Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,501 times

Advertisements

Heya all!

Long time lurker and first time poster.

Long story short the fiance and I have been going out way more, usually we are video gamers who just sort of stay in. Pittsburgh entertainment scene isn't really our thing (don't drink, don't care for sports, can only go to museums so many times, not into the coffee shop scene etc) no disrespect meant for sure! However, recently we've been going out and are in search of stuff to do in the evenings.

We have taken a liking to walking and browsing the cute outdoor shopping/parkish type stuff. We did waterfront, and the new stuff down in southside. when we want to go out for more than walking we will usually go to places like Dave and Busters, Funeforeall up in cranberry, Harmarville funfest, Tropical Fun Zone, wildwood highlands or other places that offer mini golf or an arcade.

My question especially is then, are there any more places similar to waterfront that make for a nice and well-kept outdoor walk/shop experience. I'm not into stuff like shadyside or the first half of southside, where its just a bunch of shops on the street (cool shops but still)? We are planning to do the grove city outlet things when we have a chance in the next week or so, but looking for any other setups like these. it's more for the walking and looking at design and stuff, but the shopping is nice too, we like feeling a bit more suburban-y than just walking around south/north park. any rec's on the other kind of venues we hit are also welcome.

I hope this made sense, just trying to round up some ideas for evening activities that we may have missed. Don't mind driving a bit to get there as well, as long as it can be done in the after work kind of timeframe.

thanks in advance, i know a lot of you on here are die hard long term Pittsburghers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM

55 posts, read 93,807 times
"Long time lurker and first time poster."

Sounds like me about a week ago.

Have you been to the North Shore? They don't have the shopping and other venues like the Waterfront, but it's a beautiful area with some nice little restaurants. And I know you said you aren't big on the South Side, but have you looked into Station Square? I haven't been there in a while but there are some similarities to the Waterfront.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I would also recommend Station Square based on what you told us. You might also check out the North Shore Riverfront Park.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM

i used to hit up station square when they had their dance dance revolution machine down there, at least 1 - 2 times a week. Trying to find something a bit more open air as it's been this last little span of nice weather that got us out the door more instead of just going up to harmar or funforeall to play video games or bowl.

Southside is where i spent a lot of my high school years back in the early 2ks, it was fine for back then, and still pretty cool every once in a while, but a lot of the shops are gone and it's a lot of bargoers.

might check out north shore, i know i'm getting way specific in what i'm looking for >< .

thanks for the help, keep em coming, i'm an IT manager so i have plenty of time to refresh forums and reply this afternoon lol.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:03 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
i heard that in Fox Chapel they have outdoor concerts at night in the summer. Dont know anything else but that sounds like fun.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:04 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Well there's not a whole lot there now & would only take you 5-10mins to walk through the whole thing, the bakery square development is at least in the same vain as the others you have described, it is just in its infancy at the moment though.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM

yep looked into bakery square, looks pretty cool. not sure if i'll still be in there area by the time it matures but definitely will hit it when i visit.

thanks for the suggestions, been having a fun few weeks, we did the zoo and aviary before the outdoor shopping, sadly some of the stuff obviously i can't jump in the car after work to go visit so recently we shifted to evening appropriate things lol

Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Smaller than The Waterfront and South Side Works, but newer than both, try Settler's Ridge in Robinson. You said Grove City Outlets...there are also Tanger Outlets in Washington County.

You'd probably really love Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio if you're up for a road trip.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Smaller than The Waterfront and South Side Works, but newer than both, try Settler's Ridge in Robinson. You said Grove City Outlets...there are also Tanger Outlets in Washington County.

You'd probably really love Easton Town Center in Columbus, Ohio if you're up for a road trip.
Tanger is nice; it's my favorite "artificial" shopping district around here because the shopping area itself is pedestrian-only. Easton sounds perfect for them if they are up for the road trip. I really can't understand liking the Waterfront but not liking something like Walnut Street. The Waterfront is basically trying to emulate places like Walnut Street. But to each their own!

I wonder if OP would like Market Square? Downtown could make a good place for dinner and a show, or dinner and a ball game.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
I second the recommendation for Market Square. Not as many options as the Waterfront, but it's a reason to ventue into town.

I also second the preference for Tangers in Washington, PA. I like it a lot better than Grove City: more compact, a little closer, and feels more like a proper arcade than the sprawling Grove City Outlets.

Also, and this isn't related to shopping or people watching, but starting next week they'll be showing movies in the city's parks outdoors on weekday and Saturday evenings: Cinema in the Park (412) 422-6426
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh