Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 05:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Apparently Pittsburgh is doing OK in terms of immigrants from the "BRIC" countries: Brazil, Russia, India and China. It appears to be in the second-highest quintile of all major MSAs in the United States for each group of immigrants, according to Aaron Renn.

Brazil: Pittsburgh has between 1,085 and 2,435 Brazilian immigrants, placing it in the same quintile as Austin, Denver, Detroit, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Orleans, Phoenix, Providence, Riverside/San Bernardino, Salt Lake City, San Jose and Seattle.

Among peer MSAs (1,500,000 to 3,000,000 population), Pittsburgh has more Brazilian immigrants than Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Nashville, Portland, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio and Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and fewer Brazilian immigrants than Charlotte, Orlando and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Russia: Pittsburgh has between 1,755 and 4,119 Russian immigrants, placing it in the same quintile as Austin, Baltimore, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Hartford, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, Phoenix, Rochester, San Diego, St. Louis and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Among peer MSAs, Pittsburgh has more Russian immigrants than Charlotte, Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Nashville, Providence, an Antonio and Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and fewer Russian immigrants than Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose and Seattle.

India: Pittsburgh has between 9,433 and 16,374 Indian immigrants, placing it in the same quintile as Austin, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Hartford, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Orlando, Portland, Raleigh, Richmond, Riverside/San Bernardino, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Among peer MSAs, Pittsburgh has more Indian immigrants than Denver, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Nashville, Providence, San Antonio and Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and fewer Indian immigrants than Baltimore, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Sacramento, San Jose and Seattle.

China: Pittsburgh has between 5,998 and 18,706 Chinese immigrants, placing it in the same quintile as Austin, Baltimore, Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Denver, Detroit, Hartford, Kansas City, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Orlando, Phoenix, Portland, Providence and St. Louis.

Among peer MSAs, Pittsburgh has more Chinese immigrants than Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Nashville, San Antonio, Tampa/St. Petersburg and Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and fewer Chinese immigrants than Las Vegas, Sacramento, San Jose and Seattle.

Sometimes I get to thinking that the utter lack of a Hispanic population in Pittsburgh artificially skews its "diversity index" down (Brazilians speak Portuguese, and, thus, are not Hispanic), and that it's more diverse than we realize when it comes to European and Asian immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Also these immigrants are more educated and therefore work and succeed.

Coming from Long Island, and absolutely no offence to the hard working successful immigrants from south of the border, I would rather move to an area that isnt so government dependant. I will not miss seeing 200-300 men lining the 7-11's waiting for work.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
dorthy,

I have to agree with you, but on the other hand you have to give them credit since they're willing to work. The only thing holding many back is the language barrier. Believe it or not they seem to manage. Living in California I know the issues and there isn't an answer.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I knew about the Indian and Chinese immigrants, and Russia doesn't surprise me, but the relative number of Brazilian immigrants was news to me.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:45 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
I know this doesnt speak for the region or even Allegheny County......but when I was home for Mermorial Day weekend going by what I saw Downtown you think Pittsburgh was a Strong Melting Pot...Whites Blacks Indians Asians Hispanics all bustling along I almost couldnt believe I was in the Burgh.....I have this raction everytime Im home because its Very diffrent from the Downtown Pittsburgh that i remember when I left in '97....

Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Blackbeauty,

It's too bad it was ever an issue. Thanks for your observation.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Blackbeauty,

It's too bad it was ever an issue. Thanks for your observation.
The only reason why it was ever an issue is because federal immigration policies opened up at the exact same time that Pittsburgh's economy was going into the ****ter. As a result, when it comes to demographics like racial diversity and international immigration, Pittsburgh is behind by about 20 years. It doesn't mean that Pittsburgh is unwelcoming, and there's really nothing that can be done about it except for allowing time to normalize it the same way it's normalizing both the median age and the college attainment rates in the region.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Interesting thread. Hopefully this continues through 2020

Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Strengthening ties with China:

CMU, China's Tsinghua start dual-degree - Pittsburgh Business Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh