Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The appraiser isn't scheduled to come until the end of July.

It won't be a guessing game for long. We're putting it on the market next year.

Save your money, if you're selling next year, the assessment won't affect you. This thing will drag out for at least another year. But, to be sure, you're county taxes will go up this year thanks to Mr. Fitzgerald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Has anyone even received a response to their informal review? I haven't, and mine was held very early.

I called the OPA last week to see what in the world was taking so long, and they said they could tell me only that it is in the "final stage" of the process, and that I should be getting a letter soon. They also said there was no estimable TAT for the remainder of the process and were unable to give me any information on the results over the phone.

Basically, this just means I'm stuck with an absurdly inflated mortgage payment for the time being. It's quite obnoxious. I mean, if the assessed value was even close, it would be one thing, but this is like a three-year-old just made up a number and now I'm paying into my escrow according to it. Ugh.

I'm very much looking forward to this being over.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Has anyone even received a response to their informal review? I haven't, and mine was held very early.

I called the OPA last week to see what in the world was taking so long, and they said they could tell me only that it is in the "final stage" of the process, and that I should be getting a letter soon. They also said there was no estimable TAT for the remainder of the process and were unable to give me any information on the results over the phone.

Basically, this just means I'm stuck with an absurdly inflated mortgage payment for the time being. It's quite obnoxious. I mean, if the assessed value was even close, it would be one thing, but this is like a three-year-old just made up a number and now I'm paying into my escrow according to it. Ugh.

I'm very much looking forward to this being over.

Your taxes are the same this year as last year. The new assessments have not gone into effect, so why are you paying more into your escrow?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Your taxes are the same this year as last year. The new assessments have not gone into effect, so why are you paying more into your escrow?
It's been adjusted according to the estimated taxes for next year. I actually called and asked about this myself because I wasn't sure. They said it will be adjusted back down if/when the assessment value changes.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM

598 posts, read 748,081 times
Quote:
It's been adjusted according to the estimated taxes for next year. I actually called and asked about this myself because I wasn't sure. They said it will be adjusted back down if/when the assessment value changes.
You are still paying into your own escrow for now. They will pay taxes according to the county tax bill which is based on current rates, not the estimated next year rates. So if the new assessed value is indeed higher, you will either get a refund once they pay the tax or the remainder will be used towards next year tax bill. Either way you should not be loosing your money in this case.
Make sure you keep an eye on it though as they can screw it up.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
You are still paying into your own escrow for now. They will pay taxes according to the county tax bill which is based on current rates, not the estimated next year rates. So if the new assessed value is indeed higher, you will either get a refund once they pay the tax or the remainder will be used towards next year tax bill. Either way you should not be loosing your money in this case.
Make sure you keep an eye on it though as they can screw it up.
Hmmm, I think another call is in order. The person I spoke to didn't seem too certain of what they were saying, but that's been the case with all of my communications with the mortgage people thus far, haha. I really can't see another reason for my escrow payment rising that much. I know enough to determine that it is not in line with this year's taxes. Perhaps someone made a mistake...time to investigate.

I, at least, do understand how the escrow works and that I'm not actually losing any money. It's just annoying. However, the lack of clear understanding is more annoying, to me.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Get a new lender.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Get a new lender.
You know, the lender actually screwed up this year's tax payment, to boot. Thankfully, I caught that mistake and was able to get it straightened out with the county.

I'm going to go ahead and wager that this is probably a second mistake. I do not like these guys, hahaha.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You know, the lender actually screwed up this year's tax payment, to boot. Thankfully, I caught that mistake and was able to get it straightened out with the county.

I'm going to go ahead and wager that this is probably a second mistake. I do not like these guys, hahaha.
Go to a local bank that does not sell its mortgages.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Wow, I would go nuts if they raised my payment for escrow prior to it taking effect. I have never had to deal with escrows, but that would make my blood boil. WOW!!! Try and do a refi and see if you can pay your own taxes. F them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: