Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygoat View Post
Wow. just the friendly Pgh neighbors with sweet cups of sugar.
Thanks for reminding me that I owe my neighbor a stick of butter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 105,232 times
Thank you HOPES, I'm going to look into all of the things you've posted. I'm also going to find out where the library is. I'd love to know where you've been finding the info so that I can do it myself and not have to have you do my dirty work for me. Where we used to live I started my own playgroup and had 50 members and we met several times a week. Here it's more difficult to do that bc there aren't a bunch of military wives/mom's sitting at home waiting for something to do. haha. But thanks again I'm really excited they have mommy and me things here. I'm also going to the local Y today to see what they offer. Have a good day everyone.
P.S. I'm thinking about the making cakes idea as well. We'll see.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:09 PM

141 posts, read 721,870 times
I have to agree with Maaz....Meetin Pittsburgh. You sign up, and go and meet people (in groups of course). While not specifically for kids, it seems interesting to me. I too moved here and knew almost no one.

I have attended one "event" so far (and saw Maaz, but wasn't introduced...but I made the birthday cake at the picnic!), and hopefully made some new friends. Here is the link again: MEETin.org - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in your city.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:59 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
I have a few aquaintances who are in MeetIn, but I checked out the site and it's a little too camp counselor-ish for me ("We're going to have so much fun! Yay!") My friends seem to like it, but I'm a little more Wednesday Addams, I guess.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
I'm a little more Wednesday Addams, I guess.
HAH! Loves it! Wednesday Adam's is great!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM

101 posts, read 353,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a few aquaintances who are in MeetIn, but I checked out the site and it's a little too camp counselor-ish for me ("We're going to have so much fun! Yay!") My friends seem to like it, but I'm a little more Wednesday Addams, I guess.

There are over 900 members in Pittsburgh, though probably only 200-300 really attend any events. Most events have anywhere between 5 and 30 people attend. Everyone is different. I wouldn't stereotype based on a few members who seem to be 'camp counselor-ish' type. That said, I never knew that having fun was a bad thing.

Maaz

Old 09-26-2007, 06:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaz View Post
There are over 900 members in Pittsburgh, though probably only 200-300 really attend any events. Most events have anywhere between 5 and 30 people attend. Everyone is different.
What is the age range of the members?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
That said, I never knew that having fun was a bad thing.
It's not. MeetIn just didn't seem like my kind of fun--if you're more extroverted and outdoorsy, it's probably perfect.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM

101 posts, read 353,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What is the age range of the members?
Most of us are in our 20's and 30's though there are some in their 40's and a few in their 50's. I'm 33 and I'd say a little under half of the friends I made on there are younger and the rest of them older by maybe few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not. MeetIn just didn't seem like my kind of fun--if you're more extroverted and outdoorsy, it's probably perfect.
No problem. I just wanted to make sure that anyone wanting to make friends understood what the site was about and then he/she can join at his/her descretion.

I'll admit that I am a bit outdoorsy. While there are many outdoor events, there are many indoor ones as well.

I disagree about the extroverted thing, though. I'm certainly not extroverted. Some members are, others are not.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 PM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyava1 View Post
We're a young couple with a toddler that just moved to a Pittsburgh Suburb and are looking to make some new friends. We don't really know anyone in the area. We love having game/dinner nights, people to just hang out with and talk, go shopping, movies, etc. If you have kids that's a plus but definitely not a necessity to be friends. Sorry if this sounds like a lame "ad" but I didn't really know anything else to do. We haven't really met any of our neighbors (I guess I thought they'd be more welcoming to new neighbors) and I just don't know where to start. This is our first move and it's a change from where we're from and we're just trying to adjust. Thanks everyone. Have a good day.
I just direct messaged you...I hope it makes sense....I was in the middle of work---any questions, DM me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh