Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM

424 posts, read 626,119 times

Advertisements

I don't like to focus on negative news (I don't work for WPXI), and don't like to cherry-pick stories and take a sky-is-falling attitude about everything (I don't write letters to the Post-Gazette editors). Squirrel Hill is a nice place to live, is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the city, is close to just about everything, and is lucky enough to still have bus service. But crap like this seems to make the news with some regularity:

Quote:
The teens showed the woman the gun and demanded her purse near the Giant Eagle on Murray Avenue at about 11:50 p.m., police said.
Young suspects rob woman in Squirrel Hill with pellet gun | TribLIVE

That location is open until 1 am, so it's not like there's no reason to be out and about at midnight. And even if that GE weren't open, that's no excuse.

The banks on Murray seem to get hit pretty often, and a toy store on Murray was robbed a few months ago, too. *Sigh . . . *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Street crime has been trending down in Pittsburgh (and in urban areas in general), but it does still happen. Fortunately these people were caught.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,682,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Street crime has been trending down in Pittsburgh (and in urban areas in general), but it does still happen.
Might have something to do with the fact that we have the highest incarceration rate on Planet Earth, but that's for another thread.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,758,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post

That location is open until 1 am, so it's not like there's no reason to be out and about at midnight. And even if that GE weren't open, that's no excuse.
Maybe she works the second shift, 4-11. People don't ALL work 8-5, some have different hours.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Might have something to do with the fact that we have the highest incarceration rate on Planet Earth, but that's for another thread.
I think we need to increase the size of the jails and up the ante. People shouldn't have to live like this.

Brian, tell that women that got robbed at gunpoint about your statistics. I am sure she will be happy to hear that.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,668,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Street crime has been trending down in Pittsburgh (and in urban areas in general), but it does still happen. Fortunately these people were caught.
2 out of 3 were caught.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
I don't like to focus on negative news (I don't work for WPXI), and don't like to cherry-pick stories and take a sky-is-falling attitude about everything (I don't write letters to the Post-Gazette editors). Squirrel Hill is a nice place to live, is one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the city, is close to just about everything, and is lucky enough to still have bus service. But crap like this seems to make the news with some regularity:
I agree with you on all points. I was just in the Northwest Savings bank the other day and was telling them how much I love Squirrel Hill, and we both agreed that it's a real mix of people who hang around the shopping and dinning district. I can see how a bank could easily be robbed there, as the streets are always packed and sidewalks are always full, making it very easy for someone to blend in.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
2 out of 3 were caught.
Good that they got two and are put in jail. Hope they are put away more than a few weeks and are in there for a few years to think about the terror they put that poor women though.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Good that they got two and are put in jail. Hope they are put away more than a few weeks and are in there for a few years to think about the terror they put that poor women though.
Just heard they are being charged as adults.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM

424 posts, read 626,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Maybe she works the second shift, 4-11. People don't ALL work 8-5, some have different hours.
No no no, that's not what I meant. I meant (and probably should have typed) "that's no excuse for somebody to have to worry about getting mugged outside Giant Eagle". Doesn't matter what time of day it is, of course, nobody should have to live in fear of their neighborhood . . . but it's not like the place had closed 4 hours earlier, presumably it was still lit up and people were out and about.

I've worked plenty of overnight shifts, too, and appreciate places that don't close at 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh