be better than that (and in fact they were better than that within living memory).
Right. The media and our culture sells the West Coast, East Coast, and Chicago (and maybe Florida or Austin) lifestyle to our young people. They're told this is where it is fashionable to live, this is where young people live, this is where people have fun, this is where the beaches are, yada yada yada. It's on every TV show and on every song on the radio. That doesn't leave room for other cities that are not within those zones, such as Pittsburgh, Omaha, Akron, Indianapolis, Buffalo, etc., etc. These are considered "boring" cities, and my experience living in Michigan, having several friends in Ohio, and now Pittsburgh tells me that many of the young people are basically dying to move somewhere else. That is not to say everyone is, just that the common philosophy seems to be that life is better in New York, California, or Chicago, and that those are the only places worth living.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
We havent told many, but we are going on a cruise later and will visit Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia and Amsterdam. It is great for the kids to see life outside the states.
We did a Baltic Sea cruise like that once--it was a lot of fun. Tallinn is still one of my favorite places we have visited in our European travels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh