Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM

295 posts, read 658,948 times

Advertisements

Megabus has two routes from DC to Pittsburgh, one through Frederick, MD, the other through Morgantown. So, last time I went to Pittsburgh I thought, oh, here's a chance to see downtown Morgantown since I've never been there. Well, the Morgantown stop is in the outskirts so all I got was a longer trip to Pittsburgh, even though I can say at least I saw a bit of Morgantown. I should know that the purpose of Megabus is to get from point A to B, not to sightsee. But the DC-Pittsburgh trip is actually quite scenic, far more so than the I-95 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,889,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Megabus from Pittsburgh to NYC cannot be beat...it's cheap and it's almost an 8 hour overnight trip exactly. You go drink a couple strong ales at Sharp Edge, get on the Megabus...wake up 8 hours later and you're in Manhattan.
I don't like Megabus's long slog across 80 and down to State College and then the traffic light lined rt22....

I like Greyhound Express's 11pm - 6am Red Eye from NYC to the Burgh, you save a whole hr over Megabus's route since GE takes the fastest route (78-81 and connect with the Turnpike @ Carlisle)...You couldn't do any faster in a car.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Megabus from Pittsburgh to NYC cannot be beat...it's cheap and it's almost an 8 hour overnight trip exactly. You go drink a couple strong ales at Sharp Edge, get on the Megabus...wake up 8 hours later and you're in Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I don't like Megabus's long slog across 80 and down to State College and then the traffic light lined rt22....

I like Greyhound Express's 11pm - 6am Red Eye from NYC to the Burgh, you save a whole hr over Megabus's route since GE takes the fastest route (78-81 and connect with the Turnpike @ Carlisle)...You couldn't do any faster in a car.
Or cheaper for that matter...I've done the math on how much it costs in gas to drive from my street to NYC. I can see why some would prefer the Greyhound Express route but I actually like the Megabus's later leave time and later arrival time in NYC. It's nice to have options at least though I'll say that much. I'm just bummed there isn't a better Megabus route to Toronto from Pittsburgh...I guess there used to be but they changed it or something.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 23,478 times
Yes, I too miss the Pittsburgh-Erie-Buffalo-Toronto route. It ran from May 11, 2011 until March 13, 2012. Sometime in early 2012 Megabus changed the departure and arrival times, without posting a notice on their website or sending notification alert emails, causing me to miss my bus by 5+ hours (only one daily departure) and ruining my plans for the Family Day long weekend.

It was a really great service and I wish it lasted longer than 10 months. I used it twice; once in May 2011 and once again in October 2011. It was the only low cost, express bus service, making the trip in 6.5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh