Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
If bike theft is what East Liberty is receiving a bad rep for these days, I'd call that incredible progress.
Exactly. Bike theft is rampant in thriving sections of NYC, Chicago, SF and so on. It sucks, but it isn't an indicator of any broader problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When you bury dead people do they ever come back? Places down in the dumps will never return to their former glamour.
Yep. never before in the history of cities has a depressed area ever gentrified. What were all these professional developers, national retail chains, and so on thinking?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When you bury dead people do they ever come back? Places down in the dumps will never return to their former glamour.
reality contradicts this statement. neighborhoods change, for better and for worse. that's just like... a fact. i don't even know what to say. places down in the dumps return to their former glamour (or achieve glamour they previously never had) all the time, all over the country and all over the world.

also a white dude broke into my house when i lived in greenfield. i guess based on this extensive study of a single experience, greenfield is still the old greenfield and people should watch out for white people!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
An attempted bike theft. . . hide ya kids, hide ya wives! Better hustle back to 'the borough' and barricade the door.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
We'll never be like some places in Europe, where you only need a cheap wheel lock.
Certainly not in any city in the US. There is tons of crime in all cities here and probably more crime than most any other country. In some towns in northern PA I see kids still leave their bikes on the front lawn at all hours and it is no big deal. Hope they never move to a city and try that. It would be gone in less than an hour.

I am not sure what happened to the guy that had his bike stolen? Not sure if they ripped it right from his hands or what? He lost his bike and GPS as well as goods he purchased, so he must have been blindsided. I felt really bad for him. He was so shaken up. No doubt a life changing experience for the poor guy and who knows if he will ever ride a bike again in that area or even ride a bike again? I heard they have cameras there, but no idea if it will help? It is sad there are so many projects and dumps all over the East Liberty/Larimer area and that is indeed why that area will never be safe enough for the wealthier set and certainly not a family friendly area. Oh guess what time this happened? In broad daylight at about 7:00PM and there were people everywhere. Of course no one helped the poor fellow losing his bike to the lowlife punks.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
If one incident of theft is an indicator that an area is horrid, then by that measurement I pretty much live in Karachi.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Which business did this happen in or around?

I read the police blotter daily for zone 5 and the most common crime, almost 3 or 4 times per week, is retail theft on the 400 block of N Highland. That's Home Depot and they have an anti-shoplifting team, so it gets reported after it happens rather then when they are doing their monthly inventory. That's the most common crime in the area.

My bike was stolen from my porch while locked up in Oakland years ago. My sister in law's bike was stolen from inside our house in Bloomfield. My brother's bike was stolen in troy hill when a friend borrowed it. 2 of the 3 bikes were recovered. Check the bike-pgh forum. Unfortunately bike theft happens far too often.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Also, I bike a lot and I feel safer riding through East Liberty than Fox Chapel. I might have to dodge jay walkers or lock my bike when I'm not on it in East Liberty, but I don't have to worry about a teenager running me down at 50 MPH with his parent's SUV.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:03 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Last year only the Southside Flats had more theft than East Liberty (the lion's share happened south of the Bvld).
Considering the volume of people in comparing those to parts of the city, that would certainly make East Liberty the king of crime per volume of people when comparing those two. East Liberty is generally dead, with hardly anyone walking the streets. I am there at ALL hours because I work shifts ranging around the clock and there is very little activity. Much less activity than 15 years ago. Compare that to the South Side Flats and... well you can't compare them at all. Sad, but there are just too many "projects" for that area to really be nice. Also Larimer is almost East Liberty since they are next to each other and it if a level walk. It just is not going to happen anytime soon. That event in broad daylight will sour TONS of people that were there and who knows if they will return or not? I mean it was extremely busy in the parking lot and lets face it, it just isn't safe.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
This is silly. My nephew's bike was stolen off of his porch in Squirrel Hill. Does that make Squirrel Hill a bad neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh