Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM

40 posts, read 74,828 times

Advertisements

I just committed occupational suicide by moving to Massachusetts from Brooklyn last year: First Boston, now Worcester. I' am a line cook by trade and I' am trying to gain some financial traction so I can get my A.A.S. in Surgical Technology but haven't found anything stable in Boston and absolutely nothing in Worcester. NYC has more employment opportunities in my field and the wages are fine but I would like an upgrade in the quality of life. I' am willing to move back to NY but I can't see myself living/studying in a basement of an apartment in a windowless room with no wi-fi and neighbors listening to their stereo system at full volume. What does Pittsburgh have to offer and is it true that Pittsburgh will be experiencing cuts in mass transit? Bars and some restaurants stay open late so that concerns me a little and hospitals, of course, is a 24 hour affair. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon View Post
I just committed occupational suicide by moving to Massachusetts from Brooklyn last year: First Boston, now Worcester. I' am a line cook by trade and I' am trying to gain some financial traction so I can get my A.A.S. in Surgical Technology but haven't found anything stable in Boston and absolutely nothing in Worcester. NYC has more employment opportunities in my field and the wages are fine but I would like an upgrade in the quality of life. I' am willing to move back to NY but I can't see myself living/studying in a basement of an apartment in a windowless room with no wi-fi and neighbors listening to their stereo system at full volume. What does Pittsburgh have to offer and is it true that Pittsburgh will be experiencing cuts in mass transit? Bars and some restaurants stay open late so that concerns me a little and hospitals, of course, is a 24 hour affair. Thank you.
The cost of living is much lower here compared to NYC and Boston. You should have no problem finding a stable job as a line cook. Restaurants are desperate for dependable people. If you live and work in city neighborhoods, you should be able to get around via public transporation. Those neighborhoods will have the least cuts compared to the suburbs. It's very possible you can coordinate an apartment and work within biking distance too.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 PM

40 posts, read 74,828 times
Pittsburgh is bike friendly?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Bicycling Magazine ranked Pittsburgh 28th of the 50 top bike friendly cities in the US.

28. Pittsburgh, PA | Bicycling Magazine

Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,001,982 times
If you're trying to find a comfortable place to live and study while you are in school, Pittsburgh is certainly a better option than NYC! Hands down, no contest. Even without a roommate, $500 is a completely do-able range for a 1 bedroom or studio in a safe area with access to transit.

It's true that the Port Authority is facing transit cuts. If you stay in the core urban area (East End, North Side flats, South Side Flats), or along the busways or T (our light rail line), then the routes are basically safe from the cuts. It's also worth pointing out that walking and biking are both viable options in Pittsburgh so long as you choose a place with that in mind.

If I were you, I would figure out where you'll be going to school (and which hospitals you'll be doing clinical stuff at) and work from there. It shouldn't be hard to choose a neighborhood within walking distance, or at least bussing distance, and so many neighborhoods have business districts that you should be able to easily find low-wage retail/food service work near your apartment without a problem.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,543,957 times
I have a relative who is a chef and has a decent job but he wouldn't exactly rave about his job prospects in the burgh. In short pay sucks her from Chefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh