Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastad View Post

By places I mean businesses which serve the public: places to get a bite from, Walmart, convenience stores etch.
Get a bite from the 24-hour Eat'N'Parks. Or go to Mad Mex before midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Regarding Downtown retail, I'm not sure it had to die out. I mean, downtown retail in many cities has followed the same trajectory, but as someone pointed out to me, it's still going on strong in some places. Most notably NYC, but also Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and San Francisco. Yes, these are all wealthier/more gentrified cities than us, with more tourist attractions (although I'm doubtful this is true regarding Seattle) in and around Downtown, but there is still a mixture of upscale and downscale shopping.

That said, the failures of the Murphy administration to actually revitalize downtown shopping suggests to me this ship has sailed here for the time being. We should continue to concentrate on putting more housing units into downtown, as we have been. Once there's enough residential density, you'll see more retail opening, and shops with longer hours. Given the new Downtown residents skew wealthy (or at least, have more disposable income), they'll probably be pretty upscale as well. Whether this is enough to have a mega-Walnut Street form downtown, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully enough of the small buildings downtown survive by then that it's an option though.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM

395 posts, read 482,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This doesn't make any sense. You're talking about generic convenience stores and Walmart all over the Pittsburgh area? Sure there might be an odd place here and there that closes early, but it's not the norm for such things. It's no different here than anywhere else. The Walmart Supercenters are open 24/7. Sheetz is open forever, they close for nothing.
I'm not just talking about convenience stores and Walmart Supercenters, I'm talking about other places too, like, for example, Value City Furniture, independently owned pizza shops, Costco, every restaurant except for Eat 'n Park, Kings, Denny's and apparently Mad Mex and some drive thrus. Places should stay open until at least 10 or 11 not 8 or 9. Pizza shops for example stay open until midnight in OH where as here they close at 10.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,797,669 times
Quote:
I'm not just talking about convenience stores and Walmart Supercenters, I'm talking about other places too, like, for example, Value City Furniture, independently owned pizza shops, Costco, every restaurant except for Eat 'n Park, Kings, Denny's and apparently Mad Mex and some drive thrus. Places should stay open until at least 10 or 11 not 8 or 9. Pizza shops for example stay open until midnight in OH where as here they close at 10.
You seem to be complaining that Pittsburgh doesn't have any establishments that stay open past nine, except for the ones that do.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
You seem to be complaining that Pittsburgh doesn't have any establishments that stay open past nine, except for the ones that do.
The problem is that most of the few that do, suck. Or at least that was my experience living there and on subsequent visits.

For pizza places to close at 9 or 10pm is unheard of in the known universe unless their business is almost entirely sit-down.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,709 times
Quote:
Value City Furniture, Costco, etc are all corporate stores. Those are going to have set hours no matter what city you're in. If you don't believe me, feel free to go to their websites and check the hours for said stores in various cities. 9 PM is a very standard retail closing time across the entire country with exceptions for places like Vegas.

Tessaro's in Bloomfield, where I had dinner last night is open until 11 nightly. Benjamin's on Western Avenue where I ate Sunday is 10 / 11 weekdays/weekends. Mineo's and the related pizza shops are open until 1 am during the week...2 am on the weekends. I'm not sure you have a valid statement...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,231,721 times
Quote:
er - i know lots of restaurants that stay open past 10pm. In downtown and East End ... they ain't hard to find.

And pizza - Mineo's for example - open until 1-2am. Piccolo Forno until 11pm. Proper Brick Oven and tap Room open 11pm-1am depending on the night. 3 examples in 3 minutes ...

Old 01-21-2014, 05:26 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,074,186 times
Value City in St. Clairsville Ohio (closest store to Steubenville, about 40 miles away) is open until 9:00 PM, Monday-Saturday and until 7:00 PM on Sunday. Same as the three Value Citys in the Pittsburgh region.

Seems like a strange place to want to go late at night, though.

Are you Mrs. Zman?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Look you are making a blanket complaint which has no basis in fact.

First you named things such as Walmart and convenience stores. That is easily demonstrated to not be true. So now you're on to a new list.

First, Costco is not open long hours partly because of their commitment to employees. They close at 8:30 on weeknights and 6 on Saturdays, unheard of for a big box. But this is chai wide policy. I'm sure there is no Costco in Steubenville so that is just your unfamiliarity with the chain.

Next, Value City Furniture, are you serious? Show me any furniture store that's regularly open past 9. Not in most places. Not even in Ohio as already noted.

Finally, there are in fact plenty of restaurants and pizza places open past 9 in the wide Pittsburgh area. I don't know where precisely you are looking so it wouldn't do a lot of good to throw out examples. If you're having zero luck you are not trying very hard. There are certainly some places that close earlier. I know of one that I like and is worth getting to earlier if in the vicinity. 3 guys run the place and they need to sleep sometime, hey. But it's nothing close to being every place other than x, y and z closes early.

So what's next? You're going to claim in all seriousness that they roll up the streets at 9?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
Quote:
That is a bunch of gorgonzola. I know of many pizza shops in Pittsburgh that stay open until 2 or 3 AM. They are all independently owned. I know I know..."But in Ohio..." "I mean I mean...just ...like.....places.....you know."

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 01-21-2014 at 09:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh